The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pak.

pakman wrote:
Whill.... regarding...

Quote:
If the director didn't know if they will be "allowed" to use Williams filmic musical themes.....

Just to let you know, as someone who has some fringe experience in filmmaking and other experience in productions dealing with various IP and licensed works - this is absolutely believable to me.

I doubt this was a "lets ask a someone for their subjective feeling allow" vs. "we don't know yet from legal if we can use the specific pieces of music for this specific streaming production at this time".

The licensing of works can get quite sticky and complex at times - and depending on arrangements - even timing, or media type - and even believe it or not - the methods a commercial work is charged to the public - can impact how a work can be used. (had one project almost not happen because an work was going to be part of a general admission and not a pre-paid per seat venue - it changed all the paperwork and permissions).

Sometimes due to timelines, legal delays and other issues - this is NOT known before production begins.

Regarding specifics, just for clarification I wasn't referring to them getting permission to track previous recordings into the series. That is not generally the way these Star Wars things are ever done. I was referring to the new shows' orchestra newly recording existing themes into the new show's score, which of course would have to be written by the composer that way.

Regarding the timeline, Obi-Wan Kenobi had been in development for many years. And we are talking about the awesome legalistic powers of Disney, a giant corporation who owns Star Wars. Case in point, as I already referred to, Rogue One and Solo both made extensive use of existing Williams themes (beyond the new theme he wrote for Solo), and they were very successful at it. They even resurrected the ANH Imperial Motif. I read that the production of OBK did even get Williams to watch the entire series without scoring and give his input, but it seems to me like that was done a courtesy and not a legal requirement.

Quote:
Also regarding the director "dictate" - some productions the director has a lot of control - other times, not. (this is why many actors also get into producing, writing and directing - more control). Not every director is the central figure in a production - there are a lot of variables, personality, contracts and egos involved at times.

I have no illusions that Star Wars directors (outside of Abrams and Johnson) have absolute freedom and control. But your premise that the director of OWK didn't have control over the music doesn't stack up for multiple reasons in this case.

It presumes that the director wanted to use more existing Williams themes than they did. If the composer is a reliable witness (and I have no reason to think she wouldn't be), her account states that the director didn't know so advised her to proceed as if they wouldn't have approval. That is not the same thing as the director saying she had made a request but we don't have an answer yet.

Also, it presumes that Disney/Lucasfilm/Kennedy wouldn't want them to use existing Williams themes for some reason, and that simply does not compute for me. Why wouldn't they? Are they so obtuse to not realize that Williams' SW film scores help suspend disbelief and sell the audience on the narrative and emotions of the scenes? All I know is the end result of the OWK scores is unsatisfactory, and I feel they would have been improved with more musical continuity for this inter-trilogy story. If I, Joe Q. Starwarsfan, understands that, how could they not? To put the scoring into visual terms, watching OWK between the two trilogies is like going from high-def vibrant color to fuzzy black and white then back to high-def vibrant color.

If a director is passionate about some aspect of a production, they try to get it done. If the composer's account can be trusted than director obviously didn't feel that strongly about the music because she didn't go to bat for using the Williams themes before the final episode to have a better musical continuity from RotS. Even without absolute control, the director apparently didn't even try and argue the case.

Quote:
Not arguing here - just giving some additional insight as someone with experience in dealing with IP and productions.

I do agree however, with some of the other comments regarding how and when should be used etc.

OK. The RO and Solo films were not scored by Williams but the scores were fantastic. The composers organically incorporated Williams themes along with their own in artful syntheses. I feel that a greater use of Williams themes in OWK may have helped me look past some of the imperfections. But another factor might be that the new main theme that Williams supplied to OWK is not nearly as inspired as the one he provided for Solo, IMO. If it had felt more "Williams" to me, that might help me not feel like something was missing while watching these episodes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, while I agree with Whill on his points, having also previously worked in video and multimedia production Pakman is right about how IP and licenses can be a slippery slope and complicated at best.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I enjoyed OWK, but understand many of the criticisms, too.

One thing that did surprise me, was - after reading through every post of this thread - I didn't see a complaint about the thing that bugged me (by far) the most in the entire series.

The good guys are fleeing from Vader in his Star Destroyer, in a "chase" that made the one in TLJ seem decent by comparison. The chase went on an on, and apparently the Star Destroyer wasn't able to destroy this much smaller ship; it just sort of fired helplessly and ineffectively, while neither gaining nor losing distance from their target.

But that wasn't the worst of it. Obi-Wan would casually mention that he needed to leave, and the other character replied with a half-hearted "no, Obi-Wan, don't leave". Cut to another scene of the Star Destroyer ineffectively firing at the smaller ship (who must have "known a few maneuvers" like drifting lazily to the left).

Then they carried on a conversation about it for what seemed like 10 minutes, with ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF URGENCY AT ALL!!! Finally, Obi-Wan decides to take off, to draw off Vader and allow the other ship to get away.

That scene drove me crazy and was maddening to me, as it was just so poorly executed and completely lacking in dramatic tension. No angst or emotion as Obi-Wan makes a decision to sacrifice himself. No threat from the Star Destroyer chasing them. No real urgency at all as they talked about this big, pivotal decision as if they were discussing what toppings to order on pizza. Rolling Eyes

I did love the bits with Palpatine and Qui-Gon at the end, and overall enjoyed the story and thought the show was well done. Not sure how they could shoehorn in a potential second season (I think forcing Vader to be a part of it could be a big mistake, if they have more direct confrontations with Obi-Wan, as it could stretch believability to do so).
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your review.

DougRed4 wrote:
One thing that did surprise me, was - after reading through every post of this thread - I didn't see a complaint about the thing that bugged me (by far) the most in the entire series.

The good guys are fleeing from Vader in his Star Destroyer, in a "chase" that made the one in TLJ seem decent by comparison. The chase went on an on, and apparently the Star Destroyer wasn't able to destroy this much smaller ship; it just sort of fired helplessly and ineffectively, while neither gaining nor losing distance from their target.

But that wasn't the worst of it. Obi-Wan would casually mention that he needed to leave, and the other character replied with a half-hearted "no, Obi-Wan, don't leave". Cut to another scene of the Star Destroyer ineffectively firing at the smaller ship (who must have "known a few maneuvers" like drifting lazily to the left).

Then they carried on a conversation about it for what seemed like 10 minutes, with ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF URGENCY AT ALL!!! Finally, Obi-Wan decides to take off, to draw off Vader and allow the other ship to get away.

That scene drove me crazy and was maddening to me, as it was just so poorly executed and completely lacking in dramatic tension. No angst or emotion as Obi-Wan makes a decision to sacrifice himself. No threat from the Star Destroyer chasing them. No real urgency at all as they talked about this big, pivotal decision as if they were discussing what toppings to order on pizza. Rolling Eyes

Thror and I did actually touch on that in this thread...

Whill wrote:
In the final episode, that relatively little "Path" ship took a lot of hits while being chased by Vader's star destroyer, long enough for them to have all that dialogue and slow goodbyes before Obi-Wan left it in the shuttle. If that ship was that tough and just as fast as a star destroyer, then why didn't Vader launch any TIEs? That way Vader wouldn't have had to choose between the refugees and Obi-Wan.

Whill wrote:
...Then somehow Vader gets up to his star destroyer super quickly and his star destroyer pursues the escaping ship at the same speed.
ThrorII wrote:
That freighter has Millenium Falcon level plot armor!!!!???!!!

It survived so many hits for so long that it has even superior armor, 42D level plot armor.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this video on Youtube going over some of the jedi that Obi Wan sees in the "vault" at the inquisitor fortress, one of the jedi not mentioned at all however looked to me to actually be Quinlan Vos, Now I know the name was found on the "underground railroad" wall, but the vault does contain a "jedi" seen from enough distance to not show enough detail to be sure, but we can see a dark skinned man with dreadlock like hair, to me very much like Quinlan Vos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UltL-h2nXig&ab_channel=Leia%27sLair%3AAStarWarsChannel

I belive that the jedi on the opposite side of the Ongree jedi mentione is "maybe" Quinlan Vos.
at 2:57 into the video
Any thoughts?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. It is possible that he was captured at some point after he put his name in the underground railroad place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can also just as equally argue others or the opposite even.

there is another that "can" be mace Windu actually, though this one is even more blurry, however I would think that we would see Obi Wan stop and react to "each one" if any of them happened to be there, and he did not. but they can both still be there, and this can make us speculate on purpose, but I can assume use as a "lure" like with lumnara in the rebels, dragging jedi to investigate only to be killed and used as a lure .

but there is another that can be mace Windu actually, but is this lack of any "recognition" to anything but the written names, if seeing the "dead jedi" larer, I am sure there would be a on screen reaction form Obi Wan, but it is till something to consider and sonethign that for both and other jedi can easily fit withing that past decade
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the grips of my Insomnia I have suddenly had an epiphany that has brought clarity to many aspects of Obi-Wan and other elements of Star Wars that have been hotly debated since the Revenge of the Sith. Perhaps it was a force vision, but so much makes perfect sense to me now, and it was all so obvious.

Why would Obi-Wan take Luke to Tattooine and Vader never think to look for him with family?
Why was Obi-Wan walking around Tattooine dressed as a Jedi in A New Hope without a care of being found by Vader?
Why did Obi-Wan not fear being found by Vader on Tattooine himself?

Because Anakin hates sand!
Tattooine being a desert planet is all sand! Therefore it is the safest place in the galaxy to hide from Vader.

It was all so obvious all along.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legends Kenobi novel (kinda meh overall) show's Kenobi's first year on Tatooine. At the end of it, Kenobi is trailing the Lars (with baby Luke) going shopping in a town. Kenobi stops in a nearby bar that has holonews on and he learns that Vader survived Mustafar. His first instinct is to take Luke back from the Lars and go to another planet to hide, but Qui-Gon's ghost speaks to him and advises him not to leave because Tatooine is the safest planet in the galaxy. Qui-Gon says that the trauma Anakin suffered when his mother died in his arms would make his return to Tatooine too painful.

That checked out with the six Lucas films. Vader only went to Tatooine because he was following the Death Star plans, and he never went down to the planet while he was in the system. When the Falcon was captured by Death Star, its markings matched the ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley, and Vader realized Kenobi was on the Death Star; Vader may have even thought Kenobi may have gone to hide on Tatooine specifically because Vader wouldn't go there.

So that, and sand.

Ani

The Canon Obi-Wan show was underwelming and I haven't thought much about it since it ended. Andor is still the best Disney+ Star Wars, by far.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they're saying there won't be a second season of Obi-Wan. I was hoping we would get to see Qui-Gon train Obi-Wan to become a Force ghost like he had. Maybe they'll decide to publish a novel that'll serve as a sequel for the series, and they'll cover this training in that novel.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Well, they're saying there won't be a second season of Obi-Wan.

They are releasing Obi-Wan Kenobi on physical media, and the packaging says, "The Complete Series". So no, there probably won't be a second season.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:
Well, they're saying there won't be a second season of Obi-Wan.

They are releasing Obi-Wan Kenobi on physical media, and the packaging says, "The Complete Series". So no, there probably won't be a second season.

That's why I'm hoping that they'll pick up the slack with novels set after the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: