The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anyone into Star Wars Legion or Armada?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Anyone into Star Wars Legion or Armada?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Anyone into Star Wars Legion or Armada? Reply with quote

As the title says, anyone into these two mini's games?? IF so, which is your faction?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone into Star Wars Legion or Armada? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As the title says, anyone into these two mini's games?? IF so, which is your faction?

I have a bunch of Legion stuff but I wouldn't say I'm into it. I tend to dislike the fundamental consumerist nature of modern games design. The glossy unit cards that keep new kids from thinking about writing their own rules for example. Or the complex nature of the rules: they SEEM simple and streamlined because there's no +/- modifiers. But the truth is they keep them mathematically opaque: if I roll two blue dice and one yellow, and you roll 3 blue dice, which one is better? Whereas anyone can tell that STR 4 is better than STR 3. Manipulating the game special effects become more important than the movement and combat engines themselves, and it makes the games unintuitive. All this is just marketing ploys, and I hate it. I paint the figures because they're Star Wars but I only play the actual game once in a blue moon.

My least favorite thing about Legion is the command cards. We all sit around waiting for commands? This would work great for a game about musket formations wheeling around, where buglers and messengers are desperately trying to communicate orders amid smoky chaos. But it just doesn't work for Star Wars: "If I play THIS command card, all my vehicles will shoot straighter this turn! Because.. the boss told them to shoot straighter? But my infantry will be real slow to respond to threats because... they stand around waiting? I guess?". It's just not evocative of the movies or of anything else. Legion (and almost all modern games) are gaming for computer nerds who love to think about where best to place semicolons in lines of code. I'm not a computer nerd, I'm an art & history nerd.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to play a lot of xwing, but not as much these days (covid kills a LOT of gaming - only got back into star wars in 2022).

Loved the minis and found it to be a very well made system.
(playing wargames for decades).

Like all games over time - xwing has suffered some bloat, but that is a common side effect of modern game marketing.

Really like armada - it is exceptionally clever in its layers of abstractness and simplicity in modeling complex things simply. Very well done.
The ships are really cool too.

Never got into legion or imperial assault - as if I want to move army men around, I either do that in an RPG (star wars or dnd) or in an actual wargame (playing 40k for decades).

My group had merged some xwing concepts into our d20 star wars, and I am working on merging some in d6 (d6 is lacking a LOT in spaceship combat....) still hashing out those rules.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the hell out of Armada when it came out in 2015. I built community, organized game days and tournaments, etc. It was pretty amazing! In order to keep down costs (and other reasons), I played exclusively Empire.

Since I already was in into X-Wing also, I decided to give Legion a pass. It looks pretty amazing, though.

It's a real shame what happened to FFG. I guess Legion is still being actively supported, however. Armada just fell by the wayside. I guess it was just not projected to be profitable any longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: