The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial arts skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial arts skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought something similar, and the framework is certainly there to do it; just use the Cynabar Droid Building rules to build a narrow focus droid (First Aid 5D & Medicine: Bacta Tank Operation) then wire it into the controls of the Bacta Tank. It's not hugely removed from just having a 2-1B on standby to run it for you, save that the 2-1B is more versatile and can provide care above and beyond a simple bacta tank.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I know it breaks the Star Wars aesthetic, but I keep thinking "Why not stick a droid brain in that control panel? And maybe some droid arms to pull people in and out?"

OR, why not have a separate mobile medical droid handle it?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I know it breaks the Star Wars aesthetic, but I keep thinking "Why not stick a droid brain in that control panel? And maybe some droid arms to pull people in and out?"

I was more thinking "Why not manufacture every bacta tank with a built-in smart system to run it".
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I was more thinking "Why not manufacture every bacta tank with a built-in smart system to run it".

Maybe they don't have the power to run both the tank and the droid?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe they don't have the power to run both the tank and the droid?

Power does not appear to be an issue in the SWU, especially for a piece of equipment that would normally be wired into a ship or installation of some kind. Kriff, even a stand-alone bacta tank could still be hooked up to a portable fusion generator. And if normal droids have enough power to function for hours on end independently, then having a simple droid brain plugged into a bacta tank shouldn't be that much of a problem.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't.. Operative word.. ANd if that's the case, why wouldn't all bacta tanks, have portable driods operating them, so no one even needs to have the (A) medicine skill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Shouldn't.. Operative word.. ANd if that's the case, why wouldn't all bacta tanks, have portable driods operating them, so no one even needs to have the (A) medicine skill?

Because having a Medical Droid that can do things besides just operating a bacta tank is more versatile and useful, as well as being mobile, so it can get to the patient and start treatment / stabilize before moving them to the bacta tank.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Budgetary concerns.

Logistical issues.

Regional Availability.

Judgement (droids are effectively calculators that make decisions according to a flow chart; medical care often calls for nuanced or situational judgement calls that cannot be resolved mathematically).

And most importantly, because medical droids typically don't have martial arts skills programming.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, to get this back on track, I updated the original Missile Defense post as previously discussed:
    -Lowest Difficulty Very Easy
    -Martial Artists rolls only their (A) Martial Arts skill
    -Untrained characters can attempt this, but at a Base Difficulty of Heroic.

Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.

I am currently looking for better D6 martial arts rules for my barabel shock boxer and came across the MA supplement on this site. Which unfortunately, lacks any MA set for shock boxing, even though it is a galaxy wide popular sport.

Has anyone already made usable rules for that? Because if not, i would take the task upon myself.

Also, i have yet to find any rules or closer descriptions for shock boxing as an actual competitive sport. I especially have the following questions:

- Is shock boxing basically just regular earth boxing, but with taser gloves or more like Thai boxing, with kicks and jumps?
- how are stark physical differences between fighters handled, like species with more than 2 arms?
- shock boxing gloves are describes as having 3 different stun settings, but for what and how are those handled in a competitive match?

Or should i rather make a new thread for that perhaps?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am honestly not shure about the shock boxing to be honest.
And there are some new martial arts intrduced through cance, Imperial Claose combat fighting as discribed in the books.

However to at least try answer you question on custom Martial Arts, maybe even something fitting your shockboxing concept I can recoment a very nice fan made d6 site, with an extensive martial Arts section, many custom made martial arts, and I think some form of boxing too,

https://swbloodlines.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Martial_Arts
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i was planning to work off this supplement here, which looks like it is pretty identical to that site: https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Other%20Fan-Made%20Supplements/D6%20Martial%20Arts%20Revised.pdf

I was just wondering why shock boxing (or an equivalent martial arts) wasn't in there yet. I guess one could maybe argue, that the moves and techniques of shock boxing are so basic and limited, that it simply works with the basic moves and maneuvers and is designed primarily to work in a ring and non-lethally and not in melee combat.

I mean, there is even a martial art for barabel mercenaries capitalizing on their unique physical attributes. But i am currently playing a barabel shock boxer and want him to fight accordingly, with thundering fists quick as lightning!

Besides, shock boxing gloves on a physically strong and capable fighter are exceptionally effective weapons, which generally won't be registered or treated as such and can hardly be lost and even harder disarmed. Especially those ones jury rigged to do deadly damage instead of stun, for which there are also no stats unfortunately.

Also it is unclear if shockboxing gloves use limited charges from energy cells or if they are just infinitely powered somehow.

There are just awfully many open questions about the whole shock boxing thing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO shock boxing is its own 'form' of martial arts.. Based purely on punching.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure as to shockboxing in particular, but if this is "boxing" then it is covered under the basic techniques, being basically a punching focused martial arts, much like "our" boxing.

Having read thtough a few of the canon books at least, I found that basic boxing as we know it, covers at least the imperial navy corps boxing allowing people to hold "the belt"

but is shockboxing is punch based, boxing then it is covered in basic techniques I would assume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: