The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney to restore Sebastian Shaw as Force Ghost in RotJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney to restore Sebastian Shaw as Force Ghost in RotJ Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
(hopefully we'll all like the future movies, and someday we'll all be able to say we like 90% of the Episodes!)

That is definitely my most fervent hope!

I think you are quite right about the fan spectrum- including the difference between the 'fan' spectrum and the 'general moviegoer' spectrum. It can be hard to remember that our fandom communities are just small cross-sections (same with Star Trek; if I went by fandom circles, then it would appear that no one on Earth liked Into Darkness... and yet it grossed well and was considered a critical success, generally.) It's an important- and sometimes difficult- perspective to keep.

(Is there a weird little side-trail to the spectrum for those fans- like me- who actually really really like the Ewok movies, and- in it's own mock-able way- the Holiday Special? I bet that skews the numbers... Wink )

Hard core OT, all the way!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I still watch the Caravan of Courage with my kids. I do periodically enjoy putting in E.II, and I admit that I even like the parts of Star Wars that are pretty bad. Just because I enjoy something doesn't stop me from making fun of it. Heh... not too long ago when they invited me on to Shooting Womprats, I was caught off guard by the hosts asking me was for my pick for the Movie of the Week (where we talk about how a non-Star Wars movie plot or elements can be adapted into a Star Wars adventure). I said that my non-Star Wars movie for the week would be AotC. Though, honestly, if I put a movie on for background noise while I'm grading, it's either AotC or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Do I think they're the best movies? No. Do I like them? Yes. Does my liking them stop me from making fun of them? Never. Of course, I'm the kind of guy who even sees humor in his own misery when put to it. So, take that in its own context.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Ewok movies so much that when a friend (with smaller children than mine) borrowed my DVDs, I told him not to worry about returning them, as I didn't want them back. Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I like the Ewok movies so much that when a friend (with smaller children than mine) borrowed my DVDs, I told him not to worry about returning them, as I didn't want them back. Laughing

They are pretty bad. My son didn't even care for the live action Ewok movies that much. But he loves the cartoon Ewoks and Droids DVDs we have. He also loves the Lego Star Wars, but some of them have Episode spoilers.

cheshire wrote:
Though, honestly, if I put a movie on for background noise while I'm grading, it's either AotC or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Do I think they're the best movies? No. Do I like them? Yes. Does my liking them stop me from making fun of them? Never. Of course, I'm the kind of guy who even sees humor in his own misery when put to it. So, take that in its own context.

I didn't mean to appear to be bashing AotC in any way. Yeah, it is my least favorite SW episode of the six. The other five Star Wars episodes are my top five favorite films of all, so AotC is the only Star Wars film that I like some non-SW films more than. But AotC is still probably in my top 20 or 25 fave films. There are quite a lot of things to love about it. There is no way I could put AotC on for background - I would just be too distracted and watch it.

The first three Indiana Jones films are three of my favorite films I like more than AotC. (I do even like the 4th IJ film, though not as much as the classics).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know you better than to think you're EII bashing.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading some of this thread, I am disappointed that - now post EVII-EIX - my dream of SW fans for the most part being pleased with 90% of the three trilogies is something that will not happen. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: