The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Make the players do the work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Make the players do the work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Make the players do the work Reply with quote

Sometimes the best way to get a great adventure out of the way is to have the players plan an event and have the GM sit back and try to make stuff up.

Ex) me and my cousin decided we needed money. We were on Tatooine and we had some money to play with but only enough for limited equipment. We figured "What better way to make money than to attack a Kryat Dragon for the pearls in it's stomach! Smile So we rented a cargo skiff, some bantha's(incase we were stranded or needed a distraction)some thermals, some frag. gernades, and a powerful gun of some sort. We ended up taking the creature down and making a crap load of money. (This was in the D20 system but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the D6 system.) So I say GM's out there, let the characters come up with adventures. I think you'll be really surprised.

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I know what you mean.

Sometimes its just fun for me as a GM to sit back and watch them run around all paranoid like chickens with their heads cut off.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I do that all the time between adventures and campaigns.

for example, the group I GM just yesterday completed the campaign in GG6: Tramp Freighters. The Minos Cluster Campaign. In the final adventure, they are sent to the sector's capital world, Travnin, as a rebel cell to basically wreak havoc on the Imperials there. they had an entire month (in game) to cause as much damage as they could to the Imperial machine there.

basically, i gave them their mission guidelines, a map of the city and tons of locations in it, and set them free. It was a long-@$$ adventure, but it was fun because the entire thing was completely open-ended and they could basically do what they wanted.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do. Normally I start a game like, "okay, where did we leave off, oh yes I remember. So, what do you guys do now?" and let the fun begin. You can never really plan every thing, so I just don't plan much at all. Guys like Ragnar know pretty much what they want to do at all times.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, a good player does not wait for the story to fall into his lap…a good play is proactive and makes the story happen.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to get into what makes a good player... a good player is one who plays their character the way their character should be no matter what's going on in their life outside of the game... on top of that, good players make interesting backgrounds for their characters, and work with the GM to make the game more interesting and more enjoyable for everyone Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and let’s not forget…a good player also knows when to “rein it in” if his character is starting to disrupt a game.
Solid player are familiar with self-governance.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. What makes a great player is the ability to play a character from the character's perspective instead of from the player's perspective.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, player using OOC knowledge is a sure way to kill a good story and the fun.
Djas Puhr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our GM usually gave us a basic idea or starting point, but then gave us a lot of freedom to complete the task how and when we desired. Some of our most enjoyable gaming sessions were those that our GM just let us "roam" and get into trouble on our own. He basically let us go, then reacted to what we did, instead of telling us what we had to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: