The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Auxiliary Power House Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Auxiliary Power House Rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary Power House Rule Reply with quote

So, it's been a long while since I originally posted my Power Transfer house rule, and it is badly in need of an update. On top of that, my newly posted stats for the Missile Boat make pretty heavy use of the rules, and I intend to incorporate augmented power systems into the future stats for Space Stations. As such, I decided to codify and post my own version, incorporating some of the suggestions I made in Whill's Power Transfer rules.
    All ships have 1D of Auxiliary Power which may be applied to any system at the pilot's discretion. Some ships may have additional power available, but no single ship system can safely handle more than 1D of Auxiliary Power at a time.

All ships are assumed to have 1D of Auxiliary Power. Any other value will be noted in the stats.

To use Auxiliary Power, the pilot / captain must declare which system will be receiving auxiliary power at the beginning of the round. This is treated as a Free Action, and is considered to be part of the operator's Piloting skill roll.

Auxiliary Power is an essential part of making a Full Dodge or moving at All-Out. When either action is declared at the beginning of the round, it is assumed that the pilot switched Auxiliary Power to either the engines or the lateral controls as part of their skill roll.

If a ship has more than 1D in Auxiliary Power, the pilot may attempt to route more than 1D into a given system, but this is hazardous, and can result in damage. Normally, built-in safeguards prevent this, but on an Easy Piloting roll, the pilot can override the safeguards and "Lock In" the auxiliary power. However, every additional D above the standard 1D counts as a Wild Die. On a 1 result, the both the Auxiliary Power System and whatever system it is powering are Damaged. Initially, this is just a Controls Ionized result, but all 1's are re-rolled, with the results applied on the following table:
      1 = Increase Damage Level one step.
      2-5 = Apply current Damage Level.
      6 = Decrease Damage Level one step.

Using Auxiliary Power increased the ship's Sensor Signature, adding a bonus of +1D to Sensors for other vessels when detecting or identifying it.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Power House Rule Reply with quote

For aux power, that works.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Rereading this preparatory to codifying my own version of Power Transfer rules, and I stumbled across this concept. I really do like both versions, but in the interests of allowing the Aiding / Assisting player to really get the feeling of contributing, they really should be allowed to roll their own skill to generate a bonus. Rolling the dice is an essential part of tabletop gameplay, and a player being relegated to "I help" without even getting to roll their skill dice isn't really contributing. Maybe have the skill roll generate a bonus of +1 for every 3 points of success?

Are your power transfer (system to system) rules still coming? Is that rule going to have dice rolling?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Power House Rule Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Are your power transfer (system to system) rules still coming? Is that rule going to have dice rolling?

No, I'm not going to do Power Transfer, just Auxiliary Power. If I feel the need to introduce it to a game, I'll most likely just use your version.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, which ships should have more than 1D of Auxiliary Power? At the moment, I’m thinking of giving the Millennium Falcon and Slave One, but that’s it. Any suggestions?

Also worth noting that Auxiliary Power would also apply to vehicles (see Veers in ESB: “Target, maximum firepower.”), especially since the house rule has transferring auxiliary power to the drives or lateral controls as an essential part of Moving All-Out or making a Full Dodge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: