The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winchester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6... Reply with quote

Been toying with converting the Warhammer 40K vehicles and weapons to the Star Wars D6 system for quite some time, and my hard drive was positively littered with old draft versions, which was just sad. Some of them were really, really bad, too - though that may have been because I got sidetracked before editing everything. Oh well.

I think the current incarnation is going a little better - I decided to create a universal conversion rule from published 40K stats to D6, which would apply to everything. The going is a little slow on the weapons - there are so many exotic types that need special rules, since we as roleplayers are a little more interested in the actual effects I think than the warhammer player who only needs to know if his unit died or not.

One mechanic which I think I've actually managed to work out OK is the hull rating for vehicles. I decided to calculate this by starting with 3D speeder scale and adding one pip for each point of armor above ten, in each of the three arcs. E.g. the Land Raider, which has 14-14-14 armor, has a hull rating of 7D (making it a candidate for walker scale!); while a Predator (13-11-10) would have a 4D+1 rating.

I've run into a couple of snags, though, with the Imperial Armor books and their superheavies - they have less armor than a land raider, but take two or three times as much killing (more in the case of the titans!). Any ideas ofhow to handle this that'll work for both heavily and lightly armored Superheavies (like the fliers)?

SP
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the 40k but how about adding shields to the vehicle, to keep the hull at a proper standard but make the killing a lot harder (have to go through shields first...)? Idea
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the superheavies, change their scale and the scale difference rules should handle it fairly well.

I'd see a Baneblade and it's like as Starfighter Scale. Or Just make particular weaponry larger scale and mention it in the rules.

I did that with some of the heavy weapons I converted from WH40K to SWD6.

For example:
Chain Fist:
Model: Greel Mark IV Chain Fist
Type: Chain Fist
Scale: Character
Skill: Melee combat: Chain Fist
Cost: Not available for sale
Availability: 4; X
Difficulty: 15
Damage: STR+3D
Game Notes: When used against Speeder scale or similar targets, do not use the Scale Comparison chart to reduce damage. Such is its size and weight that only Terminators can use it. It causes a -2D penalty to initiative.

E
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that having hard set rules for conversions between 40K and SW works so and so..

I have used a 'general idea' when converting but modified it from case to case.

For example, I created an elite Stormtrooper unit called Assault Troopers heavily influenced by 40K Terminators. All was fine until you came to some of the more specialized weaponry (Stormhammers for example). In 40K its fine to have some weapons more or less autokill, as a you have personal shields and whatnot to save characters behinds vs those überweapons. I felt that this sort of hardware was not really in its right place in a SW campaign, hence the weapons had to be tweaked.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on taking some of the space marine weaponry concepts and applying them to the Mandalorians. Things like Power swords and axes, and storm shields. For the most part these enhancements to normal equipment just gave something like a +1D damage bonus, and due to the energy field, the weapons are able to parry lightsabers. I figured that having something like this would make the mandalorians more of a threat to the galaxy cause they can actually stand a chance versus the jedi.

I didn't want to go too in depth because things like bolters and whatnot are so low tech, that they just don't feel appropriate in the star wars universe. Chain Swords are easily replaced by vibro-weaponry.

As for their armor, you turn any suit of armor into power armor and you've got a decent starting point. The problem with a lot of the 40k universe tech, is it's designed by factions which are all paragons of evolution, one way or the other... even Orks... So they need the savage tech that does massive amounts of damage because take the space marines for example, one marine can solo a tank brigade. How & why do you convert that into a system where people are just people?

I would be interested in whatever you come up with. I had a GM once who incorporated the Eldar into his game by making them a mysterious ancient race that had died out eons ago. But some of their technology was still around.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I had a GM once who incorporated the Eldar into his game by making them a mysterious ancient race that had died out eons ago. But some of their technology was still around.

I actually made the Eldar for SW a long time ago. They had another name, but the concept was the same. They were obviously not extingt, but practically unheard of. They didnt even exist officially, and where hunted down by the Inquisition if their presence became known (due to their force-sensitive nature they were seen as a threat to the Empire).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I didn't want to go too in depth because things like bolters and whatnot are so low tech, that they just don't feel appropriate in the star wars universe. Chain Swords are easily replaced by vibro-weaponry.

As for their armor, you turn any suit of armor into power armor and you've got a decent starting point. The problem with a lot of the 40k universe tech, is it's designed by factions which are all paragons of evolution, one way or the other... even Orks... So they need the savage tech that does massive amounts of damage because take the space marines for example, one marine can solo a tank brigade. How & why do you convert that into a system where people are just people?

I actually just used some of the concepts, not converting everything. I switched some equipment to suit the SW universe. My 'Terminators' had Stormblasters instead of Stormbolters. Basically the same function, automatic short range weaponry, but with blaster tech instead.

Regarding Space Marines (Which should be some kind of special Imperial project, not rank and file troopers), just look at the different stages of Dark Trooper (a concept I personally dont use btw), its comparable. My 'terminators' were similar. Crack elite troopers with cybernetic implants to operate the heavy power suit. They were normally only availible to the top elite of the Inquisition for Jedi Hunting. Actually, in my campaign the players only fought them once or twice, while being hunted by Tremaine.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...It's always a matter of discretion when making conversions from different systems--WH 40K is no exception. I also had Eldar in one campaign years back (Aspect Warriors were always my favorite Eldar units), & have regularly replaced the Vong with the Tyrannids (which are in every way more Cool).

...It usually easiest to convert systems for their settings first, before trying to integate them into the Star Wars Universe. It might take longer, but it's more thorough. 8)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...It's always a matter of discretion when making conversions from different systems--WH 40K is no exception. I also had Eldar in one campaign years back (Aspect Warriors were always my favorite Eldar units), & have regularly replaced the Vong with the Tyrannids (which are in every way more Cool).

...It usually easiest to convert systems for their settings first, before trying to integate them into the Star Wars Universe. It might take longer, but it's more thorough. 8)

I will actually run Otherspace pretty soon, replacing the Charon with Tyranids. Otherspace 2 will then hanlde the threat from a Tyranid Hive Fleet trying to get into realspace...
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
schnarre wrote:

I will actually run Otherspace pretty soon, replacing the Charon with Tyranids. Otherspace 2 will then hanlde the threat from a Tyranid Hive Fleet trying to get into realspace...

...THAT sounds really cool!! Let us know how that turns out (sounds like it should be a blast!)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
schnarre wrote:

...THAT sounds really cool!! Let us know how that turns out (sounds like it should be a blast!)

I also plan to have the imperial moff and some underlings become 'infected' with genestealer seed somehow (perhaps having to move away from canon here and going with some so far unknown 'possession' creature. Im thinking a large centiped that lodges itself along the spine), coming under Tyranid sway.

The characters are the only ones with knowledge of this (they will have been victims themselves of unsuccessful infection attemps). This will set up an interesting situation where the characters have to hunt for the 'stealers'(before they set up a stealer cult) or try to convince the Empire that one of their high ranking militaries is under alien influence.

To give the players the hint that a stand up fight is not a good idea, the first thing that will happen is that a horde of small termagants will rip their spec force strike force apart.
I see hordes of termagants

We will start play after christmas, I will report.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why divert from cannon, the genestealer seed is quite a nice little mechanic. It's a shame they've moved away from genestealer cults.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Why divert from cannon, the genestealer seed is quite a nice little mechanic. It's a shame they've moved away from genestealer cults.

Genestealers are cool, but their infiltration takes forever. Its better suited as a long term threat.

The centipede-creature idea is for a quick 'possession' of key encountered opponenents.

My plan is to have the PCs be accompanied by a spec force team, brining in heavy gear. The PCs role is more of 'troubleshooters' and all-around problem solvers. Early on the spec force team will be rusched by a sea of 'small 'nids', probably Hormagaunts, which will rip most of the Spec force team apart but will finally be shot to pieces with the characters help.

Then they will see a large fleshy cocoon in the ceiling erupting, and a sea of large (1m) centipede like creatures will swarm towards them, reaching the remaining spec forces first. All spec force members are instantly attacked by at least 10 creatures each, and they characters will see how they slither inside armour and clothing of the victims. The remaining 'centipedes' will rush the characters, which are standing a bit behind the spec forces at a blast door. If they want to survive theyd better remember that blast door and close it...

This is the set up to create a claustrophobic and tense environment. The focus will be to 'outsmart' the opponents with fighting only as the last option...

Hormagaunt, aprox 1m tall.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Genestealers are cool, but their infiltration takes forever. Its better suited as a long term threat.

This is quite true. Infiltrating an established genestealer cult could be a good scenario too though.

Now I think about it more the centipede creatures work within the established cannon too. One of the tyrinid specific Kill Team events is "Jones is acting strangely" which has similar, if more subtle effects.

Fighting a hive mind is always a daunting prospect and a lot of the 'hive' abilities of tyrinids could be easily represented via the Force.

Let us know how it goes.

Winchester wrote:
Been toying with converting the Warhammer 40K vehicles and weapons to the Star Wars D6 system for quite some time, and my hard drive was positively littered with old draft versions, which was just sad. Some of them were really, really bad, too - though that may have been because I got sidetracked before editing everything. Oh well.

I've been running my own homebrew game based in the 40K universe. I found in order to aid converting you have to look at how the system works internally. For instance the boltgun (standard Space Marine weapon, essentially a rapid fire mini-missile weapon) should wound and kill an ork 50% of the time because an Ork's toughness is equal to the damage of the boltgun.

A basic Ork has toughness four so if that can be translated to a strength of four then you need to make a boltgun able to kill an Ork about 50% of the time, with wound levels and strength rolls I've found that about 7D-8D damage seems to work.

From that base you can then mess around things like vehicle amour. An Ork Trukk is amour 10 in all facings a boltgun should have a 50% chance of causing at least some minor damage to the lightly amoured vehicle. Hull 4D seems to work there, When facings a different you have to generally average it out but I find with some basics in place it's quite possible to wing it.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Had some stats for Eldar Guardians & Aspect Warriors in years past...I'll see if I can dig those up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: