The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Grenade Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Grenade Thread Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: The Grenade Thread Reply with quote

OTHER THREADS ABOUT GRENADES (newest to oldest)

KotOR Grenades and Mines [SVET]
Rules for Hand Grenades [HR]
Rules for Grenade Launchers [HR]
Sonic Grenade [SVET]
Ideas for Simplifying Grenades [1e/IAG]
1E Grenade Example
Beaning with a grenade [HR]
About grenades [HR]
House Rules: Grenades [1e]
Grenade Launcher [OR]
Damage type of grenade types [SVET]
Adhesive Grenades [SVET]
Backpack Grenade Dispensers [SVET]
Telekinesis vs Grenade [GM]
Smoke Bomb / Smoke Grenade [OR]
Firecracker grenades? [GM]
Ion Grenades vs. Equipment [GM]
Silencing thermal detonators/grenades?? [GM]
Rebounding grenade damage [HR]
Questions about grenade usage [OR]
Bowcasters, thermal detonators and frag grenades [OR]
The grenade skill [HR]
Grenades and other explosives [HR]
Grenades [OR]

OR = Official Rules
HR = House Rules
GM = Gamemasters
SVET = Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech
1e or 1e/IAG = First Edition and IAG

~~~~~~

This post is just the background to this thread. The next post below is the true 'OP' of this thread...

garhkal wrote:
I am honestly surprised we never saw any grenade use in any of the 6 films...

I was thinking grenades didn't actually appear in the SW films...

taedae wrote:
i thought i saw one in the 2nd episode.
garhkal wrote:
When?
Bren wrote:
There were a lot of explosions AotC and RotS, but I thought those were from rockets. I don't recall a thrown grenade. Maybe in the Clone Wars cartoons?
Bren wrote:
Perhaps grenades were too gritty and real world for the combat in the original films. Of course in TPM the Gungans had energy balls thrown with atlatls that were sort-of grenades. Likely the energy ball was designed to, among other things, short out a Gungan personal shield.

The Gungan energy balls seemed to only "ionize" the vehicle or droid that they hit. When I think of "grenade", I think of a thrown explosive device that potentially can cause normal damage to the nearby surrounding area when it explodes.

Random Numbers wrote:
And there is that thermal detonator...

Thermal Detonators demonstrate the epic scale of the supreme space opera that is Star Wars. It takes an explosive destructive enough to take down an AT-AT Walker from the inside, threaten to blow up Jabba's Court all alien-bounty-hunter-crazy-suicidal style, and blow up the shield generator protecting Death Star II. Pow! Boom!

From the name, I think it is safe to assume that Thermal Detonators were not primarily designed to be a thrown battle field weapon (high-powered grenade). They were primarily meant to be planted for vehicle, equipment and structure demolition as shown by General Solo on Endor. Because of their destructive power they should only be handled by skilled demolition experts. In my game, I make them extremely dangerous. Every use requires a Demolitions roll, and failure or a 1 on the Wild Die creates a chance it could blow up in your face. In my game I also make TDs extremely illegal, expensive and dangerous to even acquire (on the black market) to further deter their overuse.

But TDs exist in the movies, so they definitely do exist in my game world...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Grenades? Reply with quote

This recent discussion of grenades in another thread is the perfect segue into this new thread I 've been thinking about starting for a while. And I don't mind if this thread turns into one of those threads that goes into great depth on game mechanics and suggests various mods to the rules. But the idea I wanted to first bring up is...

I don't like grenades in the Star Wars RPG. I never have. I can identify a couple reasons.

I have to admit that I seem to just have a failing to use them correctly. I can't plan on them tactically when designing encounters. If PCs use them they often take out opponents too easily and/or lead to some awkward scenerios. If I have NPCs use them against PCs, then PCs end up getting much more severely wounded than really serves the story best at that point. And if the roll attack roll fails then grenades can just go anywhere! Maybe there is just too much of an randomness factor for me to deal with, but I rarely use grenades in my game.

The other main factor against grenades is, they just don't seem "Star Warsy" to me. Maybe that opinion is even subconsciously influenced by my failure to wisely manage their use in the game as described above. I'm not sure, but I know I just don't like grenades!

Lately I've been thinking, 'Do grenades even have to exist in my Star Wars Universe?' By my own criteria, if something in Star Wars EU is not from the movies, then I can choose to ignore it for my SW Universe. If "grenades" (defined here as "thrown explosive devices" to disclude TDs that are not primarily thrown and Gungan energy balls that do not explode) do not exist in the films, then I think I'll make grenades very rare in my campaign reality currently being planned. And yes I know grenades can also be shot out of a grenade launcher but that doesn't eliminate any of the problems I have had with them. They are still grenades.

I can't think of any grenade use in the films. Wookieepedia (not that it is 100% accurate) doesn't list any film sources or appearances in their page on grenades. I have already (long ago) generalized the Grenade skill (combining it with Thrown Weapons ) into a skill I call "Throwing."

Thoughts? Your opinions on grenades in Star Wars (or Thermal Detonators)? 'Gamemaster Grenade 101'? Your house rules for grenades?

2022 EDIT:

One thing I asked for in 2011 that I have still never seen is a 'Gamemaster Grenade 101.' If I am so odd in my inability to manage grenades, then there should be a lot of grenade experts here. I need something more than what RAW tells us. As stated, my issues were (1) grenades in the hands of the PCs being too deadly for the enemies thus making the challenge level too easy, and (1) grenades in the hands of the enemies being too deadly for the PCs. I need to know how to balance enemy encounters with PC grenades, and how to balance enemy grenades with PCs. I need this detailed "how-to" for GMs for me to consider having more grenades in my game, but I doubt I'm the only one. Please feel free to reply with the 101 here or start a new thread with it. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We play a SpecOps campaign, so grenades are important (to both us and our enemies). And since the kids play Call of Duty and the like, the grenade seems to be used like it should, especially since I limit each individual to 4 grenades.

In the movies: Leia's TD, Han's strike team on Endor uses proton grenades (which are planted explosives). Off the top of my head that's all I can think of.

I do see your point, though. Hand grenades don't seem very Star Warsy. Same thing with air to air missiles, RPGs, and the like.

One limiting factor could be cost. Isn't a grenade 500 credits? So as GM you say "sure, you can throw a grenade, but realize you are throwing a 500 credit chip?"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Grenade Thread Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In my game, I make them extremely dangerous. Every use requires a Demolitions roll, and failure or a 1 on the Wild Die creates a chance it could blow up in your face. In my game I also make TDs extremely illegal, expensive and dangerous to even acquire (on the black market) to further deter their overuse.

But TDs exist in the movies, so they definitely do exist in my game world...

I do so as well. Had a number of instances of characters 'wanting to toss' a TD and blowing themselves up. I also have it if the one wearing them gets tousled bad (big slam, or gets a 1 on the wild when dodging, he rolls the TD's 2d body to see if anything bad happened.. THEY ARE UNSTABLE!.....

Quote:
I have to admit that I seem to just have a failing to use them correctly. I can't plan on them tactically when designing encounters. If PCs use them they often take out opponents too easily and/or lead to some awkward scenerios. If I have NPCs use them against PCs, then PCs end up getting much more severely wounded than really serves the story best at that point. And if the roll attack roll fails then grenades can just go anywhere! Maybe there is just too much of an randomness factor for me to deal with, but I rarely use grenades in my game.

Being most grenades are 5d damage or thereabouts, they are no more threatening than blaster rifles or heavy pistols.. BUT i have seen many instances of someone suffering MORE from grenades (they always seemed to roll sucky soaks) than they did blaster fire..

Quote:
One limiting factor could be cost. Isn't a grenade 500 credits? So as GM you say "sure, you can throw a grenade, but realize you are throwing a 500 credit chip?"

Plus a rule i always like to use..

FATRICIDE. If an explosive goes off next to someone wearing more explosives, there is a chance those also go off..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
FATRICIDE. If an explosive goes off next to someone wearing more explosives, there is a chance those also go off..

It's evil. Very, very evil. Me likey.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Grenades features quite often in our games. Often involving plastic bags with several grenades for increased effect.

I have made up a whole list with both new grenades and more effective versions of the 'standard' one.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:

One of the 'nastier' deaths i have had that almst resulted in the party getting TPK'ed, was when 8 TDs (the bounty hunters), his Jet pack, all 9 of the rest of the groups Frags, 4 conussion grenades all were in the range of an enemies TD going off.....
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Grenades? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I can't think of any grenade use in the films. Wookieepedia (not that it is 100% acurate) doesn't list any film sources or appearances in their page on grenades.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fragmentation_grenade

Wiki shows clearly (look at the sources in the link) that grenades are purely RPG invention. The number of appearances of grenades in books/comics is very limited, and they were made after RPG.

My PCs use them very very often but I have no problem with that. I make all of the grenades military equipment for the purpose of shopping, and they have to pay the price x4 for them [x2 for L(icensed), x3 R(estricted), x4 M(ilitary)].

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with grenades in any of my games. This probably stems from the fact that a large portion of the storyarcs that we play are at least partially military in nature.

Over the years, I've had a couple of players that just LOVE using grenades. I've also had a couple of players who simply refuse to use them. Most of the rest have used them when and where they are convenient.

In other words, depending on my group of players and which characters they are playing, we may or may not see a lot of grenade use in a given session.

We have never felt the need to use any house rules with explosives of any kind, the official rules "as is" have always worked fine for us.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite it being a big baddie, I've always looked at TD as the 'grenade' of the star wars universe.

So I assume lesser ones might make appearances, as grenades are critical to modern warfare, and you'd think future warfare.

It also makes one think a bit that what we may have for equipment in today's warfare, and yet what star wars would not. Communications seem relatively limited, I mean it seems an average cell phone is a lot more advanced then a com link.

You only see a bit of artillery in Empire Strikes back, and even then it really resembles trench warfare.

To me it seems a lot of star wars combat was model after World War I and II, with the added spaceships.

Anyways though back on topic, grenades to me seem to be important, though I do agree the film don't seem to be made for them beyond TDs. I mean on Endor in Jedi, you'd think the Stormtroopers would be tossing those things like mad into the forest against the ewoks, or even a few frags towards Han and Leia. Then think of the bordering of Tantive IV in a New hope. They could have just tossed in a few frags, as frags themselves wouldn't have been that damaging to the inside of the ship but would have probably ripped most people up.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
... Then think of the bordering of Tantive IV in a New hope. They could have just tossed in a few frags, as frags themselves wouldn't have been that damaging to the inside of the ship but would have probably ripped most people up.
While tossing a few grenades in after breaching the Tantive would have saved the lives of some stormtroopers, the point of boarding was to find "the plans" and the location of the Rebel base. Fragging people before questioning them wasn't really part of the plan. Wink
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
While tossing a few grenades in after breaching the Tantive would have saved the lives of some stormtroopers, the point of boarding was to find "the plans" and the location of the Rebel base. Fragging people before questioning them wasn't really part of the plan. Wink

Good explanation, but what about Stun Grenades? Ups! I know. They weren't created in 1977, yet Wink.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Azai wrote:
... Then think of the bordering of Tantive IV in a New hope. They could have just tossed in a few frags, as frags themselves wouldn't have been that damaging to the inside of the ship but would have probably ripped most people up.

Though in the initial bordering, these stormies won't taking any prisoners Wink

But Nico makes another good point too, stun grenades. Like a flash back.

Personally I kinda like figuring out the warfare of star wars, and keeping it separate from the kind of Modern warfare we have now. Though, as for grenades, I would include them and more likely look at what KOTOR did.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
Bren wrote:

Good explanation, but what about Stun Grenades? Ups! I know. They weren't created in 1977, yet Wink.

Or some glop!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never fails to amaze me how you guys try to find a 'in universe' logic and reason based on the movies and a zillion EU product, with almost as many authors. Even with just the movies its a moot point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: