The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Offical stats for the Pulsar Skate in -any- game system? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same speed as a TIE Interceptor, sure. As an A-wing? Absolutely not.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it might have been hyperbole, but its still a good comparison. A-wings were built for one thing. SPEED.. Two massive engines, with a cockpit thats it really.. The Baudo is no where close to it in size, at least four a-wings could fit in it.. and it has the same imo, size engines as the a-wing.. SO SHOULD be slower.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnLydiaParker wrote:
Same speed as a TIE Interceptor, sure. As an A-wing? Absolutely not.

The TIE Interceptor (Space 11) is actually faster than the stock Baudo (Space 10). The Baudo is as fast as a TIE/ln fighter. If anything, it should be made slower, as a Space 8 or 9 ship would still have respectable speed for a civilian transport, but not to the point where it can outrun dedicated space superiority fighters.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe it might have been hyperbole, but its still a good comparison. A-wings were built for one thing. SPEED.. Two massive engines, with a cockpit thats it really.. The Baudo is no where close to it in size, at least four a-wings could fit in it.. and it has the same imo, size engines as the a-wing.. SO SHOULD be slower.

I scaled it out and calculated it; I'm used to Traveller dtons, so all the following are in volume. Using the smaller and likely more accurate A-Wing size, each engine on a Baudo is... over twice the size of the entire A-Wing. Each engine on an A-wing is 75% of the size of one of the four on an X-wing. The percentage of volume the engines take up on an A-wing is 11.5-12 percent; the percent volume on a Baudo is... 11.5-12%.

Also, the point of a Baudo is also to got fast, just in a larger package. And in X-Wing, Rouge Squadron, at the end when the Pulsar Skate grabs Corran's X-wing it's apparently pulling away from TIE Interceptors; from a standing start strangely enough. There's enough non-specificity to put the Intercepters at being less then their top speed, and not putting in a real effort to chase. Still, I'm not going to put a ship as faster then a TIE Interceptor for basic narrative reasons; being able to avoid any fight doesn't work well.

I'm also used to final draft d20 RCR speeds (and will probably keep using them); mostly the same numbers, to convert some d6 fighters on should get about +1 speed, light freighters occasionally +1. A few numbers:
3-6 - most capital ships.
4-8 - most light freighters, usually factory-stock.
8 - Y-Wing - and slow for a starfighter.
9 - B-Wing
10 - X-Wing and TIE Starfighter. Stock Baudo.
9-11 - many to most starfighters.
12 - TIE Interceptors; some faster fighters. Pulsar Skate.
14 - A-Wing, Jedi Interceptor.

Under those numbers giving the Pulsar Skate the same speed as a TIE Interceptor isn't much of a problem.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that context, it makes sense. There’s not a whole lot of room to work with on a scale of 1-12, so as long as you’re moving the Baudo up as part of a larger, general recalibration of Space values, it fits. However, if you’re going to justify the Pulsar Skate’s speed on book fluff, it’s also worth considering that, in the novel X-Wing Rogue Squadron, the Skate is first seen running (with no/limited success) from standard TIEs (IIRC; it’s been a while, and I don’t have access to my book collection). I don’t have an issue with a smuggler-modified star yacht being faster than stock, but all the evidence should be taken into account. No stats are canon, especially those written up by fandom writers.

JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not making it more clear; I think that space 10 for a stock Baudo WEG gave it in Pirates and Privateers is fine - the space 11 was for the upgraded Pulsar Skate specifically on the 1-12 scale. And I'm almost certainly going to be using the 1-14 scale, where speed 10 isn't as exceptional and there's more room at the high end.

Also, the d20 ship design rules explicitly limit starfighters to speed 14, space transports under 50 meters to 12, and capital ships to 8. After repeatedly changing it they finally gave the Falcon' a speed of 8.

In practical terms, I'd describe it as Interceptors starting ahead or too the side only getting one or two passes in, slower stuff coming from ahead a single pass.

I'd completely forgotten about that scene. Smile Since the book was already in arms reach....
An interdictor cruiser used within-system jumping to surprise the Skate', while it was waiting for a rendezvous with another ship. According to it's captain:
"...It worked at Chorax too (referring to intra-system jumping), because the Skate had no idea where we came from. It took them nearly six seconds to begin evasive maneuvers. I took the liberty of closing to use our ion cannons during this time. Then a dozen X-wings came into the system. I deployed my Interceptor squadron..."

I misremembered that the TIE's had already been launched. Apparently no evidence for speed either way.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 9 would be good for the base, 11 for the modified pulsar.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JohnLydiaParker This may interest you. It’s a chart I wrote up for a different house rule, but it includes a Speed Chart that includes Space values up to Space 16, along with their equivalent Atmosphere values. There are a couple droid-manned platforms in the setting that were capable of Space 14 (probably on account of not needing to budget the power for life support), so should probably be moved up to Space 16.

Also worth noting that, in 1E Tramp Freighters, there was an illegal drive that did the equivalent of Space 14 (Speed Code 7D). It was written out of 2E, but was included in the fan-made Blockade Runners’ Guide, which can be found in the Rancor Pit Library.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: