The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Danger Sense - Force Power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Danger Sense - Force Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Danger Sense - Force Power Reply with quote

Does the text of this power mean that the Jedi will know exactly who is planning to attack him or her - or does it just mean they know there is danger and can't be suprised?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the text and the many threads we've had On danger sense, it tells you "you are getting shot at", or "there's gonna be a trap under your feet"..
BUT based on the many threads we've had about making it BETTER, some HR it, that the higher you roll (or should we say the DM does, since DS is supposed to be a roll you don't know if it worked or not iirc), the better info you get.

Such as, a imp scout team is around the corner, split into 3 pairings. One is planning to toss grenades once they detect the rebels coming in, one is ready to snipe, and the 3rd is planning to activate a floor mounted repulsor trap.

BTB, if a jedi has DS ACTIVE, and the DM rolls successfully, the round BEFORE the imp scout team, gets to do anything, his DS will 'ping', alerting him that he will have danger next round, and will need to make 2 dodge rolls.

Where as if we say had that above mentioned HR..
DS roll equals or beats diff by 4 or less. He get's warning danger will hit next round.
DS beats by 5 to 9, he get's that there is going to be 3 separate sources of danger.
DS beats by 10 to 15, he understands 2 are active attacks, one's a Passive trap.
Ds beats by 16 or more, he understands 2 pairs of troopers are going to shoot at him/toss grenades...

And so on..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What garhkal said....and...

Think of it as "I am in danger", like quigon and obiwan in EP1 when they are in the waiting room on the trade federation ship, and suddenly stand up and ignite their lightsabers.

The attack that came - was poison gas - clearly not something a lightsaber works against....but they did not know what exactly the danger was - only that a threat was coming....

Now, obviously, the creators of our beloved and much house ruled 30 year old game did not have that scene - but I think it matches what is implied in the rules perfectly - at least from a certain point of view....
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood this in a very similar way as what Gharkal says here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more points…

The second assassination attempt in AotC (in Amidala’s apartment) indicates that Danger Sense can be used on others, both in proximity and relationship.

The Order 66 scenes in RotS suggest that the Difficulty of Danger Sense increases if the Jedi is in a complicated threat environment, with multiple simultaneous attacks coming from different directions. Add to that the sheer shock of threats from a previously trusted source, and the failure of Danger Sense by almost every Jedi makes more sense (notice it still appeared to work for Yoda on Kashyyyk, even in the midst of a battle, as well as feeling the deaths of dozens or even hundreds of other Jedi across the galaxy).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Yoda felt OTHER jedi masters dying, that's why His danger sense activated?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood Danger sense to be sensing, not identifying the scourse, of near and immiafte danger.

I am a jedi and I am sneaking throygh caves the dark path to the right doe snot feel right, as I pass it I feel this chill that I know being an ondicator of danger and making me keep my ready.

Now as to being on the attlefied and dangersens not really working, I can easily see this as basically overloading with dangers.

You are in the mods of danger in the battlefied, any danger sense roll is not needed, if you need that rool the jedi is not capable of understand that battlefied is danger.....jedi is lost,

now in those instance maybe combat sense or maybe some tweaks to the danger sense power would work. but to me is a directional and triggered "6th sense" not ust one laying dormant
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you understood wrong, because the definition of the power Danger Sense states that the power user is aware of attacks before they happen. At best, what you’re describing would be a GM narrative for a PC who just barely failed the roll to bring the power up.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps Yoda felt OTHER jedi masters dying, that's why His danger sense activated?

The closest thing seen on-screen to Yoda’s reaction is Oni-wan in ANH when Alderaan was destroyed. That’s more like a sudden, overwhelming distraction than something that would automatically bring up Danger Sense.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't read too much into mapping powers to events in the movies - creative interpretation and all that - at least I don't (this way leads madness...).

The force powers in d6 are a bit...meandering, and as mentioned don't always match later content either...

For many of these instances I turned to house rules - as honestly, it felt easier than the mental gymnastics of trying to match on screen with rules....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But rewriting the Force Powers to match what is seen in subsequent films is a House Rule…

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
But rewriting the Force Powers to match what is seen in subsequent films is a House Rule…

I guess so - I just did not want to stray from official rules here ... but I can weigh in a bit on my thoughts on interpreting raw...

garhkal wrote:
The second assassination attempt in AotC (in Amidala’s apartment) indicates that Danger Sense can be used on others, both in proximity and relationship.

While the text does say

"In game terms, if a character plans to attack the Jedi on the next round, she must declare her action the round before."

I think it would be a very reasonable ...extension...to add in that it could be used on others by adding proximity and relationship as modifiers.

In my house rules - I went with adding a new force ability for the scene mentioned in aotc - with anakin saying "I can sense everything going on in that room", but also representing blind jedi being able to see - I called it Force Perception. Basically - it is using Force Sense for perception at very close ranges.... but I diagress.

garhkal wrote:
...and the failure of Danger Sense by almost every Jedi makes more sense (notice it still appeared to work for Yoda on Kashyyyk, even in the midst of a battle, as well as feeling the deaths of dozens or even hundreds of other Jedi across the galaxy).

Honestly, I think it did work for most of them - several reacted - but instead of defense or whatnot - it was more story based shock than them taking a reaction to potentially save themselves. I would ascribe yoda's survival to them being a few steps further away, or you could say he just had a stronger sense of character - or plot armor...etc.

I can say, I also changed Danger Sense in my game, as the whole "declare the round before" felt very convoluted to me as a gm to plan and execute... I changed it to giving a bonus (based on the roll) to detecting ambushes (avoiding surprise) and to initiative checks. It can also give bonuses to other more ...reactionary ...force abilities - but that is a different topic.

But for those wanting to stay closer to RAW (and not spend months re-writing every single force ability - so they work consistently together and grouping them into advanced skill techniques...) I think extending danger sense to proximity and relationship is a very reasonable thing.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's beyond reasonable Yoda may have been keeping danger sense up during the battle. There is a scene where he just narrowly jumped away from a blaster impact in that same battle. If you take this in consideration and couple a sudden sense of danger following that feeling of overwhelming loss of so many Jedi it is not unreasonable for him to have realized what was about to happen.

Those are my thoughts.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I don't think it's beyond reasonable Yoda may have been keeping danger sense up during the battle. There is a scene where he just narrowly jumped away from a blaster impact in that same battle. If you take this in consideration and couple a sudden sense of danger following that feeling of overwhelming loss of so many Jedi it is not unreasonable for him to have realized what was about to happen.

Those are my thoughts.

Now if we actually look to the REUP rules we can explain that with the non force abolity of sixt sense, that is a PASSIVE ability to sense danger.......pg 30

"Sixth Sense (2D). This character
has an innate danger sense. Fifty percent (1-3 on a roll of 1D) of the time
an alarm goes off in her head when
she comes within a few seconds of a
dangerous situation. The gamemaster rolls this check secretly
and alerts the player when it is successful."

FRom the book.

Now I have always ruled the danger sense to be used passive under certain conditions.

The jedi is expecting throubel (we can argue Yoda felt trouble) he then activates danger sense, and pais 1 cp to keep it passive. it acitvates and ENDs when he either sense the danger or gets an encounter and he chan then reactivate the power, pay 1 cp and keep it passive until next danger dtected or encounter.

Duting encounters this is used normally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: