The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Successful first one-shot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Successful first one-shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KendrikTheRed
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:45 am    Post subject: Successful first one-shot Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts in this forum. Between things I've read here (and the stickies are all great) and prep feedback I got from a starwarsd6 Discord, it went off pretty well! Only had two players due to scheduling issues, but I hope to run a full campaign based on this experience.

SWd6 1e is a hoot. I love the simplicity and speed. We managed to run combat RAW, and I liked it a lot. I can imagine moving to a full turns system being necessary in a larger group, though. Tracking two players and a few Stormtroopers isn't too bad when doing declaration->action and action segments, but it'd be a lot to track in a 5v5 scenario or something. I imagine I would adopt RHoD's side-based initiative+turns for a full campaign and a larger group.

I digress. I'm 35 years late to the party, but it's a fun party!
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Glad to hear it went well.

one note on initiative - I do groups for NPCs.

Say there were three troopers and a significant npc leader.
I would put the three troopers together, and then the leader separate.

Also, I just a simple method with some columns on a piece of notebook paper, to kind of keep a grid of who has gone and where we are.

I would have to read 1e again, but I think it is similar enough to 2.5 that it would work.

anyway, best of luck in your game and have fun!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it went well!

There's a number of things that you can do to make combats run smoother. I've been running this game for years now, and even a few weeks ago I was adjusting and tweaking a combat/initiative sheet for tracking various stuff.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Successful first one-shot Reply with quote

KendrikTheRed wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts in this forum. Between things I've read here (and the stickies are all great) and prep feedback I got from a starwarsd6 Discord, it went off pretty well!
I'm 35 years late to the party, but it's a fun party!

Glad your group had fun!

pakman wrote:
...I would have to read 1e again, but I think it is similar enough to 2.5 that it would work.

Actually, the 1e designer was devoted to an initiative-less combat round, so all actions are ordered into numbered action segments (so all 1st actions of characters occur in the 1st action segment, all 2nd actions of characters occur in the 2nd segment, etc, until all declared actions occur or are prevented). So rounds have a decision segment, and then a declaration segment where all intended actions for the round are declared for all characters in order of lowest to highest Perception. The actions in each segment take place in order from highest roll to lowest roll for each action. So that means some rolls are wasted because actions are prevented from occurring after they were rolled. Yes, it can get very unwieldy with a larger numbers of characters.

I played the original 1e core since before the first revision to the rules, and I played each sub-edition of the game as they each came out. With each release the combat round changed, so R&E is the 5th version. The combat round in R&E is almost completely different from 1e core. The concept of MAPs remain, including reactions increasing MAPs from the point they occur in the round on.

R&E has initiative and no declaration, so actions occur as they are rolled and no rolls are wasted. R&E's combat round is actually much simpler than 1e's. I am convinced that if WEG would have thought of the R&E round for 1e's design, they would have started with it back then. A 1e GM could easily port R&E's combat round and dodge rules into an otherwise 1e game, and it would work better.

Arrow The Round, in all editions
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is do initiative just by Sides (whom ever rolls highest on a per roll), so all imps go and all rebs go..

BY the way, what did your two players wind up making for characters?
KendrikTheRed
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Successful first one-shot Reply with quote

Oh boy. Time for me to re-learn BBCode forum markup! It's been a while. haha

pakman wrote:
Also, I just a simple method with some columns on a piece of notebook paper, to kind of keep a grid of who has gone and where we are.

Definitely think that's the way I'd go if I were to continue with 1e combat. That or do the tabs on a GM screen route.

Whill wrote:
Yes, it can get very unwieldy with a larger numbers of characters.

And that's why, as cool as the concept of initiativeless combat and action segments is, I don't think I'd stick with it if I had a full group of players. My Spelljammer 5e campaign has six regular players at this point. I can't imagine, even with a declaration/segment tracker, that being particularly enjoyed by my players.

Whill wrote:
R&E has initiative and no declaration, so actions occur as they are rolled and no rolls are wasted. R&E's combat round is actually much simpler than 1e's. I am convinced that if WEG would have thought of the R&E round for 1e's design, they would have started with it back then. A 1e GM could easily port R&E's combat round and dodge rules into an otherwise 1e game, and it would work better.

Arrow The Round, in all editions

Thanks for the link to that writeup! I read it before my one-shot so I had backup plans if we hated playing 1e combat RAW. Based on what I read from you there and elsewhere, I think your recommendation of porting R&E's combat into a 1e game is what I'd try next, especially if the player count went up.

I love the simplicity of 1e, so I'm not in a hurry to jump to another edition wholesale just yet, but combat is the one thing I would pillage from elsewhere.

DougRed4 wrote:
I've been running this game for years now, and even a few weeks ago I was adjusting and tweaking a combat/initiative sheet for tracking various stuff.

Good to hear. Coming from running a group that plays D&D 5e pretty close to RAW, I've been learning that continual tweaking of rules to suit the game actually is okay. Rules should serve the game and not the other way around. If delivered rules were perfect for everyone from the start, they wouldn't put out rules revisions, after all. lol

garhkal wrote:
BY the way, what did your two players wind up making for characters?

One played a pirate template. The other played a custom clone trooper that went off the rails. It was fun! Didn't get a lot of character development out of an hour and change, but still fun. I was able to put character details into the way events played out.

Now to get a campaign going! lol
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use for that custom clone trooper template?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: