The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Constructing a Holocron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Constructing a Holocron
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatSteve
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Constructing a Holocron Reply with quote

I am trying to find some good info on building a holocron. Recently in a campaign, my character found out that he's force sensitive when he came across a Sith holocron. Our party has a knock-off Jedi holocron (it has preprogrammed responses, but not the essence of the Jedi) built by a Jedi shortly before the clone wars, but I want to try to create a decent one to balance the uncovering of the Sith one.
My character is a designer and builder at heart, and is willing to devote a large amount of time (I assume it's necessary for holocron construction and for honing his force abilities), so it is important to him that he constructs it himself.

What materials are needed to build one? Rare crystals are necessary to construct the crystal matrix, but what types of crystals are used?

Is the black crystal used for the capstone a specific crystal? (And where can they be found if it is?)

What force abilities are necessary to construct it?

What powers are needed in the rites and rituals of imbuing one's essence into the holocron?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no official rules on their construction... but only the most powerful Sith and Jedi ever succeeded in doing so. Much of the construction, while requiring rare and delicate materials, is done on a subatomic level using the Force, requiring an intimate connection and understanding of the Force. I wouldn't even consider allowing the construction of one unless they had Force Skills at at least somewhere around/above the 10D mark. As for having a holocron without the essence of a Jedi/Sith... I don't think it's possible. Given some of the more recent books that are out there, it seems that the Jedi/Sith's essence is what stabilizes the crystal matrix, allowing the vast amounts of data to be stored and preventing the entire structure from simply falling apart; the personal essence is absolutely required to construct it...

Holocrons are really supposed to be plot devices: rare, sought after, gained, lost, enigmatic. Your character may be willing to devote the time and energy... but it should probably take him decades to find the arcane information required to build it... and to develop the connection to the Force required to go through with it, let alone find the very rare materials required.

Be careful not to trivialize the holocron.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Constructing a Holocron Reply with quote

FatSteve wrote:
I am trying to find some good info on building a holocron. Recently in a campaign, my character found out that he's force sensitive when he came across a Sith holocron. Our party has a knock-off Jedi holocron (it has preprogrammed responses, but not the essence of the Jedi) built by a Jedi shortly before the clone wars, but I want to try to create a decent one to balance the uncovering of the Sith one.
My character is a designer and builder at heart, and is willing to devote a large amount of time (I assume it's necessary for holocron construction and for honing his force abilities), so it is important to him that he constructs it himself.

What materials are needed to build one? Rare crystals are necessary to construct the crystal matrix, but what types of crystals are used?

Is the black crystal used for the capstone a specific crystal? (And where can they be found if it is?)

What force abilities are necessary to construct it?

What powers are needed in the rites and rituals of imbuing one's essence into the holocron?

Building one is something I probbably wouldn't allow as a GM my self, Though discovering one and learning to RECORD ADDITIONAL data to it I would after a suitable adventure/quest. I also alow the basic info on how to repair damaged holocrons to be available, but not full out construction (at least not until said PC is at a point where it would really be more fun to retire him, and play a newer, less powerful PC.... But that's me.
Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that there is much point in a PC creating a Holocron. Think about it this way even if the PC gains skill/plans to build a holocron it would of no use to the PC because it would only have their own max skills that's of course they have old holocron crystals for it.

The crystals themselves are organic and so far no source has stated where their from. These crystals are the most critical part of the Holocron it would seem so they probably are the hardest component to find.

So here's my thought let the PCs try to make a Holocron but either its stats don't amount to much or they have extreme difficulties in finding the components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: