The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space Stations In The Stats Compilations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Space Stations In The Stats Compilations? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Space Stations In The Stats Compilations? Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a listing of space station stats in any of the Stat Compilations. Is this an oversight, or am I just looking in the wrong book?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't included Space Stations anywhere so far. I have, however, gathered those stats and plan on eventually producing a small Space Stations supplement.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be a really good compilation. Space Stations make for good settings in tramp freighter-type campaigns.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would REALLY be appreciated would be some floorplans for space stations (or large facilities). I have been looking all over for them though (ie Google), so perhaps the scope puts people off (even if one goes the 'Death Star' way with 'standard' layouts.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
What would REALLY be appreciated would be some floorplans for space stations (or large facilities). I have been looking all over for them though (ie Google), so perhaps the scope puts people off (even if one goes the 'Death Star' way with 'standard' layouts.

If you have a copy of Hideouts and Strongholds, there are several deckplans for space stations in there.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Like the hyperspace maps, I think this was a style decision by WEG. "Who cares what the entire floor of a space station looks like? Just make up details and run with it!" And I think there's a good lesson in that for people like me that have played far more D&D than anything else.

BUT I too would like more specific details in some cases. You might take a look at the old Metamorphosis Alpha game and how it describes/makes use of a gigantic space ship.

And I'd love to see a compiled space station stats booklet, of course Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

I seem to recall something in the Death Star Technical Manual regarding Imperial standardization of equipment. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see smaller scale space stations that used deck plan sections identical to the Death Star. I think even the city sprawl command bridge was identical to the command bridge of an ISD.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Like the hyperspace maps, I think this was a style decision by WEG. "Who cares what the entire floor of a space station looks like? Just make up details and run with it!" And I think there's a good lesson in that for people like me that have played far more D&D than anything else.

For those of you who are interested in this, pick up the Essential Atlas. It does an amazing job of laying out exactly where pretty much every planet in SWU (as of the date of publishing) is located. It doesn't give you hyperspace transit times, but it does give you a general idea. Truly an amazing book.

Barrataria wrote:
And I'd love to see a compiled space station stats booklet, of course Smile

Me too, please.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That could be a really good compilation. Space Stations make for good settings in tramp freighter-type campaigns.

Not really, and that's why I never really gave that supplement much attention. Other than the Death Star Technical Companion, WEG didn't really produce deckplans for space stations. So all this compilation would have is a bunch of stats and the occasional overall picture. And the stats themselves aren't really all that useful, given that space stations are the size of asteroids or small moons, they are usually just too tough to even bother.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the Golans count?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Not really, and that's why I never really gave that supplement much attention. Other than the Death Star Technical Companion, WEG didn't really produce deckplans for space stations. So all this compilation would have is a bunch of stats and the occasional overall picture. And the stats themselves aren't really all that useful, given that space stations are the size of asteroids or small moons, they are usually just too tough to even bother.

That's a similar mindset to the 1E Sourcebook, where they didn't even bother including hull and shield stats for capital ships, because no weapons that the characters had access to would even make a dent in them, so why bother?

The stats do come in handy on occasion, because you never know when you might end up running from one. These fortresses guard major shipping centers, after all, which means that your band of smugglers or Alliance operatives are eventually going to be forced to run a blockade and suffer under a barrage of fire from a battle station of some kind.
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the stats may be too overpowered, but PCs can run around inside the things and sometimes all you need is a little creative nudge to come up with a great idea.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Yeah, the stats may be too overpowered, but PCs can run around inside the things and sometimes all you need is a little creative nudge to come up with a great idea.

How big is it?
How many people are on it?
Is it mobile? Hyperdrive?
What's the defense/weapon complement?
Subsidiary craft?

There's basic information that is helpful to relate one to another.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What goes on there" would be nice too Very Happy
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
jmanski wrote:

How big is it?
How many people are on it?
Is it mobile? Hyperdrive?
What's the defense/weapon complement?
Subsidiary craft?

There's basic information that is helpful to relate one to another.

Also, I tend to run games with new players. Saying, "you don't wanna attack that, it's too powerful," tends to raise the question, "Oh, yeah, HOW powerful?" Of course, I also had a player that, despite my warnings not to, had decided to use a repulsor sled to ram an AT-PT.

Yeah.... that did not go well for him.

What would have been REALLY useful, though, is if WEG had basic deckplans for some of the space stations. I would have used those numerous times over the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: