The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Capital Ship Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Capital Ship Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Looking forward to them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, regarding the upcoming space stations stats, I'm thinking of giving them all 2D of Auxiliary Power. My thinking is that, since space stations are effectively immobile, they'll have more power available relative to a similarly-sized starship. On a related note, I'm thinking of giving all stations the ability to move slowly on their station-keeping impellers (ala what I did for the Golans), and then allowing them to increase their Space to 1 by diverting all 2D of Auxiliary Dice to the impeller.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see some progress is being made on this. Thanks, CRM!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so… I will have some downtime during the day on Friday, and plan to bang out some stats then. For now, I want to detail some common factors for all space stations (some of which will necessitate changes to my existing space station stats).
    1) All stations will have 2D of Auxiliary Power, which can be used subject to the same restrictions listed here. Stations with Backup Shields may bring up one additional backup shield per D of Auxiliary Power directed to them. Stations without Backup Shields may still achieve a similar effect by directing 1D of Auxiliary Power to Shields, and 1D to the Hull (Particle Shields).

2) Stations are equipped with impeller drives in order to maintain position. In this mode, the station can’t actually move, it just resists local gravity fields that might cause it to drift out of position. However, by diverting 1D of Auxiliary Power to the impeller, the station may make very limited movements. In game terms, the station would have a Space of 1/2. This is sufficient to move the station (slowly), but not enough to let it evade attacks. As with all ships, Moving All-Out would require diverting an additional 1D to the drive.

3) Stations normally have 0D Maneuverability, but can modify this to 1D by diverting 1D of Auxiliary Power to the Lateral Controls.

4) The RAW Skill for operating Space Stations is Battlestation Operations. However, since not all Stations are Battlestations, I will be truncating the RAW Skill to Space Station Operation. This will be the skill used for all Movement and any Auxiliary Power rolls.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, the official information on the XQ series of platforms is a conflicting mess, with randomly different crew sizes, dimensions and other factors, as well as a rather muddled and convoluted design history. What I've done here is combine the six known types of XQ Platforms into a single stat with options for modifications listed beneath. I also added tractor beams to the stock weapons loadout, since it makes sense for a space station to be able to grapple ships for landing purposes.

XQ-Series Space Platform

The XQ Space Platforms are an extremely common model of multi-role space stations. Originally designed and built by the little-known Bengel Shipbuilders Corporation, the successful and popular platform was eventually produced under license by the Telgorn Corporation and Xizor Transport Systems, as well as several others. They could be configured for a variety of roles, locations and threat environments, and were used as everything from cargo transfer ports to deepspace navigation or customs waypoints to top secret research & development facilities to covert operations bases.

The XQ was generally configured during assembly to meet the needs of the customer, with options for additional modules, a docking spar and heavier defensive weapons to name a few. Many would be subsequently modified even further by their new owners. Of particular note was the Yag'Dhul orbital station, modified with tractor beam projectors and a gravity well projector as part of the campaign by Rogue Squadron against Ysanne Isard's bacta cartel.

Craft: Bengel Shipbuilder's XQ-Series
Type: Multi-Role Space Platform
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Length: 1,000 meters
Skill: Space Station Operation
Crew: 1,123 (Skeleton: 510 @ +10) & 57 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Gunnery 3D+1
Operation 4D
Shields 4D
Sensors 3D+2
Transport Capacity:
--Passengers / Troops: 2,000
--Small Craft / Vehicles: 36 fighters (3 squadrons), plus up to 20 shuttles or light freighters
--Cargo: 40,000 metric tons
Consumables: 5 years
Maneuverability: See Below
Space: See Below
Hull: 3D
Shields: 2D
Auxiliary Power: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 40/1D
Scan 80/2D
Search 100/3D
Focus 5/4D
Weapons:
6 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: Special*
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Crew: 5
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 6D
6 Point Defense Cannon (Fire Separately)
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
CANNON TYPES (Ships may have one or the other, or a mix of the two):
    Laser Cannon
    Fire Control: 3D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/12/25
    --Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
    Damage: 4D

Dual Blaster Cannon
    Fire Control: 2D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-5/10/17
    --Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
    Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
    Damage: 3D

3 Tractor Beam Projectors
Scale: Special**
Crew: 4
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Range:
--Space: 1-5/15/30
--Orbital: 2km-10km/30km/60km
--Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1.5km/3km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 5D
**May switch between Destroyer (+12D), Frigate (+10D) and Starship (+6D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.
*Fire Arcs:The shape and weapons placement of the station makes assigning weapons to Fire Arcs a challenge. In general, assume that up to 2/3 of the weapons (4 of 6 Turbolasers or Point Defense Cannon, or 2 of 3 Tractor Beams) can fire at any given target.
Special Rules: MOVEMENT
    The Station is fitted with an Impeller Drive that is usually only powerful enough to hold its position relative to the local gravity well. However, if 1D of Auxiliary Power is diverted into the Impeller, the station can be moved very slowly. When this is done, apply the following stats:
      Space: 1/2
      Atmosphere: None; cannot operate in Atmosphere.
      Maneuverability: 2D
    This is far too slow and sluggish to allow for dodging incoming attacks (effective Velocity Modifier of 0D), but simple movement can throw off longer-ranged attacks. In addition, the remaining 1D of Auxiliary Power can be diverted to the Drive or Maneuvering Systems, giving the station the ability to Move All-Out, or increasing Maneuverability to 1D.
Optional Equipment:
    EXPANSION MODULE
    Fitted to the top of the stations central core, this module greatly increases the station's interior volume. It can be fitted for a variety of uses, including research & development, cargo storage, passenger accommodations or a mix of types as needed. If fitted, modify the station's stats as follows:
      Transport Capacity:
      --Passengers / Troops: 10,000 Passengers or 200,000 metric tons (may exchange at a rate of 1 Passenger per 20 metric tons)

DOCKING SPAR
    This 180-meter long tower is fitted to the underside of the station's central core, and enables it to directly dock with larger vessels, rather than sending shuttle craft across. The docking facilities at the tip are fitted with universal docking collars, and can handle either passengers or freight, using turbolifts running the length of the spar to access the station's main body.

WEAPON UPGRADES
    Occasionally, XQ-Series Stations are used for high-level research and development projects, as was the case with the development of certain advanced TIE models by the Empire during the Galactic Civil War. Such stations often have their defensive systems upgraded, particularly with a central light missile launcher turret, which can be loaded with anti-ordnance or anti-starfighter missiles.
      Light Warhead Launcher
      Fire Arc: Turret
      Crew: 3
      Skill: Starship Gunnery
      Rate of Fire: 1
      All Other Stats vary based on Weapon Type
      Capacity: 40. May select Light Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I’m considering applying Empire At War’s Alliance Space Station to the stats for the Rendili Stardrive’s Type I Light Duty Space Platform. While it may make sense in EaW for the Alliance to have a dedicated space station “type”, it’s beyond foolish in the RPG setting, as an immobile station that’s instantly recognizable as an Alliance facility will be destroyed or captured in very short order by the Imperial Navy. The only way it works is if the Alliance makes use of commonly available civilian stations with plausible cover identities or very out of the way locations.

Plus, since the EaW station was never given an official designation, and the Rendili Type I was pretty blatantly stolen from X-Wing, the switch papers over two discrepancies at once.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I've mixed and matched aspects of fluff from other ships (particularly the A-Wing and B-Wing), and I'm strongly considering some other changes to the Carrack and the Assault Cruiser. The Carrack's fluff specifically mentions how the heavily compartmentalized interior of the Carrack requires all of its small craft to be carrier internally, and for whatever reason, the Assault Cruiser gets a similar limitation (all small craft are required to use external dock, and can't be carried through hyperspace, save for one dock reserved for an assault shuttle). While the Assault Cruiser's hull does get cut down when converted from a Dreadnought, it also loses a lot of crew requirements along the way, and thus has plenty of internal volume left to make room for hangar bays, even if the stock Dreadnought hangar bays are removed in the process.

What I'm thinking is:
    -Move the "external docks" fluff from the Assault Frigate to the Carrack, and give it 3-4 "hard docks" (one for an Assault Shuttle, the others for more conventional shuttle craft like Lambdas or Mu's), plus 6-8 "soft docks", with "hard docks" having the capability to carry ships through hyperspace, while "soft docks" cannot. This is in addition to the stock TIE racks.

-Give the Assault Frigate decent hangar capacity (enough for two starfighter squadrons and a few assault shuttles, plus utility craft), and edit out the external docks.
.On a somewhat related note, the more I consider the Nebulon B, the less convinced I am that it has anything like the necessary internal volume needed to fit two squadrons of TIE fighters. I'm still considering my options, though.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On a related note, I’m considering applying Empire At War’s Alliance Space Station to the stats for the Rendili Stardrive’s Type I Light Duty Space Platform. While it may make sense in EaW for the Alliance to have a dedicated space station “type”, it’s beyond foolish in the RPG setting, as an immobile station that’s instantly recognizable as an Alliance facility will be destroyed or captured in very short order by the Imperial Navy. The only way it works is if the Alliance makes use of commonly available civilian stations with plausible cover identities or very out of the way locations.

Plus, since the EaW station was never given an official designation, and the Rendili Type I was pretty blatantly stolen from X-Wing, the switch papers over two discrepancies at once.

i'd imagine the Alliance Space Station was a civilian model, militarized by the Alliance.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I'd imagine the Alliance Space Station was a civilian model, militarized by the Alliance.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say. It doesn’t matter how militarized a civilian space station is; the Imperial Navy will always be able to bring enough firepower to bear to destroy it. Thus, the only long-term survival tactic for an Alliance Space Station would be deception and disguise as anything but an Alliance asset. The only openly Alliance stations are going to be in heavily defended, openly hostile systems like Dac. Everything else will either be masquerading as some civil or commercial facility or stashed in deep space somewhere, because as soon as it’s discovered, its lifespan is measurable in days.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I'd imagine the Alliance Space Station was a civilian model, militarized by the Alliance.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say. It doesn’t matter how militarized a civilian space station is; the Imperial Navy will always be able to bring enough firepower to bear to destroy it. Thus, the only long-term survival tactic for an Alliance Space Station would be deception and disguise as anything but an Alliance asset. The only openly Alliance stations are going to be in heavily defended, openly hostile systems like Dac. Everything else will either be masquerading as some civil or commercial facility or stashed in deep space somewhere, because as soon as it’s discovered, its lifespan is measurable in days.

Perhaps this kind of semi-standard "Rebel" station would be a good thing to begin including in a post Endor galaxy? It would make a very interesting background point about where the Alliance military really is in a game when they start hardening stations..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Perhaps this kind of semi-standard "Rebel" station would be a good thing to begin including in a post Endor galaxy? It would make a very interesting background point about where the Alliance military really is in a game when they start hardening stations..

There are plenty of larger, better armed stations that the Republic would have access to post-Endor. It would be far more efficient and economical to just buy a purpose-built station like a Golan than it would to try and turn a light multi-purpose civilian station into a battle platform.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump w/r/t what I wrote here, re the Assault Frigate and the Carrack. Here's my tweaked write-ups for both ships:
    Assault Frigate

Alliance techs are famous for re-fitting and customizing combat starships, and there is no better example of their skill and innovation than the Rebel Assault Frigate. Although it is difficult to tell, the Assault Frigate is actually a highly modified Imperial Dreadnaught Heavy Cruiser.

To economize fuel consumption and increase engine capacity, the techs stripped off huge portions of the superstructure. They also added two massive aetheric rudder fins to increase the ship's maneuverability.

In addition, huge portions of the ship have been retooled to replace human crew with automation. The original Imperial Dreadnaught required a crew of 16,000 in order to operate, far more than any other war vessel of comparable size. This is simply not practical for the Alliance, which has a much smaller manpower pool to draw from than does the Imperial Navy, and an even smaller pool of trained crew. Once the Alliance techs were through with the ship, it required a little less than one third the original complement to operate. The reduced superstructure and crew requirements allowed for additional power to be diverted to the weapon systems, providing for the addition of a powerful forward-firing battery of Assault Turbolaser Cannon which, while slow-firing and short-ranged, pack a massive punch, allowing the Assault Frigate to threaten much larger vessels, especially when operating in groups.

Another advantageous side-effect to the reduced crew size is the expanded small craft transport capacity, with enough internal capacity for two full squadrons of starfighters, as well as an array of support craft and combat shuttles for the Assault Frigate's small detachment of onboard troops.

Because of the exhaustive and expensive refit, there are very few Assault Frigates currently employed by the Alliance. Those that are in service are extremely effective, however, and as time permits, more will be added.

Carrack-Class Light Cruiser

Damorian Manufacturing Corporation's Carrack-Class Light Cruiser is the mainstay of the Imperial Navy's Pursuit formations. The vessel's heavy turbolaser cannon allow the Carrack to engage larger opponents with a reasonable chance of success. Backing up the heavy guns are a number of smaller laser and blaster cannon for point defense against starfighters and missiles. A small number of tractor beams round out its armament, allowing for the capture of intact enemy starships.

Imperial Navy Pursuit ships have one of the more dangerous missions in the fleet. Equipped with improved hyperspace signal interceptors that can detect the flux shift of nearby craft jumping to hyperspace (which in turn allows the calculation of an escaping ship's hyperspace trajectory), a pursuit ship's mission is to maintain sensor contact with a retreating enemy until it jumps to hyperspace. This requires the ship to spend extended periods within gunnery range of enemy warships, which are often much more powerful than their pursuers.

To that end, the Carrack has been intentionally designed as one of the toughest starships in its size class. Layered bulkheads and compartmentalization, combined with a unique modular life support system, assures maximum crew survival in case of hull breachings. On numerous occasions, Imperial salvage craft have retrieved Carrack debris and found live crew members on board. These bulkheads lend strength to the hull, allowing Carracks to survive attacks that would destroy any other similarly sized vessel. Unlike most contemporary warships, the Carrack's command bridge and other vital systems are deep inside the hull, behind multiple layers of armor and the protection of the honeycombed compartmentalization network.

Compartmentalization does have one major drawback, though. Such a defense system takes up an inordinate amount of space. As a result, the Carrack-Class is one of the largest light cruisers not equipped with internal hangar bays. Instead, each Carrack carries four TIE fighters (usually /rc Recon variants) on a ventral external rack, as well as a handful of external docking fixtures that allow the transport of larger craft. Three large docks are sized for larger craft, such as assault shuttles or medium freighters (most Carracks have one assault shuttle permanently assigned), while six small docks are sized for starfighters or light shuttle / utility craft.

To compensate for their lack of integrated starfighter support, Carracks are equipped with powerful engines, making them among the fastest of the Empire's capital ships.

I'm also strongly considering cutting the Nebulon B's official starfighter capacity from two squadrons down to one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: