The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Energy shields (skill)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Energy shields (skill)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Energy shields (skill) Reply with quote

The last point that my friends and I came across that we weren't able to come to a conclusion was energy sheilds. The confusion comes from the txt in stating that the use of the shields in a combat situation is supposed to be a reaction skills (dodge, melee parry and brawling parry). By this definition of those skills can only be used when you have been attacked.

The example given though in the book shows how a PC decides to raise his 2D shields on his front arc then three rounds later when he has a tie in front and one in back to use his skill again to move 1D to back leaving 1D in the front. It does not show that he was attakced or that he had to use the skill as a reaction.

My thinking is that this skill could be more like the Lightsaber skill that can be used both ways. A person can set the shields up first then if they get attakced by an arc that is not protected a person can then use the skill to effectivly move the shield to face another way. Another question was about the skill is how long can shields remain up if they do require a lot of energy, and does the energy for the shields draw away from other systems.

Any ideas at all about these questions and assumptions, I and my friends would really be grateful!!!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always treated shields as a skill used both in and out of combat. It can be used any time to shift your shield strength around, say to intensify the forward or rear shields from asteroids, laser fire, and the like.

To my knowledge, there is no game mechanic in place to deal with shield power consumption. Yes, they do use tremendous amounts of energy as any player of the various X-wing and TIE Fighter games can tell you. When redirected, that energy provides a substantial boost to either speed or weapons recharge in those computer games. I have seen various house rules which cover this aspect of power transfer quite nicely, but am at a loss to where I have read them.
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the rule was that if you did a "double-front", you just added 1D, but you had no shields anywhere else.

Hmm, that may be a house rule. It's not in 2e R&E.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shield is a reaction skill. That means you can use shield to protect you shield from incomming enemy fire (like dodge skill). If the roll is successfull you can add shield power to hull dice code of the ship.

Energy shields require a lot of energy. You can keep them up averytime but because they protect only versus energy weapons, it's a bit stupid... It's like to park a car and let the engine working all the night. It is physically possible but it is just a waste of energy. Assuming energy means also money, good captain turns shield off when their ship is not engaged in fight Smile

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: