The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work in progress Genestealers.
Still working on the genestealer kiss and hypnotic gaze rules.

Genestealer
Code:

DEX 4D       PER 4D         STR 5D
Running 6D   Search 5D      Brawling 5D+2
Dodge 5D      Sneak 5D      Stamina 7D
      Hypno gaze 5D                   Lifting 6D+2
                            Climb/Jump 6D
KNO 1D      MECH 1D      TECH 1D

Move: 15
Scything Claws: STR+2D
Multiple Limbs: Genestealers have four arms. This gives them a +1D bonus to Brawling and Climbing maneuvers.
Chitinous Armour: +1D physical, +1 pip energy.

EDIT: The code funtion does not seem to work properly, but i got it right after correctin it about 10 times (and its unreadable while editing..)

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make the hypnotic gaze a perception skill that the genestealer can do as an action.

The target can resist as either a perception based action (not looking in it's eyes) or a free willpower roll (actually resisting the gaze). If the genestealer beats the target's resistance/avoidance attempt then the target is stunned (but remains standing) for D6 rounds or until the target's pain receptors are triggered (IE a slap in the face will 'cure' the player).

The kiss would be difficult and I can't really see any hard and fast rules applying as it effects the target's offspring more than the target itself.

I'd probably lower the genestealers strength to 4D and give it 2D amour vs physical damage and 1D vs energy

In the current incarnation of 40K genestealers have the rending special rule which would probably be well represented by saying that the genestealers damage is actually modified by the wild dice as I think ZzaphodD doesn't use the wild dice for combat damage normally.

[Edit] I'd also be tempted to give them a high security speciality for getting past locked doors as they always find a way to move freely through space hulks [/Edit]

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd make the hypnotic gaze a perception skill that the genestealer can do as an action.

The target can resist as either a perception based action (not looking in it's eyes) or a free willpower roll (actually resisting the gaze). If the genestealer beats the target's resistance/avoidance attempt then the target is stunned (but remains standing) for D6 rounds or until the target's pain receptors are triggered (IE a slap in the face will 'cure' the player).

The kiss would be difficult and I can't really see any hard and fast rules applying as it effects the target's offspring more than the target itself.

I'd probably lower the genestealers strength to 4D and give it 2D amour vs physical damage and 1D vs energy

In the current incarnation of 40K genestealers have the rending special rule which would probably be well represented by saying that the genestealers damage is actually modified by the wild dice as I think ZzaphodD doesn't use the wild dice for combat damage normally.

[Edit] I'd also be tempted to give them a high security speciality for getting past locked doors as they always find a way to move freely through space hulks [/Edit]

Hmm, 4D STR does not fit either existing stats or fluff. They are supposed to be superhumanly strong and weigh in at around 200-300 kg. Any armour should mostly protect vs physical, perhaps +1D/+1 as its mostly their resilitent physique that protect them.

I think the Hypnotic Gaze will be a Perception based skill and a standard 'attack action' with a range of maximum 10m. Of course it requires the 'victim' to be looking at the Stealer. Resisting will be done with Willpower and will counta as a reaction skill. However, once you are aware of the threat you can opt to not look directly in the face of the Stealer. Perhaps at some small penalty.

The 'Stealer's' kiss will probably be modifed to pose a more immediate threat. I think I will borrow some ideas from the Alien movie, with a organism growing within the victim. However, instead of a separate creature bursting out of the chest, I think it will be a symbiose 'Nid' creature that will cause the hybrids normally seen after generations.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hmm, 4D STR does not fit either existing stats or fluff. They are supposed to be superhumanly strong and weigh in at around 200-300 kg.

I'd disagree, if you look at the statline genestrealers have strength 4 in 40K an Imperial guardsmen has strength 3 although some of the more close combat focussed guardsmen in previous codexes have had strength 4 so it seems to me that a genestealer's strength probably starts off at the human maximum level IE 4D.

Unfortunately in 40K the fluff is quite enjoyable but not very consistant. A basic ork is often said to be strong enough to rip a man's arm off and then beat him to death with it but basic orks only stat out to be strength 3.

Genestealers do have an initiative of 6 though so perhaps they need a perception boost.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Hmm, 4D STR does not fit either existing stats or fluff. They are supposed to be superhumanly strong and weigh in at around 200-300 kg.

I'd disagree, if you look at the statline genestrealers have strength 4 in 40K an Imperial guardsmen has strength 3 although some of the more close combat focussed guardsmen in previous codexes have had strength 4 so it seems to me that a genestealer's strength probably starts off at the human maximum level IE 4D.

Unfortunately in 40K the fluff is quite enjoyable but not very consistant. A basic ork is often said to be strong enough to rip a man's arm off and then beat him to death with it but basic orks only stat out to be strength 3.

Genestealers do have an initiative of 6 though so perhaps they need a perception boost.

Space Marines have S4 and even Space Marine Commanders, and they are 2,5m bioenginered monsters.. S3 is the standard human statline, even if there are some weird exceptions over time. If we are going to compare stats then we should use common stats, not exceptions IMO. Given the SM process of elimination they use the top 0,01% and then modify them further, far beyond the normal human capacity.

Yeah, the orcs are a bit of a mystery in WFB too, where fluff has had to go in face of game balance.

Edit: I have actually found one 'special character' who has S4, Gunner Sergeant Harker. Hes the toughest of the toughest Catachans so perhaps we shouldnt use him as a benchmark.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the previous rules incarnation the Catachans had their own codex and they were all strength 4. This lead me to believe that like in D6 Star Wars a human can max out their strength at 4D but most will sit somewhere around the 2D-3D mark. The occasional strength four character/unit type in there leads me to believe that humans can hit strength four it's just rare... similar to seeing an NPC with a maxed out attribute.

Additionally in games set in the 40K universe where you can level up you characters (like Necromunda for instance) humans can max out their strength at four, but again it's quite rare for this to happen.

schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I like the Stat you've got, though I'd give them:

4 arms= No multi-action penalty for 2 acttions, 3 actions at -1D, 4 actions at -2D, etc...

....there is good reason you don't want to go hand-to-hand with these things!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...I like the Stat you've got, though I'd give them:

4 arms= No multi-action penalty for 2 acttions, 3 actions at -1D, 4 actions at -2D, etc...

....there is good reason you don't want to go hand-to-hand with these things!

Or, in effect, one free brawling attack. Yeah, I think I did it that way in a previous incarnation of the 'stealers IIRC.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: "Orks" in Star Wars? Reply with quote

In an earlier campaign I GM:d one of the players created an 'ork' character. Most of the inspiration came from the (pre mushroom) 40K Space Orks.

I always liked the 40K Ork idea, as GW has managed to bring out some character beyond the 'evil goons' which orcs are often reduced too.

The 'fantasy' orc idea is generally occupied by the Gamorreans, but I have a hard time seening Gamorreans fill the 'space ork' slot. Being 'pig-ish' is part of the problem, otherwise one could just advance them somewhat technologically. But making them less pig-like will alter the SW universe too much I think, as everyone has seem the 'classical' scenes of Gamorreans at Jabbas palace. Hmm, just remembered Gamorreans cant 'talk', I guess thats the biggest issue. To bad, as 'Gamorreans' is a very 'orky' name.. (Thinking about the old 'space ork' racing game 'Gorkamorka').

Early idea of Ork Freebooterz (Ork Pirates).

Somewhat later..

SO, at last, if one introduced 'Orks' as some minor species (not like 40k). Is there some more obscure species (than Gamorreans) which could take the role of 'Orks'? If not, any suggestions what to call them as 'Orks' is TM:d I guess.. Laughing (My SW 'space dwarfs' are called Khazorians and the 'Eldars' are the Eltharins. Both are very obscure species, Eltharins does not even officially exists if you ask the Empire (Which you shouldnt, as that will bring unvanted attention from the Inquisitors Twisted Evil ))
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the 'Raiders' spaceships in Serenity is close to how I see the Ork ships.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Oh, and the 'Raiders' spaceships in Serenity is close to how I see the Ork ships.

That's pretty fitting really.

The Black Library book Xenology has some interesting ideas on Orks, probably a little further than you want to take them.

Gamorians might well be what you're looking for even with their problems. Have a look at this guy. With a little tampering Gamorians are pretty much spot on and given Orks are a genetically modified species anyway all you really have to do is change the name a little to make it sound like some sort of offshoot species.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
With a little tampering Gamorians are pretty much spot on and given Orks are a genetically modified species anyway all you really have to do is change the name a little to make it sound like some sort of offshoot species.

This seems like the moste likely solution. I dont have to 'change' the whole Gamorrean species and still dont have to come up how to fit an entire new species into the SW 'verse (The Khazorians ended up being isolationists and and the Eltharins are unknown to the vast majority).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Gamorks? Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo, 'Gamorks' are the results of a failed genetic experiment (by the Rakatans?) where they used Gamorrean stock to breed a more versatile but yet simple 'warrior race'. Within the Gamork species there are 'supspecies' which are genetically inclined towards specifik tasks (Mekboys, Dokboys, Weirdboys as they are called in Gamork society today even though their original names are lost).

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good to me.

With the Orkish game I run I made the various castes/clans find it easier to learn certain skills rather than giving them bonuses to them. IE Meks pay less experience for engineering type skills (Rather like the Yakka, another altered species) this meant that someone who wanted to play against type didn't end up with a biunch of bonus dice that they weren't going to use.

In the older (retconned) fluff Orks were created by the Brainboys who were only able to maintain their vast intellect due to a specific (and exceedingly rare) fungus they ate. This fungus was only ever ablle to grow on their home planet and had to be shipped to the colonies. Unfortunately the Orks who were assigned to tend the fungus (eventually) noticed this and decided to have a massive feast.

With no way to sustain their intellect the Brainboys wove as much of their knowledge as they could into the Orks so that in some way they'd live on.

A background like that could even be adapted for a failed experiment.

Perhaps a splinter colony of Rakatans were attempting to develop a new warrior/slave race to take over with the home planet and start over.

With Star Forge destroying the Force sensitivity of the Rakatans on their homeworld and much of the Rakatan's technology is controlled/powered by The Force the Homeworld's technology level is greatly reduced.

This means a colony may be willing to try new things and the Force Sensitive technology might explain why Orkish technology seems to be (in part) powered by the Orks believing that it will work no matter how impractical it is. A varient of Force Sensitive technology that might still work in the shadow of the Star Forge.

However this colony may have been in an incredibly hostile environment (hence the making the Orks hardy) and the Rakatan are unable to get all the minerals/vitamins they need from local sources so they are forced to use suppliments.

The Orks wonder why they never get to take suppliments and raid the stores. With too much of the suppliment gone the Rakatan of the colony start to die out but they incode as much of their knowledge into the Orks as they can in the hope that the Orks will eventually carry out the plan without them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: