The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Brawling under STR is dumb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Brawling under STR is dumb Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Brawling under STR is dumb Reply with quote

so. someone remind me why Brawling is a strength skill, wheras brawling parry, melee and melee parry are all under dex.

just a couple days ago, I switched brawling over to a dex skill for my group. I feel it makes a lot more sense because just because youre really strong doesnt necessarily make you good at hitting things. it just means you pack more punch.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense.
so. why?
Did WEG stick it under STR cause they thought there were too few STR skills already and it could use some more?

:?: :?: :?:
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was strictly for game balance.
Which is a nice way of saying that the strength stat have very little under its jurisdiction.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexterity is an already over-skilled area... And over-important as all the basic attack skills are there.

That being said, from my personal experience, most "Brawling" is done through Brute Strength (The more Dexteritous types require *ALOT* of training), and Parrying is more of a Dexterity thing. Makes sense from that angle.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as kind of a rule of thumb think about two guys getting ready to fight. Let's say you have a 6'5" 250 lb. guy, all muscle vs. me (a 6'3" 145 lb. twig boy). Who would you put your money on? Assuming that I have no specialized training in martial arts, boxing, etc. if the big guy ever gets ahold of me, I'm pretty well toast. Fortunately, I am a pretty fast guy and I'm hard to get ahold of (enter dexterity).

I'm not saying that the skill is just like real life, but at the same time it's not completely unreasonable.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Avoiding the hits is a speed thing, ie Dexterity, while dishing and taking hits is about brute force. Strength is not just an area of macho-ness, it covers many physical skills, acrobatics, gymnastics (if you dig that sort of thing), climbing, jumping, stamina, lifting, and of course brawling. Many other games use strength as the source of the brawling skill, White Wolf games and D&D to name a few. More than game balance, I think it was common sense that brawling is a strength skill.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Strength plays a very important roll in Brawling however if you wanted to spar where the objective is to contact the sparing partner without doing any damage that would be a dex skill.

It's much harder to hit someone who is actively trying to avoid it when you cannot put all your muscle/weight behind your attempts.

Also if you have more strength/mass than someone else (assuming they are not well trained and thats where brawling parry comes into it) you can sometimes 'strike through' someones defences just through the virtue of your superior strength/mass.

Dex plays a part but Strength isn't just for the causing of damage
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t forget that they wanted a very simple and streamlined system. And having too many stats, skills or what-have-you it kind of defeats the purpose.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think brawling DOES belong under strength. In a fist fight between brawlers, the stronger usually wins. (Being a retired US Marine, I've seen one or two brawls. Wink )

Now a martial artist fights with his skill and I think his damage should be related to his skill, not his strength. But brawlers don't train up any skills. They just...well...brawl.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! There's a grand tradition in my Heritidge of Martial Arts.

The Irish "Way of the Drunken Fist" Martial Arts.

First rule... Cheat, and get yourself a wackin' stick!!! Preferably one that's nice and spiny!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I honour the great Irish tradition of brawling, I have to point out once you pick up a stick you are no longer brawling under the Star Wars RPG rules. You are now using the melee combat skill.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Hey! There's a grand tradition in my Heritidge of Martial Arts.

The Irish "Way of the Drunken Fist" Martial Arts.

First rule... Cheat, and get yourself a wackin' stick!!! Preferably one that's nice and spiny!

Hey, wait a second, I'm also Irish.So isin't that getting a bottle and introducing it firmly but politelly to your friend face instead of a stick.
I mean if I pick up a stick I'd have to put down the Beer bottle and the whiskey bottle Shocked 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah…bottles to the head.
It brings back memories, both in the giving and receiving.

But being Scottish I would take a claymore over a stick any day… if I could wield the damn thing.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Irish I have to say that the tradition of hand(foot/knee/barstool) to groin combat is a ancient and respected tradition.

With that in mind just because holding a stick doesn't stop you trying to hit someone with your hand/head/elbow/knee/foot in fact sometimes the stick (bottle/claymore/barstool) doesn't even need to connect. But perhaps that tradition isn't widespread

I certainly can't see a starwars character with the brawling specialization Hand to groin combat
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too easy. Laughing
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawling specializations (I think) comfortably fall under STR. Take Martial Arts for one. Yes it does pay to be quick, and when my wife did Martial Arts there were young kids under the age of 8 that were black belts. Now just saying they knew how to use what they learned doesn't strike too much fear in me. All I would need is one solid hit and it's over. But it's the strength behind the hits and blocks that make it powerful. Boxing is the other. I know jack about boxing besides the Rocky instruction, but I imagine that just being fast, doesn't out do having the power behind the quickness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: