The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Stats Books Re-edit - Corrections and Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The Stats Books Re-edit - Corrections and Suggestions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
THe Alpha-3 V-Wing fighter is supposed to be one of the fastest fighters, yet it's converted Space rating is only 8-9. Since it is faster than an A-Wing, and nearly as fast as a Eta-2 in SAGA, maybe it should be upped to Space 12 or 13?

Yeah, I'll bump it up a little, maybe up to 12. It just bugs me that a fighter that gets substituted by the TIE Fighter would be faster than the A-Wing. I'm fine with the Eta-2 being so fast, cause it's a specialized fighter built by the Jedi, but this Republic-Imperial mass-produced V-Wing line fighter.....
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
THe Alpha-3 V-Wing fighter is supposed to be one of the fastest fighters, yet it's converted Space rating is only 8-9. Since it is faster than an A-Wing, and nearly as fast as a Eta-2 in SAGA, maybe it should be upped to Space 12 or 13?

Yeah, I'll bump it up a little, maybe up to 12. It just bugs me that a fighter that gets substituted by the TIE Fighter would be faster than the A-Wing. I'm fine with the Eta-2 being so fast, cause it's a specialized fighter built by the Jedi, but this Republic-Imperial mass-produced V-Wing line fighter.....

Is it really? Looking at the text from Wookie its supposed to be fast, but it doesnt mention it being faster than an A-wing. The speed stat is also lower than both the A-wing and the TIE fighter.

Where can you find information that mentions the V-wing as the fastest of the three?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Is it really? Looking at the text from Wookie its supposed to be fast, but it doesnt mention it being faster than an A-wing.

Not surprising, cosniding that the A-Wing didn7t exist yet.

ZzaphodD wrote:

The speed stat is also lower than both the A-wing and the TIE fighter.

Which speed stat?

The atmosphere rating giveing is a range: 1000kmh to 62,000 kmh. Fiarly useless. The 62,000 would make it faster than any other spacecraft.

THe SAGA listed something like 1450kmh, which is faster than an A-Wing, a Delta-7, but not quite as fast as an eta 2.

Bit that is really accleration, not speed. ALthogh I did use it for speed in that starship construction thing I'm working on. 4,800 would place is below a Delta 7 (5000G) and a A-Wing (5100G).

Using 4800G and my Consturction guide I get Space 12.

Now if we loo
The 4,800 G accleration rating

Where can you find information that mentions the V-wing as the fastest of the three?[/quote]
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

12 would be fine to me. I just didn7t like that it was slower than the V-19 that it replaced. That 12, also matches up perfectly with my G rating to SPACE speed table is a perk for me.

I just assume that TIEs are slower becuase they are being made on the cheap. It looks like the Empire went for quanitity not quality and that nobody else had the resources to make a fast starfighter until leate in the rebellion era.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Is it really? Looking at the text from Wookie its supposed to be fast, but it doesnt mention it being faster than an A-wing.

Not surprising, cosniding that the A-Wing didn7t exist yet.

ZzaphodD wrote:

The speed stat is also lower than both the A-wing and the TIE fighter.

Which speed stat?

The atmosphere rating giveing is a range: 1000kmh to 62,000 kmh. Fiarly useless. The 62,000 would make it faster than any other spacecraft.

THe SAGA listed something like 1450kmh, which is faster than an A-Wing, a Delta-7, but not quite as fast as an eta 2.

Bit that is really accleration, not speed. ALthogh I did use it for speed in that starship construction thing I'm working on. 4,800 would place is below a Delta 7 (5000G) and a A-Wing (5100G).

Using 4800G and my Consturction guide I get Space 12.

Now if we loo
The 4,800 G accleration rating

Where can you find information that mentions the V-wing as the fastest of the three?
[/quote]

Well, just because the fighters do not exist at the same time does not mean a descriptive text cant compare them...

AFAIK the MGLT stats are space speed.

From SW VI post production chart.

From Wookie
V-Wing: 75 MGLT
TIE: 100 MGLT
A-Wing: 120 MGLT

However we see those stat, when you read about the A-wing it mentions the designers drew from prior experience.

"The beginning of the A-wing resides in General Jan Dodonna's post-battle analysis of the Battle of Yavin. The value of Alliance starfighters were undeniable in the battle—but Dodonna was concerned that a simple trio of TIE starfighters had almost foiled the trench run. Knowing that the Imperial Navy was conducting similar analyses and would come to the same conclusions, Dodonna set about planning the creation of a dedicated Alliance interceptor."

"Blissex had valuable experience from his work on the Clone Wars-era Delta-7 and Alpha-3 interceptors, and the two set about drawing up designs."

So, basically, if they needed a really speedy fighter and there already was one design availible, why go through all the trouble of making a new one (with all the funding problems mentioned)?

I assume someone who made the speed stats (was it in SAGA?) didnt have their facts right.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Well, just because the fighters do not exist at the same time does not mean a descriptive text cant compare them...

True, but the trext didn't in this case. For the most part the book doesn't refer to rebellion era stuff.

ZzaphodD wrote:

AFAIK the MGLT stats are space speed.

MGLT are speed ratings for the X-Wing series of games. But, as the chart shows they don't match up with the RPG. By MGLT X-Wings are as fast as TIE Fighters. D6 has TIE fasters as being faster.

Still, it's moot in this case, since we don't have a MGLT rating from Lucasfilm for the V-19 or most other ships. It7s once reason why I used accleration. THat and the fact that there really isn't a max speed in space anyway.

But the values are certainly up for debate.

ZzaphodD wrote:

However we see those stat, when you read about the A-wing it mentions the designers drew from prior experience.

So, basically, if they needed a really speedy fighter and there already was one design availible, why go through all the trouble of making a new one (with all the funding problems mentioned)?

Well for starters the actual design(s) might not have been avaialbe. For another, all the Clone War era design were 20 years old, were out of production for years, and probably used parts that couldn't be obtained anymore. If this were true, then the Rebellion would need to build from scratch anyway, and so would probably decide to incoprate some imrpovements reflecting advanced in technology over the past 20 years.

ZzaphodD wrote:

I assume someone who made the speed stats (was it in SAGA?) didnt have their facts right.

That presupposed that there were "facts" to get right. Most of the time the folks at Lucasfilm don't provide the level of detail that we'd like for gaming. If they did, and made the info available, most of these iutations wouldn7t come up. We'd still get some, since what we see on screen doen7t always match up with the stats (if X-Wings really are as fast as TIE'S how did they TIEs catch up with Luke during the Death Star Trench run?).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(if X-Wings really are as fast as TIE'S how did they TIEs catch up with Luke during the Death Star Trench run?).

Since the guns were only shooting at the X-wings and stopped firing once the TIEs closed, Luke couldn't do a full out move, since he needed to be able to roll piloting/dodge. The TIE's didn't need to dodge so they could move full out.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

MGLT are speed ratings for the X-Wing series of games. But, as the chart shows they don't match up with the RPG. By MGLT X-Wings are as fast as TIE Fighters. D6 has TIE fasters as being faster.

Nah, its from Ep VI, but the X-Wing series also used them.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If clone war stuff in general is inferior, whats the point to come up with scenarios how it possible might not be in this case?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
(if X-Wings really are as fast as TIE'S how did they TIEs catch up with Luke during the Death Star Trench run?).

Performance enhancing drugs.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Easy- in the game when you raise shields you lose speed. An X-Wing only goes as fast as a TIE with shields lowered.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Quote:

Easy- in the game when you raise shields you lose speed. An X-Wing only goes as fast as a TIE with shields lowered.

I missed that in the RAW.

I know X-Wing used to work that way. I used to pull off some tricks by powerr down the lasers and shields so I could reach the targets for the mission objectives faster.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the status of this project gry? Smile 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Power Reply with quote

obidancer wrote:
I don't want to change subject, but I was wondering the following after going through one of my Adventure Journal:
Has this Force Power ever been added to the Force Power List:

Merge Senses
Sense Difficulty: Moderate. Modified by Proximity.
Time to use: Three Rounds.
Required power: Magnify Senses.
Effect: This power alows a Force user to perceive things through the senses of another creature, one with animal intelligence or less. He can see through the eyes of the selected creature, enjoying the benefits or being bound by the restrictions of the creature's vision. he can hear through the creature's ears; smell what the creature smell; and physically fee whatever the creature is feeling. The Force user does not control the creature, but can make suggestions. The simpler, the less threatening the request, the more likely it will be agreed to. If a suggestion goes against the nature of the creature or would put it in an obvious hazardous situation, the Force user must make a sense roll against the subject's willpower. Failure means the suggestion is ignored.
While the Force user's senses are merged with a creature's, the Force user's body is motionless, its senses unable to function until, of course, the meld is broken. Releasing the target creature require a Moderate roll. The link with the creature is also broken by the death of either the creature or the Force user. If the creature suffers damage or dies during a meld; the Force user suffers one-half the amount of damage.

Being printed in the Adventure Journal (#14, p83), it is official. SO I believe it should be in the updated list.
If it is already and I missed it, my apologies.

Wow.. nice write up.. This power almost reminds me of the late 80s early 90s film, Scanners 2, where our hero of the story and his sister, use their "scanning" powers (kind of like a mix of telepathy, telekineses etc) to take control/ride the senses of a fat corrupt cop...

Quote:
I am not completely sure, but has there ever been a conversion for force whirlwind (p. 110 D20 revised core rulebook)?
Perhaps this could be added.

I thought that was the force wind power Stren used in the Jedi academy novels?

Quote:
Which brings me to a similar question, what about the Weapons book? There I originally scattered the droid weapons into their general chapters (Droid Flamethrower in the Ranged Weapons: Flame Projectors chapter). Should I gather them all into a single Droid Weapons chapter, then?

Droids weapon chapter would be good. Same with vehicle weaponry.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
what the status of this project gry? Smile 8)

It's waiting for normality to resume so I can get to it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: