The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What to do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What to do? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do i do?
Kick the player out.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Let him stay and deal with it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Try to talk to him.
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu is right. YOU'RE the final approving authority.

If he wants to stat up another character after this one goes dark, fine. You take his old character, and when he has a new, feeble Jedi running around, his new and improved NPC dark sider can be used to come around and smoke the new character.

How's that for poetic justice?
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, if this person really is a good friend, and you don't want to lose that friendship, perhaps moving away from your own bias, and taking the time to work with the player to explain the rules so that he understands them, as well as talking to him about it and explaining how his complaining is sorely dampening your friendship and enjoyment of his presence in the game, will help out the entire situation. Don't go into it thinking you're right and he's wrong, as that will lead to sure failure to keep him part of the group. Look at it how YOU can help, and maybe even change a little, to make it so that everyone in the group can have fun.

I almost hate to say it because this advice really sounds good, but I disagree.

1. If this person really was your friend, he wouldn't be doing that to your game in the first place. It's not like the guy is ruining the game by accident.

2. Your own bias against the light siders doesn't sound like it's a secret. He went into this game knowing how you feel. If he doesn't like it, it's not YOUR fault, because it's not like you suddenly sprang it on him mid-game. The other players in your game all agreed to play in a no-light-side-jedi-game, so it's not just your game anyway.

3. The part about taking the time to explain the rules is also against my judgement. The guy has plenty of time to watch others play, and to read the book himself. If he really wanted to learn the rules, he would have done it already. Doesn't sound like anyone else has this problem.

4. Your GMing of the game and enforcing the campaign setting is not what's straining your friendship, his rude, selfish and childish behavior is. If the guy cared about your friendship he wouldn't be ruining your game. If he didn't like the game he should just leave instead of purposefully imploding it for everyone.

5. DO go into it thinking you're right and he's wrong, because he is. Nobody who ruins a game is right, no matter what. Your duty as GM is to make sure everyone is having fun. If he's imploding the game, the maybe he would be having more fun doing something else.

Quote:
There's no quicker way to kill a game or game group than to tell players "my way or the highway".

Yeah, I agree with this. But, the situation in this particular case isn't that the GM is laying down his own personal law. It's the entire group's decision to play in the kind of campaign setting they have. It's the GM's DUTY to enforce that on all players, or to change the setting if the players all agree it should be changed. It's certainly not doing your job to just allow the guy to ruin everyone's time.

The bottom line is that he's doing it on purpose. For whatever reason, his intent is to make everyone as unhappy as he is and convince them that the game sucks. If he won't stop, then he should go. I think the world coddles these childish behavior asshats far too much. Do the right thing and show him that he's wrong. He should either stop playing or get with the program. If he really is your friend, he needs a wake-up call something like

You: "Dude, I thought we were friends, why are you ruining my game like this? If you don't like the game then at least don't ruin it for everyone you butt-munch."

If the guy has an ounce of "grown-up" in him he'll go

Him: "Yeah I guess you're right, I just don't like this game. Let's play nintendo."

To which you answer

You: "Nintendo? You lamer, get a PC like a real man."

To which he will likely say

Him: "Man my mom won't spring for a PC."

To which you answer

You: "Your mom? wtf man, get a job! Are you like 10 or what? GROW the F*** up man!"

Him: "But I can't help it, I <insert lame excuse here>."

You: "That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. The maximum effective range of an excuse is exactly ZERO meters, you know that?"

Him: "But... but..."

You: "Man I was beating the bushes with a machette back in the Nam before you even learned to suck on momies nipple. You need to cowboy the hell up and get some nads. Now you gonna game like a real man without all the whinin' or you gonna go back to potty training?"

Yeah... somethin like that.... uhh time for my PTSD medication I think...

Scott

Last edited by scott2978 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Ankhanu is right. YOU'RE the final approving authority.

If he wants to stat up another character after this one goes dark, fine. You take his old character, and when he has a new, feeble Jedi running around, his new and improved NPC dark sider can be used to come around and smoke the new character.

How's that for poetic justice?

You're delightfully evil Smile
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like he may just be sour with the way Jedi are supposed to be played in your campaign. Have you asked him what sort of character he'd like to create if and when his goes dark?

And yes, Skyler is a bit twisted, but that's his charm! Twisted Evil
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyler's idea is one I had myself but didn't feel was really called for under the circumstances... The circumstances being that I'm not the GM and can't do the honors myself. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He complains whenever his character fails to do something, wild die or not. An example is that he has only 2d in languages and tried to translate Wookiee for himself. This wookiee was like chewbacca where you have to realy pay attention to hear him. he rolls a total of 5 and i say that all here heard was (i made wookiee noises). and then he complains says that even he should be able to understand wookiee no matter for some crazy wookieepedia reason.

Seems like a case of 'spoilt brat' syndrome... where the player is used to always getting their way/winning.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just don't quite grasp that in a real RPG there is no GodMode.
Aise
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decission on to talk to him before my next session but it was all for not. He called a few minunits ago and said that he was sorry thet he kept complaining in my campaign and it was just that he made his jedi character after watching an anime or something and based it off a character in that so he didn't actually like it but at the time he did. So he asked if i could character off and if he could make a new character. So i told him ok and that i'd help him later this week.

So, everything works out. yay Rolling Eyes
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm... do you think he's been watching these boards?

Well, I'm happy for you that it seems everything will turn out for the better!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
It sounds like he may just be sour with the way Jedi are supposed to be played in your campaign. Have you asked him what sort of character he'd like to create if and when his goes dark?

And yes, Skyler is a bit twisted, but that's his charm! Twisted Evil

Wink You know it, man!

Whether he's been reading this board or not, I am happy the situation worked itself out for you.

But keep my suggestion in mind. He shoulda been making the 1 die roll vs. those DSPs from the moment he got his first one. Of course, with a 1 there's NO way you can roll lower. But the fact that you're taking the time to make him do it should drive home the point that you're watching him, and that he'd better toe the friggin' line...
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some really good responses here. Ultimately, I think a number should have helped enough to solve or better understand the issue. I thought I'd ad encouragement in addressing the problem player, and explain what you have an issue with. Really, the game is for everyone's enjoyment, and if it is not being enjoyed by all, something does have to change. If it becomes burdensome, then that person(s) will end up looking for something that will be fun. If it's the GM that is losing their drive, that means all players end up suffering.

Sometimes this does mean hard choices do get made.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have any problems with my players, I ask them about it. If they do not answer truthfully, not my problem. If they continue to be a problem, my players have the power to remove other players from the group. I had a friend voted out of the game because the other players didn't like him. He's a good gamer but there was friction. But make it known that the good of the gaming group comes before any individual. And everyone has to have fun, otherwise something is wrong.
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
You should make clear what is made clear in any game rule book... The GM is in charge of the story. With that, the GM can play with setting to suite a story, this includes, but is not limited to, going against or altering canon.

Wookieepedia should not be an issue Razz

I totally agree with this point. In my upcoming campaign I've made it clear that the only thing canon for this game are the movies. All the rest of the EU may or may not exhist and I'm free to alter it as needed. Because it takes place right after ANH even episodes V and VI are up for change. "Always in motion the future is..."
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Hummm... do you think he's been watching these boards?

Does this ever come up as a concern for you guys? I have several ideas for the campain I'd like to discuss but am afraid to because a few of the players may come here. But I hate to ask them or mention it because if I do I'm SURE they will come here. Not that I want to keep membership down. I just don't want MY players reading all of your good ideas I steal before I get to use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: