The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Power above what you expected
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Power above what you expected Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Power above what you expected Reply with quote

I have a character who has a specilization in their ship (human 4D mec + 3D spec, giving him 7D). He is in a ship with 3D manuverability so he is rolling 10D

now combat has started to last too long as he is piloting and someone else is shooting. now the standard ties cant hit him, but since our gunners suck, they cant hit the ties either.

Now how might you pull back on their power without seeming like you are hosing them...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tie Pilots start using tactics. They "Herd" the pilot into lines of fire, giving them a gunnery bonus.

The Squadron Commander would roll his Command Skill to give the bonus as per the rules for that skill. That's it.

If he doesn't have a Command skill... Well, how'd he become a Squadron Commander then? Wink
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, good idea Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fisrt of all, you shouldn't have given them such a good ship. I assume he's using a frighter, by your "gunners" comment, and most freighters have 1D maneuverability. 2D tops. 3D is a hell of a maneuverable vessel. Try to make them have to switch to a more average ship. Changing ships also takes care of your player's high specialization. If he hasn't been increasing the base skill as well (always a risky move), then he'll be at a great disadvante when piloting a different ship.

On the other side of things, the simplest thing to do is to upgrade your enemies. Make them better shots, and have them flying ships with high Fire Control, such as the StarHammer, Authority IRD or Assault Gunboat, and maybe use the TIE/fc to further increase targeting capabilities.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy. Don't let your players to fly. Just place few next adventures on planets or space stations and require from players completely different skills. After all players gain some experience (don't let your pilot player to upgrade piloting skills, because he has no chance to train it) your whole team will be ready for more demanding missions.
I used this trick recently on my players (a bunch of space pirates flying capital ship), I grounded their ship for a while on low tech planet. They started learning other than combat/starship related skills of their own free will (running, ground vehicle operation: automobile, languages, con, sneak, persuasion etc.) and their skills became more balanced.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Tupteq. very sneaky. Way to think outside the box

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if nothing else, ambushes work.. Whether on ground or in space.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have someone steal their ship...

It's actually surprisingly easy to do. I've had it happen to me and it was totally plausible.

And very, very irritating.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taking away and stealing of the ship would seem like "Hosing them" for the most part.

First, make them have to fly something else. Have them have to deal with cargos too big for the ship, and can't be split up. Or can't get back to their ship directly, and have to steal something else in the midterm.

You're not taking it away from then, just making them seek alternate transport temporarily.

Second, Piloting like that will get attention. Attention is a bad thing. It makes you a target as the Rep increases.

Third, good piloting will get you out of trouble. Too bad they have to get into it.

Finally, I do have to ask, what stock ship has 3D manuverability and a gunner? And if the ship's not stock, how'd they afford to get it to 3D manuverability?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are using the starlight freighter (its only 26000)

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
They are using the starlight freighter (its only 26000)

I checked in "Starship Stats", it has only 1D of maneuverability.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, you are right, wonder what it is he is rolling then

ill ave to find out at our next session.

ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are your players using hand written stats for the ship, or printed? i had some players write out the stats for a speeder vehicle i gave them and after a while i noticed that they were moving slower in combat than they were suposed to. when i checked their stats they had wrote the wrong speed down.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
The taking away and stealing of the ship would seem like "Hosing them" for the most part.

It's really not when you decide to capture a shapshifting assasin and then chain him up in your ship leaving only an NPC gamorian to guard him...

What was I thinking you might ask?

It seems I wasn't. However my point is that most players will actually get themselves into situations that can go very poorly for them if you give them enough rope.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

First, make them have to fly something else. Have them have to deal with cargos too big for the ship, and can't be split up. Or can't get back to their ship directly, and have to steal something else in the midterm.

If they work for the rebellionm that is easy to do, have them assigned a ship to uyse..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: