The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shazam/Captain Marvel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Shazam/Captain Marvel Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Fury of the Gods Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Waiting on the library getting it on dvd..

The second Shazam! film was just released on physical home video today. Amazon says my blu-ray will be delivered tomorrow.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my library's list, but i am like 120 or so, of 30 or so copies..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwayne Johnson killed Shazam Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Glad you liked Black Adam. Did you see Shazam! Fury of the Gods? Did you like it? I did like it, but I bet a Shazam movie with Black Adam as the villain could have been better.

I saw it. It was Meh. It wasn't the worst super hero movie I have seen recently, but it was very disappointing. There were some nice visuals here and there, there were almost some nice fights (too short, too predictable, or just not choreographed well enough). There was a lot I disliked, disagreed with, or found off putting. There was a lot of immaturity to the overall acting and writing IMHO...and as with the first Shazam! I really did not like that the character of Billy Batson seemed to act and behave more mature than the Character of Captain Marvel when he is imbued with "the Wisdom of Soloman". I can't say more without spoilers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems his little sister/bigger sister showed more "Wisdom" than he does..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Shazam Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It seems his little sister/bigger sister showed more "Wisdom" than he does..

The first film addressed this. Remember the sequence where they did all these tests to figure out Billy's powers? He didn't just immediately know how to fly and everything. He had to figure it them out as he went. Becoming a Shazam hero only gave him access to these abilities. Superhero Billy had access to the wisdom of Solomon, but that didn't mean that he immediately did access it. However he did access it eventually; wisdom was actually the power he used to defeat Savanah in the climax of the film. Maybe the wisdom is the hardest power for someone with the mind of a child to access because wisdom comes from experience.

The other Shazam kids were shown to have access to all the same powers, but they each had their specialties. His older foster sibling Mary was shown to be wiser than Billy in general, which makes sense since she is older; perhaps she can access the wisdom easier. I can also see personality making a difference to how easy it is to access the various powers.

As far as normal superhero Billy seeming less mature than normal Billy, I don't see it as a maturity thing. Does he act different in each form? There is a nuance to it. I'm a middle age man and I guarantee I would act different if I became a superhero, and in some ways I would seem less mature. I imagine that would be amplified for a child.

The other thing to consider is, the mythos of Captain Marvel has evolved over the years. In the Golden and Bronze Ages, Billy and Captain Marvel were two completely different characters that shared memories and just took turns existing. In the 80s they started moving towards the idea that superhero Billy is normal Billy transformed into magical body with access to powers that are not permanently his. I've encountered a lot of people confused about and disgruntled over the change which began decades ago. I've also encountered a lot of people who love it. Personally, I find a kid with abandonment trauma who sometimes has a magical super body a lot more interesting.

garhkal wrote:
It's on my library's list, but i am like 120 or so, of 30 or so copies..

You see it yet?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup/ Not as good as the first.. Loved the dragon.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: