The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - Scum and Villainy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - Scum and Villainy Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Pulse Charger
Skill: blaster repair (to install)
Difficulty: to install: Moderate
Cost: 2,000
Availability: 3, X
Upgrade slot cost: 1
Game Notes: A pulse charger forces more blaster gas and power through a blaster’s blast chamber on any given shot. When a blaster has this upgrade it gains a +1 for every D the blaster has in its damage code. Example: a blaster with 5D damage would then roll 5D damage, and then add +5 to the roll. The additional damage comes at a cost. First, the blaster is no longer as accurate, and incurs a -2 penalty to the character’s blaster roll. Second, the blaster uses its ammunition twice as fast as before.
Source: Scum and Villainy p. 43

I thought this one might take a little bit of flack for the way I've calculated the bonus. I've preserved the intent of the d20 bonus, which provides a +1 for ever die. So a 3d4 blaster would do 3d4+3. It's a significant bonus for d20, and so I thought that the D6 conversion was in balance, especially with the 2,000 credit price tag.

However, I know that I'll take a little bit of flack from the fact that it grats a potential +5 bonus or +4 bonus, rather than a 2D+2, or a 2D+1 bonus. First, I think the latter is too big a bonus. 2D+2 is going to average a bonus of +9 (minimum 4, maximum 14). It's just too much. Second, there are some examples of bonuses that don't roll to the next highest D. Emptiness, for example. Also, on WEDGE ages ago, they had answered the question of how a 1D+2 bonus from one stat would stack with a 2D+2 bonus from another, and WEG at the time had answered that the answer would be 3D+4.

Feel free to discuss.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree that a 5D+5 blaster is quite a splendid weapon, I understand that you're going for something different than what you get from standard modifications or the Rebel Field Guide way. I'm only thinking that maybe this unprecedented bonus should be balanced by a higher penalty to the skill roll. Maybe -1 for each dice of damage (heavy blaster would be at -5), or if you think that's too harsh, -1 for every 2D of damage, rounded up (heavy blaster would be at -3).
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Good idea. I'll put that in.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
In the d20, they deal with it by increasing the size and weight for calculating encumbrance. But since we don't have that, then the +3 sounds reasonable.

The work you guys do is so amazingly cool!

BTW, I think Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForces Handbook has optional encumberance rules for D6. I'm not particularly endorcing them. It's been a while since I've read them and I can't get to it right now. But I just wanted to mention they are there, Chesire. FYI.

I deal with encumberance in a different way - I don't use hard game mechanics. If someone is trying to carry what seems like too much equipment, I use "story factors" to relieve them of some of the stuff. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like some comments on this one.

Quote:
Repulsorlift
Skill: armor repair (to install)
Cost: 1000
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Similar to repulsorlifts on vehicles, the repulsorlift upgrade allows a wearer of the upgraded armor to hover, fly, and maneuver one meter above the ground. When employing the repulsorlifts, the character must use Dexterity: flight to maneuver. This may be used as a reaction skill. The repulsorlift may be used for 10 rounds without recharging.
Source: Scum and Villainy p. 47

Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'd like some comments on this one.

Quote:
Repulsorlift
Cost: 1000
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Similar to repulsorlifts on vehicles, the repulsorlift upgrade allows a wearer of the upgraded armor to hover, fly, and maneuver one meter above the ground. When employing the repulsorlifts, the character must use Dexterity: flight to maneuver. This may be used as a reaction skill. The repulsorlift may be used for 10 rounds without recharging.

I would change the skill to Mech: Powersuit Operation

Dex: Flight is more for species with natural wings.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of powersuit operations

Quote:

Powered Exoskeleton
Difficulty: to install: Difficult
Cost: 4,000
Availability: 2, F
Upgrade slot cost: 2
Game Notes: This upgrade modifies the nature of the armor, and converts it into a powersuit, which will then require the powersuit operation skill. The conversion adds +2 to all Strength based skill rolls.
Source: Scum and Villainy p. 46

cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two upgrades, way powerful. I'm not too concerned about the first, as it's about on the same level as a stealth field generator, and is balanced out with existing WEG material. However, the second one has me scratching my head. The actual bonus in the WotC stuff was a +10 bonus, though I didn't think that the pip for pip conversion was the best way to handle the extraordinary cost. So I placed it at a 5D+2. Comments welcome.

Quote:

Shadowskin
Cost: 5000
Availability: 2, F
Game Notes: This upgrade consists of sound dampeners, as well as a dark coating, providing an audio and visual camouflage. Anyone wearing armor with the shadowskin upgrade, receives a 2D+2 bonus to his sneak skill rolls.

Quote:

Shadowskin reflec
Cost: 20,000
Availability: R, X
Game Notes: This is an advanced variant of the Shadowskin. It was first introduced by the Grand Army of the Republic, and was later used in occasional Imperial missions. There are few samples of this upgrade in existence due to its prohibitive cost. Though, the upgrade gives the wearer a 5D+2 bonus to his sneak skill.

obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the repulsor, I too would use the Mech: Powersuit Operation skill or maybe the Mech: Repulsorlift op.

As for the Shadowskin, I would limit boni to a single value:
Shadowskin +5 to sneak and hide
Shadowskin reflect +10 to sneak and hide, if you really want to boost it, maybe up to +15

Similar boni but more in touch with WEG, would be to raise the difficulty level of the target trying to spot you by one or two (maybe three) level(s) (equivalent to +5, +10 or +15 to the difficulty)

but +5D+2 is way too outrageous (almost a +20 average bonus, but could go up to +32!!) Nah, not in my games anyway! That's more than most of my player would have in the skill itself!
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it costs as much as a used freighter.

Granted, upwards of 5D the person is freaking invisible. And I'm not comfortable with giving that bonus to a player, but what is a starship's worth of concealment going to give you? (I'm not taking issue with your point, but just offering a counterpoint... I'm trying to take everything into consideration.) Thinking about what it's like in conjunction with someone's skill makes me realize that it REALLY does need to be toned down.

BTW, I've got the preliminary stats on all of the equipment, weapon, and armor updates. All comments are welcome for any of them.

It's 14 pages long, so you'll understand why I'm not posting it all here.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/U0d6c0w2Zy9qV0RIRGc9PQ
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:

I had originally taken your suggestion, however I found something in Galadinums that set a precedent. There is a pair of repulsorlift boots that requires a repulsorlift operations roll.

Go fig.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to take into consideration the outrageous price is more due to the fact it is a rare technology than a uber powerful one (+10 bonus IS quite powerful though).

Take for example the Magnaforce Security shield at the end of Galladinium Fantastic Technology. 25000c for a mere 4D cover protection. Now it fits on your wrist and will wao! many people, but still, like you said it's the price of a used freighter.
Or the Verpine Shatter Gun... 30000c.... yeah right!

So my take is to keep the bonus acceptable (+10 is pretty good in my opinion) and keep the price high to not only reflect the power of it but the rarity of th etechnology.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Rerun941 wrote:

I had originally taken your suggestion, however I found something in Galadinums that set a precedent. There is a pair of repulsorlift boots that requires a repulsorlift operations roll.

Go fig.

I remember those boots. Mech: repulsorlift ops would also be acceptable. Just not a Dex skill.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obidancer wrote:
I think we need to take into consideration the outrageous price is more due to the fact it is a rare technology than a uber powerful one (+10 bonus IS quite powerful though).

Take for example the Magnaforce Security shield at the end of Galladinium Fantastic Technology. 25000c for a mere 4D cover protection. Now it fits on your wrist and will wao! many people, but still, like you said it's the price of a used freighter.
Or the Verpine Shatter Gun... 30000c.... yeah right!

So my take is to keep the bonus acceptable (+10 is pretty good in my opinion) and keep the price high to not only reflect the power of it but the rarity of th etechnology.

Great point. Thanks.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is an odd piece of gear, designed to assist salvage dealiers in penetrating bulkheads of derelict ships.

Quote:

Squib Battering Ram
Model: Ambelled Industries “Grond-951”
Type: Blast-door breeching weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Dexterity: Battering Ram
Difficulty: Easy
Cost: 3,500
Availability: 3
Fire Rate: 1
Damage: 9D
Notes: This weapon is almost exclusively a door-breeching device. It requires two people to operate, one to brace and stabilize the device, and the other to trigger it. The weapon is too unwieldy to use as a weapon against living targets. However, it will do normal damage to stationary, nonliving targets such as a door or wall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: