The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Command and Big Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Command and Big Ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Command and Big Ships Reply with quote

Since the bonus scales with the difficulty, maybe this could all be reduced to a certain number of "bonus dice" that ship commanders could allocate to various tasks.

Changing the assignment could be handled much the way changing shields is. Something like 1 difficulty per D moved. Or maybe 1 per 2D depending on ow large the bonuses are going to be. (Oh, BTW, I house rule that shield rolls are only needed when the shield coverage is changed, not each turn. So if someone puts their shields to "double front" the front arc keeps that protection until shields are adjusted (or damaged).

Then we could bypass most of the command rolls, and only require a roll when the CO wants to shift priorities. Like intensifying forward firepower when the forward shields are weak.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Command and Big Ships Reply with quote

I've been doing it that way for years. I only require a roll when something about the situation changes.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Command and Big Ships Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Since the bonus scales with the difficulty, maybe this could all be reduced to a certain number of "bonus dice" that ship commanders could allocate to various tasks.
Sounds promising.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I didn't think you had to make a shield roll every round. Only when you change somethiing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are not explicit on that. It says you specify how many fire arcs you wish to provide shield protection to and which arcs, and then make the check to defeat the appropriate difficulty.

However the example refers to the shield operator activating the shields and allocating the power for the first roll, and then "a few rounds later" something changes and the operator indicates a move to a new arc coverage then makes a new check. That indicates that you do not need to roll every round or attack.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running it that the shields stay as they are until changed. I seems to kmake sense, and also makes shields useful to one man snub fighters. Otherwise the pilots would probably be better off not suffering the MAP for the shield.

I'm considering dropping 1D opff the Hull of most fighters and adding another D to shields (so an X-Wing would be Hull 3D, Shields 2D), but that is another topic.

I'm thinking that the "Command Bonus Dice" should be set a little lower than the normal bonus, and could scale with a table, so as casualties are taken the bonus lowers.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually like to include an ability for an active shield operator to precisely angle the shields (make a starship shield operation roll) to avoid more damage than a passively set shield will do.

Rather than clutter the command thread I will post some thoughts on this as a separate thread. http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3540
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: