The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Help! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Compared to all the adventures and ideas and different things you GMs on this sight do it makes all the GMs in our group look dysfunctonal, even the ones I thought couldn't be topped. Anyway, I want to try to show up some older gamers and let em know I've got some GM in me somewhere, so I want to run the ultimate campaign. I don't want it to be all to long, but profitablre and fun for the players(which there should be around 4 of). I really need anything you guys can give me on this one, so please try to help me out.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

The problem with the "Ultimate Campaign" is that it would have to be crafted to your audience.

What works with my group will only bore, or insult, another group! Humour plays an important role with my groups games, but other folks are into more serious games, and would be offended by some of the things we do!

There isn't a "Perfect" game that'll fit any and all groups...

All I can suggest is that you view your audience, and guage their responce. And don't lock yourself. People change, constantly. What happens from day to day, if not hour to hour, changes our moods, mindsets, abilities, ect.

Nothing is stable, everything is in transition, and you must be fluid to it, seeking the path of least resistance (As opposed to renting, which, in the long run, is more expensive.).

Don't let this scare you, however... These are important lessons to learn, and can be used in real life practices with ease (You'd be surprised at the number of "Fictional" skills I picked up that have become adventageous at work... Particularily when dealing with the public like I do...).
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again the Master Of Games is called to help his fellow gamer.

What kind of game do you want to play? Rebels, Imperials, bounty hunters?
How well do you know the players?
Play to what the players want, but give them surprises that they wouldn't expect from you. I started as MOG before I even got to know the game, so really anyone can do it, and do it well if you have imagination. What resources are available to you? Don't forget, the players themselves are a valuable resource for info on what they want and expect of the game.
I'll post more later after you think on what I said...

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could really use help on what to do during the game, and a basic timeline or idea of what the campaign would be about with a few details, I think I could figure out the rest(hopefully). Two players are in a mercennary organization (a huge one) there not the leaders but they are one step down along with 5 others. The other two people I plan to play with have numerous charectors so I dont know what they'll play with, but I suspect Emp. or freelance of some sort. (If any of you guys have stuff from a kool game you've already gm'd, don't hesitate to tell me!)
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what the players want to do, some of the GMs i've played under were really fortunate to have someone that's flexible and doesn't mind making a new character now and then Smile

but the best way to make an ultimate game is to have everyone start low, and build up, that way they have a better appreciation for their character.

As for story, your group's probably going to need to decide who if anyone they want to be affiliated with. That gives you as the GM something to work with. But if they really don't care that much, or are flexible, then pick whichever side you know the most about, and work from there.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a new MOG, definetly have your players start with new characters. That way, you all are starting fresh.

Lots of info on Rebel adventures out there. Start during the trilogy. The movies are a great source of material, and almost everyone has it, or can easily get it. If the group plans on traveling, have a pilot and a ship. Lots of adventures can start with an astrogation mishap, or just a plain old pirate attack. Mercenaries like action and fighting against the empire on the side of the rebelion is a good start. It's not hard to think of adventures, just do what you want.

Bottom line, when your in the game all you really have to rely on is your own imagination.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help guys its already helping, but as I said earlier what to do during the games to be more creative and get the charectors more involved, and a good idea about the campaign, and what a few of the individual missions would be about.
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea about them all making new charectors, that helps I think make them more farmiliar with them in the long run. But as I just said in my last post ,which happened to be like 3 minutes ago, I rrrrrrrrrreeeee-eeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, need a good idea for the overall campaign, some ideas for missions, and NPC's, and I would really like everyone viewing this(I know theres more of you than are actually posting Mad, lol) to give me some good ideas even if they only take up a few minutes, like kills, or crazy or funny things people do.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should create a common enemy for the PC's. A villian that is important to the story and to the players themselves. It gives them something to go after, and it keeps them on there toes.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vex wrote:
...what to do during the games to be more creative and get the charectors more involved, and a good idea about the campaign, and what a few of the individual missions would be about.

How about this?

The characters are a Rebel irregular strike team. A group of characters from various backgrounds with an assortment of skills to accomplish things a strike team cannot...like steal plans from an Imperial computer center or plant a bug on a hypercon relay satellite without being detected, start a resistance movement on an Imperial world, capture an Imperial prototype, remove one Imperial ISB officer with an "accident", find why the transmitter on LV-426 is down, get the local swoop gang to work for the Rebellion, check out a new informer to find out if he's legit.

Sure a Rebel strike team could blow all these things up, but the Rebellion wants to use them, not destroy them. So they need a team that can fly starships, operate swoops, crack security systems, jack into operating electronics, talk with people. Commandos don't do these things.

It also explains why a smuggler, fighter pilot, tramp freighter captain, computer geek, and jedi are working together.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: The Great Droid Hunt... Reply with quote

You gotta find the Mouse Droid with the top secret data before it gets reprogrammed and has it erased.

Which means you gotta sneak into the Imperial Garrison and scan the data of each and every one... And deal with folks asking, "What are you doing???" all the time.
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that idea about the mouse droids, but I dont think I could get all these people to start out rebels, so I need something to tie them all in somehow, any ideas?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a good reason to make them start new characters...

I'm really for the fact that when a new game starts with a new Game Master, everyone should start fresh with a new character, it makes it fair for everyone...

But if you're going to go for them using their other characters, money is usually a good motivator for the low moral characters, and doing it to help someone can motivate the high moral ones.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Fine then... Reply with quote

No Rebels? Fine, Corporations use 'em... As do Smuggler Groups.

It's just a secret drop. You can even rig it up so that it's legit. The person that's contacting the group is overly parinoid (If he has reason to be or not is up to you.), and this is the only way to get in touch with him.

Heck, even have a Planetary Government use 'em to scan the sewers for problems, and have it be one of those. You could even throw in the Honeymooners in there if you feel like having a good laugh. Smile

Thinking on your feet. If you're going to GM, you gotta do it! And it's one of those life lessons I told you about... It's *DARN* handy where I work!

Ray.
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help but I can still use any ideas you guys can come up with, this things really shaping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: