The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wormhole / Warp-Gate Technology & Application
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Wormhole / Warp-Gate Technology & Application
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Wormhole / Warp-Gate Technology & Application Reply with quote

During the recent discussion of Teleporters in the Terminator Crossover topic, I noticed that I had never really clarified exactly how I see teleportation / wormhole technology existing alongside hyperdrive technology. Broadly speaking, I see it in four parts:
    -The most well known to the galaxy in general is a small number (somewhere between one and two dozen) naturally occurring wormholes scattered across the galaxy. While they can't be used for travel all on their own, specially tuned comm systems can send and receive signals through the wormhole (which is how they were first discovered). Using a wormhole for interstellar travel requires the installation of a pair of linked jump gate mechanisms (ala the Babylon 5 jumpgates) that function in tandem to push ships through the wormhole to the other side. This functions even if the subject vessel doesn't have a hyperdrive, but only allows for travel to the other end of the wormhole. These function as the space equivalent of things like the Panama and Suez canals, greatly shortening travel times by allowing ships to instantly cross the intervening space, thus shortening their travel times. Obviously, systems that serve as a wormhole terminus rapidly become very wealthy.

-Much less well known is the experimental teleporter device. Drawing from research into naturally occurring wormholes, the teleporter can project a temporary wormhole across short distances, without the need for a receiving array at the other end. However, the design is far from perfect, and fraught with potential hazards. Thus, it's reserved almost entirely for military or emergency rescue applications.

-Some advanced alien races (particularly the Eldar and Necrons for my WH40K crossover) eschew hyperdrives entirely in favor of wormhole projector drives, allowing them to completely bypass intervening space rather than transitioning to a higher dimension (this adds to their elusiveness, since they can't be interdicted by gravity well projectors).

-Because of their advanced technology levels, said races can also make use of personal teleportation devices (backpack-mounted units indicative of the Warp Spider Aspect Warriors).

-Finally, a galaxy wide warpgate network that is a combination of the Stargate network and the Webway from WH40K. I see the individual gates being less obvious in design than the Stargate gates, primarily detectable and capable of being activated by a Force user. The main users of this network are the Eldar, although other races have unlocked some of their secrets. This network doesn't just access other planets, but also leads to pocket dimensions (if one knows the proper access codes) that may contain great wonders (the Black Library) or unimaginable terrors (Commorragh). Some of these pocket dimensions may also turn out to be dimensional atolls, and thus also accessible by hyperspace.
Those are my four main concepts, with wormhole / warpgate technology existing almost entirely alongside hyperdrives, but never really capable of replacing it in the broader sense.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only recently found this...

Hypergates existed before hyperdrives in star wars lore...
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hypergate

And of course the infinity gates...
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Infinity_Gate

You can always use that as a version of the other methods listed.

Of if these are too ....odd...for your game, as always every group picks what is in their game...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice links.. I knew of the gree gates, but not the infinity ones..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Of if these are too ....odd...for your game, as always every group picks what is in their game...

I’m aware of both, and they are included in my SWU. However, I’m not sure whether I want to have them as segments of a larger network established by the Celestials, or as their own separate networks. Of the two, the Infinity Gates have more similarities to my concept, IMO.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not being home at the moment I can't give a link, but I belive in the force Companion that is being worked on there, do have a "warp space" type teleport power.
The description of the power is basically "folding space" whci is in the "wormhole" realm.

maybe that is something to look at for any suggested function of the wormholes.

As to the infinty gates and hypergates, I see these as an advancement in "worm hole " technology, where the latter is a more controllable version, with the new hyperdrive technology is basically a controllable "wormhole"

but the main point I wanted to make was about the forcepower in the compendium, and the way the "teleportation" more or less described folding space and I figured it could be used for any possibel mechanics of "wormholes"
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on Wookiepedia, it doe snot give much information, but some I think can be deducted from it.
it is a controllable Wormhole...and exixting thechnology.
nothing as I see to indicate any game stats

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hyperspace_warping_device
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: