The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REUP set for. REfresh in 2024
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> REUP set for. REfresh in 2024 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: REUP set for. REfresh in 2024 Reply with quote

Long time no chat RP. Certainly don’t want to sensationalize anything… but rumor on the HoloNet is that the REUP team has pulled together the resources to refresh the REUP project and bring another printable/digital version.

Over the decade (it’s been that long since they started)… skills and profile change with software has increased. And the desire to make a “closer to the original 2nd R&E” version has been expressed…

COMPNOR sources say the outline is done and much of the copy is edited. They layout style hasn’t been finalized… but indeed it is rumored to be expanded.

Not so much like the last version… capturing every element over dozen(s?) of movies and shows is the task of the community with special interests.

Rather this version seeks to immortalize the best of WEG 2e SW material into one (possible 3) volume(s). It’s set firmly in the rebellion era and Legends New Republic.

Love it or hate it, it was an apex in SW history and WEG deserves its accolades for starting the EU,no matter how bad Th Crystal Star novel might have been.

I’ll attempt to update as my sources provide intel. Can’t say it’s FOR SURE coming. But a lot of work has been put into cleaning up the text, working on layout, and outlining what material from the massive WEG library will be included.

May the Force be With You… Always
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! oh my!!!!! Very Happy

Great news! Cannot wait to hear more about this!

Thanks everyone for your effort!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. That is exciting news.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very exciting and wonderful news.

As someone undergoing a similar project - I understand the mammoth resources and diligence in such an undertaking. My respect and encouragement to the entire team.

I do have one suggestion/ request (yes, I know...but wait for it...).

One of the great positives of reup is it incorporates material from many sources into one book.

One of the drawbacks of reup is it incorporates material from many sources into one book.

This includes content from many far flung official weg sources - and is incredibly valuable having all in one place.

It also includes content from later weg editions, which many would consider the spiritual successor to the 2.5 system.

It also included other content - as made by fans - to represent stats or materials from later star wars universe content (prequels, etc.).

I would request that content that is NOT from the original 2.5 book - be identified as such.

It could just be simple footnote (or superscript codes) or whatever.

Oh look - these rules on martial arts - it has a SW2.5 code - that is from another d6 2.5 book.

Oh look, these rules on background options - it has a d6 code - it is from a later version of d6.

Oh look, these stats on battle droids - has a FC code for fan community.

this would help - folks who are wanting ot understand the source material for our beloved game - especially when people are comparing rules and not understanding that they all have the same source relationships.

Again, I am not complaining about this compilation or the hard work going into it - I am just asking about LIMITED sourcing information.

thank you again for all your efforts.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
This is very exciting and wonderful news.

As someone undergoing a similar project - I understand the mammoth resources and diligence in such an undertaking. My respect and encouragement to the entire team.

I do have one suggestion/ request (yes, I know...but wait for it...).

One of the great positives of reup is it incorporates material from many sources into one book.

One of the drawbacks of reup is it incorporates material from many sources into one book.

This includes content from many far flung official weg sources - and is incredibly valuable having all in one place.

It also includes content from later weg editions, which many would consider the spiritual successor to the 2.5 system.

It also included other content - as made by fans - to represent stats or materials from later star wars universe content (prequels, etc.).

I would request that content that is NOT from the original 2.5 book - be identified as such.

It could just be simple footnote (or superscript codes) or whatever.

Oh look - these rules on martial arts - it has a SW2.5 code - that is from another d6 2.5 book.

Oh look, these rules on background options - it has a d6 code - it is from a later version of d6.

this would help - folks who are wanting ot understand the source material for our beloved game - especially when people are comparing rules and not understanding that they all have the same source relationships.

Again, I am not complaining about this compilation or the hard work going into it - I am just asking about LIMITED sourcing information.

thank you again for all your efforts.

Pakman… we are right with you in that. I’m fact I was just putting the Artillery skill into an optional rule text box. Also being added are suggestions.

I listened to a Bill Smith interview where he regretted splitting space transport and starfighter skills. So that’s an option to combine them into starship piloting a la 1st ed. gunnery skills are going to be treated in the same manner.

The philosophy is start with 2.5…. Layer in key sourcebook material (imperial sb, rebel sb, thrown sb, cracken threat guide etc. (not the whole shebang just the flavor and good bits). Addd items from various equipment books.

We ant it very much to be THE 2.5 core rule system with what imho is the best of weg. The d6 space stuff and expanded rules (witches of dathomir etc.) will be in optional boxes.

We are also looking are the cannon as it was in 96. Missing will be the prequel stuff and beyond. This is not a statement on the direction the SW universe has take in the past 25 years… it was a design decision to keep this project as WEG D6 as possible and to not add house rules or change stuff without noting that iit is indeed a change, the source of the change, and in some cases the designer notes as to why the option is being offered.

Also the foreword is going to be a couple of pages… no one reads it but it is already written and it clearly defines why we when in the more traditional direction. We also left the header Foreward typo in there as it missed editing after two releases. It was a huge facepalm to have that error appear in REUP mark 2… so we are owning it and leaving it in.

Also we are releasing this in 3 main volumes

Players handbook or guide… no title is firm yet… this is all the rules.characters through the force

GM guide. based on Bill smiths epic handbook plus gem characters plus adventures and campaign (planning on tattooing manhunt of course, instant adventure which are amazing, the classic long shot campaign, and one of Schwegs convention games like a-wing down.

Galaxy guide… the history (corporate sector a la rescue at stars end, through either the thrawn stuff, dark empire, or maybe through the corellian trilogy) gear, guns ships etc…. Also a lot of info from imp sb and reb sb, and fringe galaxy guides.

Also desire to make a cheap pod player handout with all the player rules (tan background stuff in 2.5) for new players.

Rest assured the real 2.5 edition is open in front of us for every lline of text… we want this as pure as can be, but also expanded as GMs and players evolve their games and want seeds for ideas.

This is no 3rd edition…. It’s closer to 2.5
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest slightly tweaking the EU year threshold to 1998, so it would encompass all of the WEG SW era.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

Red/Green/Blue color-coding would make the differences easier/faster to identify. Color all the related text, color the header in an insert box, color the box itself...whatever makes it clear that it's something "non-standard", but not so hard on the eyes that it's difficult to read.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked on so many of the conversion guides, it's a shame to see so much of that stuff go from the new REUP, but even I have to admit, it's a solid decision. I'd thought of printing the REUP, but the size and cost was one thing that stood in the way.

Besides, all the prequel and sequel stuff is out there if PDF form to anyone who wants it. And it's not like any of those were official stats. Years later I see some of them could be problematic if taken at face value without tweaking for your own game. Accurate conversions, yes, but was it at the heart of what WEG D6 was? Not necessarily, no.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Having worked on so many of the conversion guides, it's a shame to see so much of that stuff go from the new REUP, but even I have to admit, it's a solid decision. I'd thought of printing the REUP, but the size and cost was one thing that stood in the way.

Besides, all the prequel and sequel stuff is out there if PDF form to anyone who wants it. And it's not like any of those were official stats. Years later I see some of them could be problematic if taken at face value without tweaking for your own game. Accurate conversions, yes, but was it at the heart of what WEG D6 was? Not necessarily, no.

I imagine it was a tough decision for the REUP guys. Scope was likely needed for the refresh of REUP to prevent the project from falling apart due to analysis paralysis and the shear glut of new material over the past decade. In 2014 it was simpler, 6 films and NJO books... The stats were all there thanks to RP. It wasn't a simple project but so much if the leg work was done by the D6 conversion work and the saga edition splat books.

I think the REUP team liked the NJO books, much of the Bantam era and the original films... And bits of the prequel. They desperately wanted it to be a work that kept D6 alive. And it was (barely) manageable with the canon content of the time.

Now it's so huge and there is so much content one would have to think that zeroing down scope was necessary. Not everyone will like the decision to keep it firmly planted in the Bantam EU... But I have to admit it's true to the WEG era and it is good material. And relying on the community to produce the splat books for everyone's tastes has worked so well. There is amazing material out there... (Still waiting on the Rogue Squadron sourcebook lol).

In fact I heard this project got started with the idea that it be a game based solely on the rogue squadron books 1-4. Apparently the lead designer is a retired fighter pilot and digs that stuff. But it was so niche it felt a waste not to revise REUP.

Also the organization of REUP wasn't great. It was bloated and unfocused in areas. I'm hoping this will be more for ease of use than just a fat SWRPG book on the shelf.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
GM guide. based on Bill smiths epic handbook plus gem characters plus adventures and campaign (planning on tattooing manhunt of course, instant adventure which are amazing, the classic long shot campaign, and one of Schwegs convention games like a-wing down.

Fun little anecdote: it was in prison where I picked up me tattooing manhunt. Laughing
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
klhaviation wrote:

Fun little anecdote: it was in prison where I picked up me tattooing manhunt. Laughing

Yeah I got mine in spring break in Cabo, id send a pic but this is a moderated forum lol... Nice catch.
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Not so much like the last version… capturing every element over dozen(s?) of movies and shows is the task of the community with special interests.

Rather this version seeks to immortalize the best of WEG 2e SW material into one (possible 3) volume(s).

But a lot of work has been put into cleaning up the text, working on layout, and outlining what material from the massive WEG library will be included.

Scope was likely needed for the refresh of REUP to prevent the project from falling apart due to analysis paralysis and the shear glut of new material over the past decade....Now it's so huge and there is so much content one would have to think that zeroing down scope was necessary.

Also the organization of REUP wasn't great. It was bloated and unfocused in areas. I'm hoping this will be more for ease of use than just a fat SWRPG book on the shelf.

Agreed. This version needs to have just enough "backstory" material to explain the game mechanics. The rest is the domain of all the existing WEG books and fan material.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the thoughts if somebody did something almost exactly like R&E, save for a few optional rules and force powers?

Also curious if people still dream about the Gamemasters Handbook? I think this was the best GM guide ever made personally.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, just to have a fresh copy of the rules that could be Lulu'ed or POD'ed somehow would be quite an asset. I see a lot of requests on other boards on how to get the REUP to print.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always thought the rules needed an update and revision, but that opens a whole other can of worms as to exactly which rules, and how.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: