The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Autofire and Supression
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Autofire and Supression
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Autofire and Supression Reply with quote

A little house rule I made on Repeating Blasters and Autofire and I suppose it can be applied to starships
and turbolasters as well.

You can attack one target with a full burst at -1D to you attack skill
applied BEFORE any other penalties, but the damage is increased by +2D

<Guntor Shoots his Light Repeater skill -1D with 6D+2 for a total of 5D+2
His attack hits the pirate and he deals +2D damage for a total of 8D>
This reperesent being hit by a burst

You can attack multiple targets (minimum 2) with a full burst by reducing the skill
by -1D, Damage however is not increased and no more than 5 targets can be damaged
The targets must be within same square and damage is reduced by -1D pr target above 2

<Guntor Shoots his Light Repeater skill -1D with 6D+2 for a total of 5D+2
His Burst attack hits three and he deals 6D damage to the two closest pirates
and the last pirate takes -1D damage for 5D
This reperesent a small group being hit and strafed by a burst

Supression Fire is another alternative to control the battlefield and to possibly hit several
targets.

Suppression fire is done at the repeater's highest rate of fire, but accuracy suffers greatly.
A Soldier can use supression fire much like shooting at multiple targets, however the gunner
fires at -3D but suffers no MAP for upto 5 attacks
Hits do not injure targets but force them to go prone,take cover, or slow the movement by 5
And LOOSE the action for the duration and area of supression
Du to not aiming hits are determiend by the number of 5s and 6s in the dice pool and the damage
dealt is reduced by 1D pr target hit.

Any other charater shooting at a Suppressed unit gains a +1D to his attack

<Guntor Shoots his Light Repeater skill -3D with 6D+2 for a total of 3D+2
His Supression attack hits and he forces the stomtrooper squad to take cover, go prone
loose action or movement by 5
and the last pirate takes -1D damage for 5D
This reperesent a group being Supressed

The Enemy Commander can roll a command roll at -1D each round to get his troops out of supression
Sucess allows the squad to move ahead with their actions but at a -1D

All penalties applied BEFORE M.A.P
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I have Autofire is that it automatically deals half (rounding up) damage before the attack roll.

E.x. A heavy repeating blaster deals 6D damage/shot, however, because it's a repeater, it automatically deals 3D damage to the target. That way the damage keeps flowing and PC's are encouraged to not try to face tank it.

As for suppression -1D damage/target suppressed and any dodges become full-round actions. While suppression is unlikely to kill the PC's, but really annoying. Autofire damage isn't reduced, only normal damage is.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of makes sense in terms of suppression fire. It's supposed... well... keep the enemy from doing a thing.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go a different route for suppressive fire. With a regular blaster with no restricted rate of fire, I'll let my players fire three shots quickly without aiming at 1D as suppressive fire. So they roll three wild dice. If any of them roll high enough then that blast hits for the full amount. They usually don't hit. My NPCs usually dodge, duck, dip, dive, or dodge toward cover, which is the desired outcome anyway.

Keep track of your ammo.

Automatic fire requires more time spent on aiming, as you're holding the weapon on target as long as you have the trigger down. Every second you spend shooting adds +1D to your damage roll. A round is five seconds, so if you want to do something else in the round, like dodge, you can't use the whole five seconds to shoot. If you don't get back behind cover by the end of your turn, you are open to counter attacks by your enemies.

I don't know if that helps, but it works for me.

Keep track of your ammo.

Also, keep track of your ammo. I run blaster packs as both the gas needed for the plasma and the battery that powers the shot. It's not just a matter of tossing the blaster pack in the charger, you need blaster gas to recharge a pack. Not a big deal in game, mostly my players just buy new packs from a blaster shop, it's easier, but its one of those little details that adds verisimilitude.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like complex rules that slow the game down, but I get where you're coming from. As for tracking ammo, it depends. The only things I normally track are torpedoes, rockets, missiles, grenades, and other consumables. Blaster ammo is tracked on a case by case basis.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as compulsive about it as, say, Gary Gygax, but I do like to put some pressure on my players to keep a sense of urgency in the game.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played d20 systems, it's actually rather rare to run out of ammo. Usually you run out HP or spells first. However, if you have more than 9+ combat encounters, then ammo can get pretty low. However that same encounter pace also drains other resources, and ammo's rather easy to replace, unless you're in a survival-esque scenario, in which case ammo depletion is an issue.

In most SW campaigns, I don't see ammo being an issue, and wouldn't make it such (unless you wind up stranded/marooned/forgotten/late to your girlfriend's wedding, etc). The exceptions are campaigns like the Darkstryder, hardcore military campaigns, or when a PC uses a slugthrower. Of course, if the PCs decide to use their ammo packs as bombs...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I run things, in Huttspace and out on the rim ammo packs are cheap and easy to find. The closer you get to the core the harder it is to find shops that carry blaster supplies, and the more licenses you need.

And yes, I've had a player or two who liked to use ammo packs as improvised grenades.

Normally my campaigns start out with plentiful credits and equipment and as the game goes on and they get more notorious then it gets harder for them to resupply.

The Empire is everywhere.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
The way I run things, in Huttspace and out on the rim ammo packs are cheap and easy to find. The closer you get to the core the harder it is to find shops that carry blaster supplies, and the more licenses you need.

And yes, I've had a player or two who liked to use ammo packs as improvised grenades.

Normally my campaigns start out with plentiful credits and equipment and as the game goes on and they get more notorious then it gets harder for them to resupply.

The Empire is everywhere.

That's actually a good way to incentivize resource management. It's also a good way to tie in factions and politics without ramming them down the player's throats. I'll definitely have to consider incorporating that into my campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: