The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Notice (Search, Expanded)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Notice (Search, Expanded) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Totally Not An ISB Agent
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The only thing I don't like there is the sense that it applies only in combat. I'd definitely want to come up with a title that's a bit more expansive.

Personally, I like that it only applies to combat, but for you maybe you could call the regular skill Awareness and the advanced skill Heightened Awareness. Or maybe Notice and Notice ALL the Things. Wink
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread - and interesting to see the thread (and my house rules) evolve over time.

Here is where I am at (currently) - based on ideas and interchanges here;

Passive detection....

I added a specialization to Search called notice - it is for passive situations to notice things, but is limited in details "there is a bulge in the pocket" or "there was a sound near the door".

I have an additional rule in my game that Specializations cannot be more than 2D above the base skill -so this does give some limit to it.

Advanced Skills
I have changed advanceds skills - as inspired by Martial Arts - I have overhauled mine into related abilities groupings, such that when a player first learns or improves an Advanced skill, they can learn a technique associated with it. This is an idea which has been kind of around for a while. Each advanced skill has prerequisites (in other skills, etc.) and about a dozen or more techniques under them, ranked into tiers, tied to the bonus of the parent Advanced Skill. (I found this simpler than creating a complex web of requirements and predecessors).

It also has the benefit of granting additional options for non-force users to invests in after a while, as opposed to "Oh, my blaster went from 8D+1 to 8D +2".

Anyway, more than one of my Advanced Skills has an "Awareness" ability under it which grants a passive bonus.

Passive Use: the effects of knowing this technique are:
• Advantage on checks to avoid Surprise.
• Advantage on first combat initiative checks.
Furthermore, in situations not covered by normal surprise
rules (sniper shot, timed trap, falling logs, etc.) a Search Skill
Check can be made to detect the hazard, although not the
exact nature of it, based on the situation.

Note: in my game, I use an "advantage" and "disadvantage" mechanic -
Advantage - roll twice, take the higher result.
Disadvantage - roll twice, take the lower result.

I find it is a great way to give a bonus, that overall does not skew results as much, as it does not alter the number of dice in a players dice pool when making a roll.

Summary:
Notice is a passive that anyone can try and learn, has limits and does not give specifics.

Awareness is only open by learning specific advanced skills, has requirements, and even that - has some limits.

Note 2: Folks who feel the Advantage/Disadvantage is too much dice rolling - all of my house rules are 100% designed to work with either normal (rolling dice, adding them up) or Success based (each die over a certain amount equates to difficulty level). There are pros and cons to each.

Note3: Most of the previous advanced skills I either converted to knowledge areas (knowing science or engineering etc.) or just ...flavor backgrounds - as being a rebel or smuggler is their job now.... if a PC wants to have previously been an engineer before - I work that into their background. I don't consider being a research scientist the full time job for a PC.

Anyway - some folks might find this interesting - some not - but I do want to say - that over the years the very informative and diverse views here on the pit have helped shape my house rules for my game.

Finally - finishing up my Advanced Skills (for non force users) is the last major part of my rules I want to finish before I open them up for general community feedback and help with proofing and testing...

may the wild die be with you... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: