The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Layering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor Layering Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last post was me, forums kicked me off

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do that, you're just replacing what's lost, so the dex penalty will come back.
Same logic, improving light armor with no dex penalty may have the same effect. You dig?

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our campaign we choose to apply practical rules (oppossed to realistic rules) every time.
We try to keep it as realistic as possible (as realistic as a starwars setting can be). Armors are more of a fashion device for us.

We have a... Merc? (more of a bounty hunter that does not hunt Very Happy) that uses a hi-tech full armor, filled with techno stuff. Protection: +2D (no penalties)

We have a swordsmaid that uses a modified storm commando armor (protection: something between 1D and 2D, i don't know, and has no penalties)

We have an assassin with a +2D bubblegum crisis like powersuit or a jumpsuit and a personal shield that provide +2D together

We have me, a jedi knight that did not use armor for 90% of his career, and after spending countless force points, 20+ character points and 3 reduce injuries just to survive decided to don a modified light armor (it looks really cool, kind of darth maul's battle dress) that provides -i feel soooo munchinkin- +2D and you guessed it, no dex penalties.

We have 5 more pcs, but one is a velocirraptor that does not use armor, and the other 4 are ocassional players and im lucky i can remember the names of almost all of their character, i dont know what they wear.

The point is:
Layer whatever you want, +2D+2 is the max armor you will get.
We dont use the armor dex penalties much (moderate armor repair difficulty to get it off)
Take my sun away, away...
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Layer whatever you want, +2D+2 is the max armor you will get.

well what if you find mandolorian armor, or upgrade standard storm trooper armor to max. There are ways to get past 2D+2 protection.
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max upgrade to stormtrooper armor is +2D+2!!! (+ an extra die physical)
And mandalorian armor... well... we never went to mandalore Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ive seen a couple of (unofficial) stats for mandalorian armor, and all seemed ridiculous to me, like +3D physical, +4Denergy, extra +5D against lightsabers
I found amusing that every single equipment part that someone people likes is uber l33t godly equipment...
If mandalorean armor happens to be that way, i think bobba fett would loose all my credit (to be the best bounty hunter in the galaxy is good, but any moron with god mode (aka 7D+2 str when a blaster does 4D) can get there quite easily)

By the way... have you noticed that fett is the best bounty hunter, luke is the best jedi, leia is the best politician, lando is the best... blah blah.
I found quite amusing that the heroes are "the best in the galaxy" in about any area you can think of... (i bet the 2-1B unit that healed luke was the best medic in the galaxy)
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from me. I practically wrote the book on munchkin armor stuff.
+3D phy, +1D en, +5D energy shield on a guy with strength of 5D. Do the math. personally, (+2D phy/en no dex penalty) armor is cool statistically, but if you can't hurt your pc's and they have seen through the illusion of them being harmed(ie intimidating villians with powerful-looking weapons, etc.) you're screwed. Only without armor, or only with light armor, can pcs test their metal. CPs, FPs and good roleplaying can make up for lack of protection.
As a player, light, layered armor has meant the difference between incapacitated and wounded. As a MOG, (+2D phy/en no penalty)armor has meant "wow, I need to roll a 1 on a character point to not be stunned!"

I don't mean to say I want to hurt my pcs, I only want to show them that combat is dangerous. Especially if they seek it out.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, part of the reason i try to keep away from uber uber armor... Smile although sometimes even just a light suit can mean the difference between life and death Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a vicious circle;
Pcs have high armor repair 'cause they want more armor, so the GM throws in more and more powerful baddies that do more and more harm, so the stupid unarmored jedi dies (3 times!!!). So the stupid unarmored jedi becomes a seasoned jedi (with 2 force points instead of 5 and 480 CP instead of 525) and dons an uber armor (or stops fighting!) i did both, since i realized fighting is pointless 90% of the time (sometimes i wish i had ls combat so i can eat baddies for breakfast)
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as Ragnar, I have seen the picture from both sides. At first I wore a lot of armor because I thought it was cool and I started a lot of fights. Then there was a giant period of game time where I had no armor. I still got into fights and found out that life is harder without armor. the bottom line is(for characters like Ragnar) you need at the very least some light armor, otherwise you will die eventually. 8)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icebrand wrote:
Ive seen a couple of (unofficial) stats for mandalorian armor, and all seemed ridiculous to me, like +3D physical, +4Denergy, extra +5D against lightsabers
I found amusing that every single equipment part that someone people likes is uber l33t godly equipment...

Makes me wonder. If this kind of armour is available, why isn't the Empire using it?
You are seeing what we call "game inflation". We avoid it by limiting what is available. Sure players can come up with cool ideas but uber armour can only be made out up a rare metal known as unobtanium - which, as you know, requires sophisticated casting equipment and manufacturing techniques ala Dark Troopers.

I always laugh when I read of 6D+2 damage armour piercing revolvers and such. Again I ask, so why isn't the Empire using them? They are clearly superior to E-11s.

This problem is easily avoided by keeping to the movies. It's O.K. to have a super item once in a while (after travelling to distant planets, dodging the ISB patrols, fighting the aliens that use the uber equipment against the players and escaping the Imperial military sent to capture this uber technology for the Empire - and, oh yeah, dealing with the dark Jedi who's come for the secret of the anti-lightsaber coating), but not every character all the time. Uber equipment should be something special, something the characters have earned - not something available at the shopping mall.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandalorian armor isn't exactly available... it's extremely rare.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only morellians have the enforcer, that's why... and on top of that, it's physical damage and the empire probably sees it as "low tech". And, there's always the fact that the 6D+2 revolver only has 4 bullets... instead of the blaster rifle's 100 shots Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you saying the player characters can never aquire Mandaloran armour or a Morellian Enforcer because they're unavailable? Well, then I think we agreed.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandalorian armor, yes

an enforcer is a little easier to aquire... but most characters aren't even skilled with firearms so it doesn't make much sense when they can get their hands on a T-6 which does 1 pip less damage, and can be modified up to 8D... it's probably cheaper too

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, those uber 6D+2 are 5D+2 most of the time... Physical damage sucks
A blaster repeater does 6D damage, and you can buy it at the local black market for a couple of thousand credits... (i think the trip to morellia or whatever cost more)
By the way, another random though... do you charge pcs with interspace travel fees? i mean, c'mon, do ships travel million of lightyears without refilling? gas should be expensive!!! (and ship insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc).
An IT 1300 could be cheap, but an A-Wing would DEFINITELY drain most character pockets dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: