The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Non Combat Encounters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Non Combat Encounters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Non Combat Encounters Reply with quote

Any good ideas for some non combat encounters? Those ones are definitely the hardest to game master. I'm thinking that I need some NPC interaction type stuff, but I'm kind of stumped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use some diplomacy encounters or bargaining situations, you know, bribing the customs official to let you land.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could create a slicer character. He could hack into some top secret computer system. Maybe it's a stand-alone system with no access to the outside world. So the characters have to come up with some sort of distraction to get him inside so he can actually sit down at the computer and hack it. I'm thinking something like Mission Impossible when Tom Cruise comes down on that rope into the computer room...

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Here's one... Reply with quote

I had to sneak two Ewok's into an Imperial Military Installation one time, no combat there...

Or wouldn't have been if not for the stupid false bottom falling off the janitor's cart...

Spying, if done right, involves no combat at all. Only if you fail do you start acting like James Bond.
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy one, that is bound to happen. Sooner or later, any space campaign will have space combat. Perhaps make sure some of the damage requires them to head off to space dock to look for parts. The part(s) needed, could involve dealing with a con artist mechanic( which means repeat business, or if they figure it out, another trip back to deal with him for making the problem) Perhaps the part needed, means a special deal where the characters need to deal in trade, and not credits (maybe they have no credits). And the adventure goes back and forth on some planet trying to trade part A, for Part B, which is traded for part C which the characters are in need of.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puzzles and mystries.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characters can generally make combat out of any situation if they are that type of character but a good mission for a non-combat situation is a salvage mission.

You know twisted wreckage of a super star destroyer floating all alone in space... what could have destroyed it? Is there something on board to be salvaged? Is the structure stable enough for us to explore? Has this been reported.

No combat is neccessary but there can be a lot done with either trying to restore limited power to the ship to open the locked blast doors or trying to blast through them without collapsing the ships superstructure.

Done well the game can have a very paranoid feel... how can such a prise be unnoticed... are other people trying to salvage this ship right now?
Djas Puhr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty hunter campaigns can actually offer a lot of non-combat situations, if done right. A good bounty hunter should be able to capture his mark without ever firing a shot. There is a lot of investigation to do, by both legal and illegal means. They can search public records, hack into computer systems, search dwellings and vehicles, question witnesses, etc. Sometimes there may be tension between the bounty hunters and the local law enforcement that has to be dealt with. Once the bounty hunters locate their man, there is still a lot of planning to do to capture them. You can always go in guns blazing, but sometimes it's more fun (and challenging) to come up with a plan to capture them without having to get into a blaster fight. It depends if the mark knows the bounty hunters are on to him or not. If he does, you may have to act fast to nab him before he makes a run for it. If not, you can take your time and plan a safer method of apprehending him.
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I once did a rbel move where I told some impirials that they should meet us for some info about rebels told them not to bring armour cause theyd look suspicious. Also told some actual troops to come and that there were some rebels there... just sat back and wtched them kill each other. In the end we had to kill three of them, but we didn't shoot them!
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always create a situation where combat would be impossible so that the characters would have to do, my personal favorite, and con there way through the situation...like they need to sneak into an extremely well gaurded building and they con and disguise there way in... Very Happy
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cargo Negotiation. Always a good idea... Particularily if the group has a Freighter (Which most do.).

Learn the culture of Trade, and the different ways people do it...

In some places, insults, jibes, and comments about family history are the norm... In others, it is all serious and reflectionary... In yet others, joking and joshing are methods of decreasing price due to entertainment value... In others, there's no such thing as a deal, it's that price, take it or get the heck out!!!

This makes it difficult if the group *REALLY* needs the items in question, and aren't given enough resources to pay for them...

Example: The PCs are on an excursion to go out and get materials for the Rebel Alliance... Cold Weather Gear, for instance. They're given a limited number of credits (Cash and trade goods, mostly precious metals melted into small bars), and that's it. They have to go out, on their own, and find a few ten thousand units in various sizes (Including one for a particularily nasty Barabel who also demands a "Tail Warmer".).

Where do they go? Who do they trade with? Will they be able to do it within, or better yet, under budget... How do they do that??? Take into consideration time available, hyperspace conditions, ect., and you have a tough prospect just to get a bunch of red flannel undies. Laughing

Not very combative, but highly entertaining... Unless you have a Jedi that just goes, "And you'll give us the same deal you gave your Brother..." and waves his hand around...

'Course... Toydarians are immune to that Twisted Evil
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade runs are always nice, they can be legt or shady at you will. have the char sell stuff.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Not very combative, but highly entertaining... Unless you have a Jedi that just goes, "And you'll give us the same deal you gave your Brother..." and waves his hand around...

Unless of course the trader hates their brother for some reason and that causes a monumental increase in prices... Or better still the shop assistant sees this, gets on the holo net and dials 1-800-u-squeal and notifies the local imperial presence of a force user in the area Twisted Evil

Then it becomes about out running the imperial ships without leading them back to the rebel base
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostage negotiation 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"First Contact" encounters. You deal with a species that noone else in the Galaxy has encountered, but has learned Basic from the numerous Hypercom Transmission (Like learning an Earth Language from the Radio/TV Signals from Earth).

Be particularily great if they regenerate, and their form of introduction is punching the toughest guy in the face repeatedly.

Be really interesting if the group has a Wookiee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: