The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force User's Handbook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force User's Handbook Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm not a fan of crossing over Feats. If there's a place for them at all, they should be incorporated either into an Advantage / Disadvantage system, or as specific actions that can be performed with existing skills, just at higher Difficulty. For example, someone wrote up the D20 Feat Walk On Walls as a Force Power in the Force Power Conversion book. IMO, this should be included either as a high Difficulty option for Climbing/Jumping, or as a part of an Acrobatics or Gymnastics Advanced Skill, which can then be boosted by use of Enhance Attribute, not as a distinct, specific Force Power.

I know that they've incorporated a lot of the non-Force feats into the other skills. I also know that they've incorporated most of the Force feats into known powers or created new ones. The primary reason I thought about doing d6 conversions of Attuned, etc., is to come up with a way of explaining how a Jedi might have access to the various telepathic powers that were listed in the Hero's Guide that I made conversions for. Obviously, a Jedi from a species that is naturally telepathic, like an Iktotchi, will have access. But what about the non-telepathic species? You have Aryn Leneer, the Force empath from the Old Republic. She's human, and I think being a Force empath grants her the right to learn the various telepath powers. I also think given their affinity for affect mind, Jedi from the Halcyon/Horn bloodline would also have access. But how do you determine if a Jedi has access to those powers? Does a Jedi's Force skills need to be at a certain level for that to happen? And if so, what's that level? What must the Jedi's Force skills be at to learn them? There are no such establishments in d6. The closest I can come up with are the d20 feats I indicated. A Jedi having the right combination of those feats will allow the Jedi the right to learn the telepath powers, in my opinion. I've asked if anyone might have a suggestion as to how a Jedi might be allowed to learn those powers in d6 terms rather than d20.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feats, classes, levels, and hit points are the Dark Side. I have spoken.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Feats, classes, levels, and hit points are the Dark Side. I have spoken.

Okay then. Do you have a suggestion as to how I can establish whether or not a Jedi from a non-telepathic species is eligible to learn telepathic powers using d6 rules? A Jedi needs to have 8D in Sense to be considered a Force empath, or something along those lines?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the problem is; humans are not a telepathic species, yet those who are Force Sensitive can learn Telepathy and related abilities by improving and expanding their Sense skill.

If you're talking about species that are telepathic, you need to establish whether or not that telepathy is Force-based or the result of some other biological function, ala the Gotals or the Horteks. In the latter case, it would be represented by a Special Ability of some sort.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way I see the powers of the Telepath featured in the Ultimate Alien Anthology.

You have receptive telepathy, projective telepathy, affect mind, control mind, and illusion. Force powers that we've seen the Jedi use. All of the previously established in the WEG books. Fine. Put them aside for the moment.

Now we have the Telepath powers introduced from Ultimate Alien Anthology. My conversions of these powers are namely psychic citadel, thought sensor, mind shard (telepath), mind probe, create receptacle, neural storm, psychic scourge, thought bomb (telepath), and psychic avatar. The only one of those that I think we've seen in the books, comics, and/or films is mind probe. Think of what Kylo Ren did to Poe Dameron and Rey in The Force Awakens. The Iktotchi and other species more than likely knew how to use these abilities. Fine. But at the beginning of the Jedi Order, the Jedi probably didn't know this powers. When the Iktotchi and other similar species joined the Jedi Order, they learned the ways of the Force. At times, they might have used their species' telepathic abilities when the circumstances required them to do so. The other Jedi witnessed or otherwise sensed this, but they didn't know how to do this. Like you said, these were abilities used by the telepathic species without using the Force. My thinking is that over the course of time, the Jedi studied these telepathic abilities and found ways of duplicating these abilities with the Force. Thus, a Human or Rodian Jedi could learn to use neural storm just like an Iktotchi could.

However, aside from mind probe, none of the other telepath powers have ever been seen. So why is that the case? I think it's because only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these powers. That's because they need to show they have a preference, talent, or inclination towards those powers. Consider Darth Bane and Darth Zannah. Bane saw that Zannah was showing certain skills or aptitudes. He consulted Revan's holocron, and learned about the Sith Sorcerer and the tests necessary to determine if one has the talent to become one. He gave Zannah the tests. She passed and learned the unique powers associated with the Sith Sorcerer/Sorceress. Then there's the Horn/Halcyon bloodline. All of the members have shown to have a high aptitude towards mind-influencing powers. And then there's Aryn Leneer, who was identified as a Force empath. It's because of her than I came up with the idea of Force telepath and Force mentalist, with the Horn/Halcyon being prime candidates for the latter.

Now my question is this: other than species-related and bloodline abilities, how can a Jedi become a Force empath, Force telepath, or Force mentalist, to use my terms, and become qualified to learn the various telepath powers. The answer is within the Force skills, exactly how? How high do they need to be for a Jedi to be able to learn these powers or be considered a Force empath, for instance. That's my question. That's what I need an answer for.

So can anyone offer a suggestion?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be including an area, say for fan made powers?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
However, aside from mind probe, none of the other telepath powers have ever been seen. So why is that the case? I think it's because only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these powers.

Respectfully, I reject this premise. We have seen projective telepathy and receptive telepathy from non-telepathic species in the films. Luke projected his location to Leia in TESB so the Falcon could fly back and pick him up under Cloud City. Vader read Luke's mind in RotJ on the Death Star. Luke and Vader are humans.

Why should we put these film powers aside for the sake of considering non-WEG powers we haven't seen? IMO you are overcomplicating it and there is no justification to say only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these powers. You can choose not to bother including converted powers never seen in Star Wars, or you can choose an easier explanation. A simple reason the powers may never have been seen might be that the masters of the Jedi we have seen did not know these powers so therefore could not teach them to their apprentices. If the powers must exist, then they could just be rare powers. No need to contrive a crunchier rule for that.

Now if you want to say that telepathic species have reduced difficulties in using any telepathic Force powers that give them abilities beyond what their normal species abilities are, I think that's reasonable.

garhkal wrote:

He seems open to all powers, so you should just post your powers (if you haven't already) and link them here for him. He'll probably include them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:
However, aside from mind probe, none of the other telepath powers have ever been seen. So why is that the case? I think it's because only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these powers.

Respectfully, I reject this premise. We have seen projective telepathy and receptive telepathy from non-telepathic species in the films. Luke projected his location to Leia in TESB so the Falcon could fly back and pick him up under Cloud City. Vader read Luke's mind in RotJ on the Death Star. Luke and Vader are humans.

Why should we put these film powers aside for the sake of considering non-WEG powers we haven't seen? IMO you are overcomplicating it and there is no justification to say only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these powers. You can choose not to bother including converted powers never seen in Star Wars, or you can choose an easier explanation. A simple reason the powers may never have been seen might be that the masters of the Jedi we have seen did not know these powers so therefore could not teach them to their apprentices. If the powers must exist, then they could just be rare powers. No need to contrive a crunchier rule for that.

Now if you want to say that telepathic species have reduced difficulties in using any telepathic Force powers that give them abilities beyond what their normal species abilities are, I think that's reasonable.

garhkal wrote:

He seems open to all powers, so you should just post your powers (if you haven't already) and link them here for him. He'll probably include them.

Like I said before, projective telepathy and receptive telepathy are okay. I haven't seen a human or Rodian Jedi use psychic scourge for example. I think I'm going to go with your suggestion. With the exception of mind probe, the telepath powers are only available to Jedi who come from species with telepathic abilities.

As for including other fan-made powers, I did include wayfinding, a power that was in the A Test of Courage fan sourcebook. So he can either post them here or send me a PM, and I'll consider it. There were some powers at the RPGGamer.org site, but I had already created them or incorporated them into powers I made.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Like I said before, projective telepathy and receptive telepathy are okay. I haven't seen a human or Rodian Jedi use psychic scourge for example. I think I'm going to go with your suggestion. With the exception of mind probe, the telepath powers are only available to Jedi who come from species with telepathic abilities.

That wasn't what I was suggesting, but that totally works too. Some telepathic powers can only be used by telepathic species. That was no special qualifications other than species for certain powers. I like it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then what are you suggesting? If I think it works, I'll use it. Otherwise, I'll alter it so that only telepathic species can use it. Or maybe I can do this - Jedi from telepathic species have learned to duplicate these powers with the Force. They tried teaching it to Jedi from non-telepathic species - no luck. Teaching to Jedi from telepathic species - success. Think of it this way - psychic citadel is an ability Iktotchi can learn. However, some of them don't for some reason. Among them are Iktotchi Jedi. While unable to learn this ability, which is part of their species trait, they can and do learn the variant developed by using the Force. Think of it as overcoming a learning disability.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Well then what are you suggesting? If I think it works, I'll use it. Otherwise, I'll alter it so that only telepathic species can use it.

You were suggesting the idea that only select Jedi from non-telepathic species can learn these unseen telepathic Force powers. I was saying that instead of "select Jedi," just have these be rare pawers available to any student of someone who knows them, and it just so happens that not so many people know them. You then said, they are telepathic-species only powers, and I said that works.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I've gone through everything I can find, with the exception of the recent expansion Old Republic game. Got to spend some time on the Wook doing research for that, since I don't play the game. Anyway, I've got the latest version complete, but I'm not putting it up yet. There are a few books and comics coming in for the High Republic. One thing I know for certain - I want to make the latest version available before Phase II begins.

But when does that happen? One report says Phase II begins in October, but another says August. Can anyone clarify?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little progress report:

I think I found a way to deal with some of the other Force abilities unique to the Force Dyad. Some may seem overpowered, but that can be balanced by having strict requirements for success.

I found another site on the web, and it has a listing of 66 Force powers. Looking at them, I believe most of them have already been covered either by WEG, conversions of WotC products, or are in my Compendium. Need to look at them when my mind is fresh, but I think I spotted a handful that I don't recognize.

Finally, there seems to be no more comics or books to come out until Phase II begins. That won't be until October. I want to make the update available before then. So when should I release it?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im' going to have to spend a long time reading this... Thanks for the great work.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And unlike other works, I'm constantly updating it as new material comes out or as I inadvertently come across info on the web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: