The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

An odd idea for a game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> An odd idea for a game Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: An odd idea for a game Reply with quote

So, I like building characters and an idea dawned upon me.

We could make a gladiator style pbp. There would be no GM, just a mod of the forum to keep it in check. you create a character, and fight till the end.

I have a dice rolling program that can be used online for the purpose of this.

Each character would roll initiative first, and declare how many actions they are going to use. Then fight and repeat.

Fights can be 1 on 1, or groups. Winner will get lets say 5 CP, and loser gets nothing. Killing characters is allright (but you can spare them). If you die, just make a new character for the next round Smile

Multiple games can go on at once, but you can only be in one fight at a time (aka 3 1 on 1 fights with 6 people). and topics get locked at the end of the fight.

Does this sound interesting to anyone, Every now and then a good brawl is needed Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea for a game but I think a GM would still be needed. Say for instance I create a Tiny like character with the repulse hand cybernetic and he ends up fighting a jedi.

Now I happen to think that a lightsaber has mass which is why it can be blocked by mandalorian iron, ampistafs and the like. That means the repulse hand should work normally. But if the jedi character thinks lightsabers don't have mass and has an equally compelling argument...

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Interesting idea for a game but I think a GM would still be needed. Say for instance I create a Tiny like character with the repulse hand cybernetic and he ends up fighting a jedi.

Now I happen to think that a lightsaber has mass which is why it can be blocked by mandalorian iron, ampistafs and the like. That means the repulse hand should work normally. But if the jedi character thinks lightsabers don't have mass and has an equally compelling argument...

I was thinking that we would just set up a poll, and have all the players vote for what to do...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Darth Windu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super interested. Everyone needs some plotless violence their life. I think a GM would work better as well.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I was thinking that we would just set up a poll, and have all the players vote for what to do...

Perhaps but a GM might be a good idea for other points of contention

noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inttressting idea, lets see what happens. Smile

You may fire when ready
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rules or stipulations would there be on characters?
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

Isn't light both a particle and wave. While it could pass through somethings doesn't mean it would pass through everything. I do agree though a gm would be a good idea. Sort of a referee in a boxing match. They keep the gloves on.

Also credit to Vong on a good idea. I think a tactical ship duel would be interesting too. Though you would need a gm for that as the descriptions are what make space battle worthwhile. That way fighter pilots get their love too
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyus Graven wrote:
Isn't light both a particle and wave. While it could pass through somethings doesn't mean it would pass through everything.

Indeed but most folks I've talked with don't consider lightsabers to actually use light. Otherwise they couldn't reflect blaster bolts.

However back to the topic I like the idea but as Skyler says we need ground rules. Otherwise there is nothing stopping me taking a cybernetic character with six darkside points and just spending a darkside point every round.

And a GM would be good. And sadly for Vong he's the ideal choice as he has the behind the scenes access to his dice roller and all it's rolls.

Darth Windu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's other dice rollers. What about Konkret Dice Roller. Has almost everything we need, except for the ability to see everyone's rolls. The great thing about vong's would be that the GM could roll, and the player could see and post the result, without having to wait for the GM to post.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
And a GM would be good. And sadly for Vong he's the ideal choice as he has the behind the scenes access to his dice roller and all it's rolls.

Well, we could have a group of GM's. So when ever im in a game with someone, you are the gm, and I can GM other games. Basically how i picture it now is that a game starts up (I CHALLENGE SKYLER!) and then someone will say (ILL GM THAT) and there you go. Character creation will be the easiest - we set up a set of rules, and then people agree to them and follow them Razz Anything strange will have to be oked by someone else Smile

As for using DSP and such. Any player who agrees to play the game will also have to agree to not break the rules. a chr with multiple DSPs goes to the dark side, and becomes an NPC for one Wink. As well, we can do large scale battles. AKA a group of people will challenge a GM to a game (a party or something) and the GM will create NPCs (Darth vader, Bobba fette, a group of anti heroes) and then a fight.

There is no preserving the timeline, no plot. just fighting Smile

Anyone can join ant any time, they just need to find an opponent. Hell, if there is a fight underway, and both players agree, they could even join in that fight Razz

Darth Windu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fun character creation. No need to worry about Technical, Mechanical, and Perception skills.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now. Technical 1D, Mechanical 1D, Knowledges 1D. Hazzah now I have 15D left to spend on my combat dice!

I suppose we should set up a thread, there seems to be enough interest and then start a poll going about what sort of rules we want for character creation.

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I can see it now. Technical 1D, Mechanical 1D, Knowledges 1D. Hazzah now I have 15D left to spend on my combat dice!

I suppose we should set up a thread, there seems to be enough interest and then start a poll going about what sort of rules we want for character creation.

I will message loc about setting one up. Ill be the MOD for now.

And this is not nesiarly true. Groups can challenge groups. on freighter with a mechanic is always good.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that existing character already on the pit should be able to challenge each other in this thread.

Vox may wish to challenge Rownn or Tiny may wish to challenge Hrar in his AT-PT or Knowls and I think that sort of thing should be allowed despite the differences in starting funds, timelines attributes etc... it should be permitted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: