The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Bowcaster... underpowered? My take on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Bowcaster... underpowered? My take on it. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
My problem with the "traditional" bowcaster is that a blast fired from a bowcaster in the films is indistinguishable from other blaster weapons. The scene where Chewie takes out the speeder bike in ROTJ, but TFA also gives the bowcaster plenty of on-screen action, and it behaves much like a blaster there, too.

But I could have sworn that in TFA, once it was fired in the general direction of two stormtroopers, missed and hit the ground near them, and they both went flying, as if there is a concussive area of effect with near misses. Character-scale blasters do not behave like that.

IIRC there was actually 2 scenes similar to that.. Both had multiple troopers get blown back by a quarrel exploding near them..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC there was actually 2 scenes similar to that.. Both had multiple troopers get blown back by a quarrel exploding near them..

I only saw that happen once, during the battle at Mas Kanata's castle. Apart from that, the bowcaster behaved in all other respects like a blaster rifle, even making the same firing noise at discharge. Chewie's bowcaster in TFA visually matches the version used in the prequels, which shows a bowstring. IMO, a bowstring seems somewhat redundant for an energy weapon, but fits well with the under-over concept.

Not that the idea of an energy-driven projectile isn't an interesting one. I just don't think the bowcaster in the films is enough different from blaster weapons to merit being statted differently.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, here is my version of the Bowcaster, as an over-under blaster rifle and crossbow

Bowcaster
Model: Wookiee Bowcaster
Type: Combination Blaster Rifle & Bowcaster
Scale: Character
Ammo: 50 (Blaster Rifle), 6 (Bowcaster)
Cost: 2,000 (Power Packs: 25, Quarrel Packs: 50)
Availability: 1F for Wookies, 3R for all others
Range:
-Blaster: 3-30/100/300
-Bowcaster: 3-10/30/50
Damage:
-Blaster: 6D
-Bowcaster: 4D (for standard quarrels. More advanced quarrels are available that cause greater damage).
Rate of Fire:
-Blaster Rifle: Standard
-Bowcaster: Firing more than once per round requires an Easy Strength roll (Free) to aim. Pump-action design requires a Moderate Strength roll (Standard) to re-cock.
Special: Silent Weapon
The crossbow has almost no firing signature, and can only be detected on a Moderate Perception or Search roll, and even then only if within 20 meters of the shooter.

Capsule: Bowcasters are a signature ranged weapon of the Wookiee people, combining a high-powered blaster rifle with an advanced crossbow design. This combination gives Wookiee warriors and hunters a potent combination of hard-hitting firepower and stealth. In addition, the crossbow can accept a wide variety of custom quarrels for tailored effects, including stun, armor piercing, explosives, tracking darts, chemical delivery, etc.

The bowcaster's component weapons are arranged over-under style, with a high-powered blaster rifle forming the main component. The bowcaster itself is essentially an underslung crosbow of advanced design, and is customized for ease of use, including motor-assisted pump-action recocking. Bowcaster ammunition is much bulkier than standard blaster rifle power packs, so many wookiee gunners tend to carry extra ammunition packs in bandoliers.

Bowcaster quarrel packs contain a maximum of 6 quarrels, along with a power pack that charges the recocking assistance motors. The power packs are intentionally designed with power to spare, so that running out of power with quarrels still in the pack is never an issue. Quarrel packs are generally recovered for later recharging and reloading.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the under is supposed to be equivalent to a blaster rifle, why is the damage more what we see from light repeaters?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If the under is supposed to be equivalent to a blaster rifle, why is the damage more what we see from light repeaters?

Actually, the blaster is the over, with the crossbow the under, which fits with what we see of the bowcaster in the films.

The reason for the higher damage is that this blaster consumes twice as much ammo per shot as does a standard blaster rifle (notice that it has Ammo: 50, not Ammo: 100). The other reason for the higher damage is that it obviously hits harder than Han Solo's Heavy Blaster Pistol (5D Damage), which is my explanation for why Han told Chewie he liked it after using it against the stormtroopers at Mas Kanata's castle.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.. So by using the weapon modification rules i could "using your bowcaster' get a blaster of 7d+2 damage, and a 5d+2 crossbow..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sigh>

Well...

If you feel that WEG's generalized modification rules are the best to use under any and all circumstances for all items in the SWU, and...

if the GM agrees and allows this, and...

if you can find a tech with a Blaster Repair skill in the 9D-10D range (which is what you'll need to have a reliable chance of making the required Heroic roll), and...

if you have the required 2,000 credits on hand (50% of base cost, which is 2,000, but you are talking about modifying 2 different weapons in the same frame, so 50% + 50% = 100%), and...

if the tech in question doesn't also have a high enough Bargain skill to force the price even higher, and...

if the GM in question doesn't decide to block access to any or all of these things for the purposes of furthering the story, and...

if the weapon doesn't end up with some sort of insurmountable complication as a result of a botched roll...

Then yes.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with a 7D+2 bowcaster? As the GM, I always attach a trade off with modifications on weapons. For example, a 5D-->6D blaster pistol runs dry after 4 shots in my games. For whatever reason, the players love these weapons. (Reloading several times each fight does add a certain amount of stress/intensity to the scene... which we all like.)
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's a tradeoff I don't have a problem with it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What's wrong with a 7D+2 bowcaster? As the GM, I always attach a trade off with modifications on weapons. For example, a 5D-->6D blaster pistol runs dry after 4 shots in my games. For whatever reason, the players love these weapons. (Reloading several times each fight does add a certain amount of stress/intensity to the scene... which we all like.)

That's effectively a man portable Heavy e_web right there..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

If we use real life as a comparison, the. 50 cal machingun fires the same round as the M82 sniper rifle, which is man portable. Trade offs would be that the sniper rifle has an ammo capacity of 4 or 5 vs 100 (or more, depending on how many rounds you want to link onto the belt) for the machine gun.

Also, the rifle is semi-auto, not full auto.

Bear in mind: this round was developed to take down aircraft, and in fact is used in a lot of air-to-air armaments (that's basically starfighter or walker scale combat... the same rounds being fired out of man portable weapons).

There are other. 50 founds (albeit different cartridge sized, so different ballistics) that can be fired out of hand guns... or hand cannons, if you prefer.

There is also the. 50 Beaowolf, and there are AR rifles chambered for it.

Anyway, the E-web could be modified using the same rules up to 9D+2.

I don't have a problem with the high damage, personnaly, as long as the gameplay bears out the cost and justification for it. Kinda like how some characters can only have a certain piece of equipment if the player comes up with a good backstory as to why he has it. Only in this case, the weapon is a result of the course of the story/gameplay.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if these weapons were routinely that damaging, then wouldn't the imperials have outlawed them?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Availability: 3R for humans

Restricted and relatively rare, in addition to everything I listed above.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were 3R or X for everyone i could see that, but why would the imperials let a slave race have access to something so deadly?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Availability: 1F for Wookies, 3R for all others.

That's what I actually posted. The idea is, only Wookiees make bowcasters, and they only make them for other Wookiees. Any non-Wookiee has a much more difficult time getting his hands on one by dint of not being a Wookiee (as Wookiee gunsmiths won't sell bowcasters to non-Wookiees).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: