The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Music Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do any of you guys use mood music?
Yeah, it's cool
88%
 88%  [ 30 ]
No, never thought about it
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Tried it and didn't like it
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Music Reply with quote

One of the most useful things I've found for Role-playing in general is music. Music can set a mood, or portray feeling without the GM having to say a word, putting on some resident evil music or something can make my players start sweating before I even say a word... or putting on some kickass combat music can make a player try really cool cinematic maneuvers in battle... although, I'm sure that from time to time it gets annoying having the GM look through his collection for the perfect song...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing qiute beats the Imperial march.

Or the music from the battle between Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul in ep:1 for a Jedi Battle. Very Happy
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I'm sure that from time to time it gets annoying having the GM look through his collection for the perfect song...

That is probably the only thing i hate when you break out your music...always switching the track.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's better when i actually have my computer there... cause i open up multiple folders and such, but it's a pain in the @$$ trying to do it on my little portable cd player...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in our group actually has an SW mix tape... it's surprising how often the scene is reflected in the music without any effort on our part
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a bunch of Star Wars influenced tunes on http://www.mp3.com/ that I burned for my GM's radio show (He has a Comedy show on the University Volunteer radio station.).

We tried it during the game, but... Not that great.

I also have "Star Wars: X-Wing" Collector's CD that I got at Business Depot for about $10. Has all the X-Wing Flight Sim Series on it (That's just "X-Wing", not "Tie Fighter" or "X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter").

In addition to the video game (Which probably takes up 1/3 of the CD space), it also has CD-Audio Quality Star Wars Songs from the Original Trilogy, which fit nicely in, and can be played on any CD Player. This worked much better.

Oh... And the B-Wing... One *WEIRD* craft to fly and shoot with!!!
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned a CD with what music I thought would be appropiate to our game. 20th Century Fox Theme, Imperial march, Duel of Fates (That's the one from Ep 1 Son of Fire) plus the cantina music. There are some others for chase scenes and such. In all it helps us stay in the mood and enjoy the game more.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying i don't enjoy Crell's music... it often helps to set the mood...but since he started using mp3 CD's he has gotten track happy... not always but sometimes.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music, for the longest time, been a tool for the RPGing. While I would rather not have to wait for the music man to find the right track, I sometimes find the mood of the game, too quite without it.

Now I would like to find a personal composer for my games, because I'm tired of using the same shizzy all the time.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my collection is ever-expanding Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some research on allmusic.com, trying to figure out what CD had the best Star Wars music on it. There was one that came out when Special Edition did that had virtually all of the music on it. Also, you could probably use some Indiana Jones music for Star Wars roleplaying. It has a kind of different vibe, but it's the same Lucasfilm adventure sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all of the special edition soundtracks... except for ep. 2, although i don't use them much, i've been listening to them more to see if i can find some songs to use, and actually a lot of the starwars soundtracks can fit for one situation or another... so I'm going to start using them a lot more.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of play music, but it's always alternitive rock (that is still very varied).
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order to speed up the music-selecting process in game, I actualy made a list on my computer which lists all my available songs in catagories like "chase scenes, force encounters, plot moments, sticky situations" etc. next to each track I have a few words describing the feel of the track, so I can just glance at my sheet, then grab the correct cd and pop it in.
With a little practice, I got pretty good at changing cds with little to no pause in my GMing. im like a cd-changing speed demon. 8)
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really cool... I'm going to make copies of all the mp3s on my hard drive when i install my new one, and then have it orginzed 2 ways in 2 different folders, 1 will be organized by mood setter, and the other will be organized pretty standard by genre/artist/song type stuff... I hope by using the mood set organization, i'll quicken up the pace of my music changing.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: