The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Edge of the Empire: Far Horizons
Age of Rebellion: Onslaught at Arda I

As mentioned in another thread, I received the above books as Christmas gifts in December.

Now I also have Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target, and Edge of the Empire: Lord of Nal Hutta. At first glance, Stay on Target is somewhat disappointing as far as the content. But I think I'll love Lords of Nal Hutta. I love the character of Jabba, and the concept of the Hutt species. The book seems like it has lots of great fluff on Hutt Space. It encourages GMs to great their own Kajidics, and I'm creating an outcast Hutt clan for the Whills Nebula.

I'm also thinking about allowing Hutt PCs in my game by creating a skinnier, more mobile phase in Hutt young adult period where their culture encourages them to go out into the galaxy, having adventures and making a living for themselves without Hutt support for several decades to gain important experience and contacts they'll need when they are later running the family business when they are older. A minority of these young adventuring Hutts may even go through a relatively "good" phase where they could even be inspired to be heroic, but the Hutt elders know that is just a phase the young may go through, and they just have to get those "vulgar" behaviors out of their system before they can return to the clan and grow into a proper Hutt who is above lesser beings and their morality. This way I can have non-evil Hutt PCs and still honor that spirit of the fluff text that says it is impossible for Hutts to not be selfish egomaniacs. The not-so-evil phase a minority of young adult Hutts go through is still a relatively short period in their very long life spans. I think this book will help out a lot with working this up. This will probably be the first FFG book I read straight through, but I've got a very long reading list this year (mostly Star Wars fiction) so I'm not sure when it will be.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fly Casual Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The Fly Casual smuggler's book sounds like an amazing idea, especially since there is still a lot of room expansion over and above the work done in Platt's Smuggler's guide... But at least we have until the 2nd quarter of 2015 for that.

Fly Casual is out now, but a this moment prices are not great. I went ahead and used up my last Amazon gift card to order this and it just came today. (Yes, Amazon delivers on Sundays in some areas, and that includes free shipping orders).

Fly Casual has some nice art, and at first glance it does look like it has some decent fluff text for Smuggler characters. This game puts gamblers, con artists and general scoundrels in with smugglers, so the books does go into those types of characters too. Like the Hutt book above, Fly Casual will probably be a book I read straight through, but it may not be until next year with reading list I'm working through.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm also thinking about allowing Hutt PCs in my game by creating a skinnier, more mobile phase in Hutt young adult period

Why not? Smile

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

The idea makes sense, though. Physiological changes as a creature ages are the norm and, much as I hate to reference Darksaber, there is mention in the EU of young Hutts being wiry and muscular before going to fat as they age.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm also thinking about allowing Hutt PCs in my game by creating a skinnier, more mobile phase in the Hutt young adult period

Why not? Smile

That's a Hut, not a Hutt. Smile

Is that a umbrella force field wand? I wonder what the stats are for that!

crmcneill wrote:
The idea makes sense, though. Physiological changes as a creature ages are the norm and, much as I hate to reference Darksaber, there is mention in the EU of young Hutts being wiry and muscular before going to fat as they age.

I didn't realize there was even an EU precedent for my idea. Cool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
LOL.

Hutt battle armor was some thing that WotC had in one of there works.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That's a Hut, not a Hutt. Smile

They’ve gotta earn that second T!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer at Origins Game Fair, I played one adventure of FFG's Age of Rebellion. The system is oppressively crunchy and I didn't like it. But to be openminded I decided to run one adventure of the game for my family over the course of a couple nights. It was still horrible.

I tried. I really tried.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like D6 better, but it does have some things that are good. Overall one does sort of "figure out" how to read the dice after about 20 minutes, but our games have been so far apart that there's been a bit of a learning curve each time we play (reacquainting ourselves to how they work).

The books are definitely gorgeous, though; the best SW RPG art I've ever seen.

And the character trees are quite fun, as your character grows over time.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought AoR Strongholds of Resistance, and I have to say I like this sourcebook at first look through. It has detailed world entries on the homeworlds of four of my top-tier playable species, Dac (Mon Calamari & Quarren), Kinyen (Gran) and Sullust (Sullustans). It also has detailed world entries for Chandrila, Roche Asteroid Field, Thyferra, Yavin 4, and an original planet, Ord Gimmel. It has mini-capsules on several other worlds. It details a few Rebel bases including Echo Base on Hoth and Tierfon Outpost (of WEG SW Sourcebook fame). It has species entries for Polis Massans, Quarren and Verpine. The artwork is mostly top-notch like usual for FFG SW.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a copy for Christmas, but with my schedule being so busy I haven't had any time to do anything but quickly flip through it.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/11/dawn-of-rebellion/

So it looks like FFG is coming out with their second canon RPG product, a sourcebook for the Rebels and Rogue One era. Looking forward to it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon info on both Rebels and Rogue One. I can't wait, but this is coming out in Q4 2017. That's September at the earliest, December at the latest (assuming they're on time). That means we might have to wait until The Last Jedi is playing in the theaters before we see this book.

Whill, remind me, what was FFG's first canon product?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Force Awakens Beginner Game
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... very interesting. I'd kind of gone off buying the FFG SW line, as I hadn't been able to get enough use out of the fluff, and I'd been focusing on my Doctor Who game lately, but this is something I may have to take a look into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: