The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Linked Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Linked Skills Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Linked Skills Reply with quote

Since there is a great degree of similarity between some skill sets, e.g. lightsabers and melee combat, blasters and firearms. I'm thinking of playtesting these pairs of skills as being linked, so that they are separated by no more than 1D. For example, if a player were to have 4D dexterity, and improve his blaster to 5D+1, his firearms skill would automatically be rolled at 4D+1 for no CP cost and vice versa. (At least to hit. Clearing jams and such might be rolled at actual skill level.)

Any other suggestions for linked skills?

Complete Starship Construction System
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes a lot of sense to me and I'm interested in hearing your play-testing results. You could also do the driving skills for different technological eras.

That's all I have for real suggestions for now as I tend to run into stuff like
"I'm going to lift myself to get off the side of the cliff"
"I want to persuade the merchant to cut me a better deal"
or "I'm going to try to will my blood to clot"
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about doing this one time, but the mechanics of it seemed a little clunky. It means that you only have to improve one skill, really. For instance, let's say you have Dexterity at 3D, Blaster at 6D, and Firearms is unimproved (3D). With a house-ruled separation of only 1D, your Firearms skill rolls as 5D, despite being only 3D. So, if you wanted to actually get to 6D with Firearms, you'd have to spend 36 CP (if I counted that right). 36 CP to gain 1D of proficiency doesn't make any sense. The remedy for this, of course, is to have the Firearms skill literally pulled along whenever you raise Blaster, meaning that without spending any CP to improve it, your Firearms skill reads as 5D on your character sheet (given 6D in Blaster). By doing this, though, you've essentially rolled the two skills into one, and given the character a -1D unskilled penalty when using firearms.

To me, what makes more sense than this is to go ahead and roll the skills together (with one major caveat that I'll get into shortly)...but I would make Handguns and Long Guns separate skills (a revolver and a blaster pistol would use Handguns, while a bolt-action .30-06, shotgun, and a blaster rifle would use another). That's the skillset differentiation. Clearing a jam is a Technical skill, as is loading or otherwise servicing a weapon. This is my understanding, at least; Dexterity has to do with aim, not knowledge of how to field strip a weapon or clear a jam.

The other major caveat I mentioned is this: any time a character operates something he or she is unfamiliar with, they should get an unskilled penalty. If your Blaster skill (or, if we're using my previous suggestion, Handguns skill) is 6D, and your character picks up a thug's Tipporin Arms GU-9 blaster pistol (made it up just now, so I know your character hasn't used one Razz), he or she suffers a -1D penalty, firing the blaster with a skill level of 5D. However, if they retrieve their trusty DL-44 or someone's E-11, weapons with which they are already familiar, you'd roll their full skill level of 6D (or higher, if they have an applicable specialization, obviously).

You can tailor this however you like, of course, but I suggest that if you are familiar with something made by one manufacturer, it counts as being familiar with their other products (within reason). I know that I can pick up any Glock and shoot competently with it (regardless of model), because I am familiar with my Glock pistols. Likewise, Rebel pilots are often described as making the transition easily from the Incom skyhoppers of their youth to the cockpit of an X-wing, because the craft are so similar. So you might write down "BlasTech blaster pistols", which would cover everything from a DH-17 to a T-6 Thunderer. Or you might write down "Incom air/spacecraft", which would cover everything from a T-16 skyhopper to a T-65B X-wing starfighter. This would require a little more bookkeeping, as you'd have to scribble down the different manufacturers (or whatever) of each handgun/starfighter/etc. your character got familiar with, but that's really not much work at all. I am also a proponent of making specialization naming conventions follow this model, since the current one seems flawed.

Fallon, you should have a PM.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past i had a gm who did a 'sort of linked' skill with the ranged personal weaponry.. How he did it was for every D any of the 4 had (flux disintergrator, blaster, firearms and flamers) you added 1 pip to the roll of the others with no cost. BUT the stat was still what you had increased it too..

EG
Dex 3d+1.. Blaster 6d+1, firearms 4d+2 (5d+1), flux disintergrator 3d+2 (4d+2),
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Linked Skills Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Any other suggestions for linked skills?

Starfighter piloting and space transport operation (at least for sub 100-meter transports). And if we presume Luke learned to fly an X-wing in part by flying a T-47 skyhopper airspeeder and starfighter could be linked.

Speederbike operation and swoop operation.

Some linkage between vehicle blasters and starship gunnery and between starship gunnery and capital gunnery.

- Personally I link swoops to speeders or just eliminate swoop as a separate skill.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climbing/Jumping + Acrobatics
Hide + Sneak
I had some other ideas, but they're eluding me at the moment.

Quote:
The other major caveat I mentioned is this: any time a character operates something he or she is unfamiliar with, they should get an unskilled penalty. If your Blaster skill (or, if we're using my previous suggestion, Handguns skill) is 6D, and your character picks up a thug's Tipporin Arms GU-9 blaster pistol (made it up just now, so I know your character hasn't used one Razz), he or she suffers a -1D penalty, firing the blaster with a skill level of 5D. However, if they retrieve their trusty DL-44 or someone's E-11, weapons with which they are already familiar, you'd roll their full skill level of 6D (or higher, if they have an applicable specialization, obviously).

One issue with this, is who decides that the player is unfamiliar with the weapon? Does the GM make a snap decision on the spot, arbitrarily imposing the -1D penalty at a whim? What if the player is a trained soldier, bounty hunter, or outlaw who has had years of shooting people written in his backstory? Obviously you made up a new brand and model on the spot, but what about existing models? How different is a BlasTech Heavy Pistol from a Sorosuub Heavy Pistol? That seems like an awful lot of book keeping to me. I could see it however when a character who has only ever used blasters his whole life picks up slugthrower and tries to take a shot.

I myself have had some training with pistols in real life, and I can usually figure out the logistics of any handgun after a snap second or two to look it over. Handguns on earth are made fairly uniformly, I don't see why it would be any different for blasters in Star Wars.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. there needs to be some sort of 'logical cut mark'...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thoughts, all! I think I may do just as you suggested, Matthias, at least after I talk it over with my player. Bren, your suggestions also seem especially commonsense to me.

Complete Starship Construction System
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In GURPS there's the idea of skill defaults. Skills are linked conceptually linked to other skills as well as a controlling attribute. For instance the Shortsword skill has several skills listed as defaults, if a character was trying to use a short sort without training in the skill but did have one of the defaults they could wield the short sword using that skill with a penalty. Shortsword defaults to Broadsword-2 and being an Average DX skill another of DX-5.

So if you are trained in the Broadsword skill but pick up a short sword you can use it with your Broadsword skill at a -2 penalty. If you're familiar with one type of sword that's often better than no sword training at all.

A D6 approach doesn't necessarily need to be that complicated but I think it makes sense for skills to be related to one or more others before falling back to the attribute. At the same time in the context of the game I think the RAW system is not bad. With FPs, CPs, and the Wild Die characters can get nice bonuses to untrained skill checks. In D6 it's not a hopeless situation if you really need to use a skill for which you lack training like it might be in some other systems.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren, your suggestions also seem especially commonsense to me.
Thanks, just trying to help. It sounds like too much book keeping to me and for space opera I'm pretty content to ignore things like lack of familiarity - but I understand the desire for more realistic simulation. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's about..

Use of weapon without the skill defaults it to one of the other skills instead of the attribute, at say a -1 pip penalty.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Climbing/Jumping + Acrobatics
One issue with this, is who decides that the player is unfamiliar with the weapon? Does the GM make a snap decision on the spot, arbitrarily imposing the -1D penalty at a whim? What if the player is a trained soldier, bounty hunter, or outlaw who has had years of shooting people written in his backstory?

An excellent point. I'm thinking there's a simple way to make a quick roll based on the character's background and how common/available is, but I would need more time to think of specifics. And I don't think that bookkeeping is necessarily a bad thing (hear me out). As long as it's something you can keep track of quickly and easily (e.g. - scribble down the thing you've just become familiar with on a list on your character sheet), and can be referred to very quickly ("Raven, do you have [whatever] listed? Yes? Great, make your roll at no penalty.") It's when you have to flip through a book (or several) to check something that it's a problem.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Obviously you made up a new brand and model on the spot, but what about existing models? How different is a BlasTech Heavy Pistol from a Sorosuub Heavy Pistol? That seems like an awful lot of book keeping to me. I could see it however when a character who has only ever used blasters his whole life picks up slugthrower and tries to take a shot.

I myself have had some training with pistols in real life, and I can usually figure out the logistics of any handgun after a snap second or two to look it over. Handguns on earth are made fairly uniformly, I don't see why it would be any different for blasters in Star Wars.

We're not talking about a huge penalty; just -1D. For a novice shooter, that -1D is a heftier penalty (which matches what I've seen in novices), but for a practiced handgunner, -1D isn't too major, and is a great reflection of the difference between what you're used to and what you're not. If you shoot nothing but Glocks and you pick up a Kimber 1911 (or vice versa), it's going to feel a lot different. You and I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem, because we've (or at least I have) practiced with a variety of different handgun types (and I'm not claiming to be great, but the diversity has helped me a lot when switching up guns). But we both know that people that shoot nothing but 1911s or Glocks take a bit of time to adjust (or outright say "it's too different, I'll stick to my [insert gun platform here]"). They complain about/remark on the "drastic" difference in grip angle and shape, the difference in trigger feel, and so on and so forth.

This brings me to revisit (and revise) what I said earlier; I know that I suggested manufacturers as what to use to separate familiarizations, but you have to use your own judgement. It's going to make sense for some things, but not necessarily for others. While Glock vs. Kimber handguns makes sense, Kimber vs. Springfield might not, because both manufacturers produce 1911-platform weapons---anyone familiar with a 1911-platform gun made by one manufacturer is going to be familiar with one made by someone else. In this sense, I really do understand that it might be too much to try and figure out...as always, it's your game and if something like this slows things down and complicates things, then toss it! And if you can figure out a familiarization category system that works for you, by all means, use it (and share it here for us to see). Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a fair point Matthias. One idea that I had, was that for practiced shooters may start combat with a -1D penalty, but perhaps the penalty degrades after a few rounds of taking shots. I was thinking that reducing the penalty by a pip every round, or every two might be a nice way to sort of level off the penalties. But limit this to talented shooters (i.e. 5D+ or 6D+) to show that a combat veteran will be able to adapt to a new weapon better than some kid off a farm who's still wet behind his ears.

Another idea for professional combatant characters would be that they get 1 manufacturer per D of blaster at character creation. So, if a Merc starts the game with 6D blaster he gets 6 manufacturers that he's familiar with from his years in the service. Maybe all Rebel templates start the game with Blastech proficiency for free, and Imperials get Sorosuub for free.

My only argument for glock vs anything is that by their very nature, glocks are meant to be user friendly. The safety catch is built into the trigger, and the swayed back grip is designed to be more natural to aim for someone with less combat experience. But I will admit that there are obvious differences between a glock and a 1911. But less major differences between more conventional "modern" pistols like a Baretta and a 1911.

But honestly, I think the "language rule" can be easily adapted to combat veteran templates.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Another idea for professional combatant characters would be that they get 1 manufacturer per D of blaster at character creation. So, if a Merc starts the game with 6D blaster he gets 6 manufacturers that he's familiar with from his years in the service. Maybe all Rebel templates start the game with Blastech proficiency for free, and Imperials get Sorosuub for free.

But honestly, I think the "language rule" can be easily adapted to combat veteran templates.

I actually thought of this, and I like it. The reason I suggested a roll to determine whether or not they are familiar with something the first time they encounter it in a campaign is because just because we as players/gamemasters aren't familiar with Tipporin Arms weapons...doesn't mean a grizzled merc with twenty years of combat experience isn't. That was just my way of solving that. I might incorporate a blend of the two methods into my house rules.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Sounds like a way to go. You'll have to tell me how your play testing goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: