The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The B-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The B-Wing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it has been a while on this one, but I've come back around to it recently. While I like the B-Wing from an "it looks cool" standpoint, I've had a near-impossible time finding a practical reason for the spinning-cockpit gimmick. The only solution I have been able to come up with involves using the spinning body to turn the entire ship into a flying turret, in essence using the spinning body to act as one of the turret's rotational axes.

In essence, if the B-Wing is moving forward on the X axis, and the body spins around it, if cannon can be mounted that spin on the Y axis, then the two can be combined to hit a target at any angle regardless of the direction of flight path. To achieve the Y axis spin, I borrowed from the A-Wing, in which the laser cannon can angle up to 60 degrees above or below the line of sight (and some of which have been modified to spin 360 degrees). Mounting laser cannon on 360 degree rotating mounts on the B-Wing's S-Foils achieves the Y axis spin mentioned above. It's a little out there, but at the same time, since the B-Wing was designed by Verpines, who have an in-universe reputation for developing and using some slightly out-there tech, it does fit.

The in-game result is that the B-Wing's pilot can concentrate on targets in his forward fire arc with his heavy weaponry while the gunner can defend the ship from attacking starfighters in the other arcs. Also, the mental image of this thing spinning madly in space and shooting out blaster bolts in all directions at incoming fighters satisfies my personal version of the "it looks cool" rule, in that it looks cool and has a practical effect. YMMV. Enjoy.

Craft: Slayn & Korpil B-wing/E Assault Fighter
Affiliation: Rebel Alliance
Era: Rebellion
Type: Heavy Assault Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16.9 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: B-wing
Crew: 1 + 1 gunner
Crew Skill:
Starfighter Piloting 4D+1
Starship Gunnery 4D+2
Starship Shields 3D
Cargo Capacity: 50 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 250,000 (new)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Nav Computer: Yes (limited to 2 jumps)
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 30/0D
Scan: 65/1D
Search: 80/2D
Focus: 4/3D+2
Weapons:
1 Dual Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 8D
1 Heavy Ion Cannon
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-3/7/36
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/700m/3.6km
Damage: 7D (ionization)
2 Medium Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1 (gunner)
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
1 Dual Blaster Cannon
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
Damage: 3D+2
2 Proton Torpedo Launchers (Fire-Linked)
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50m-100m/300m/700m
Damage: 9D
Ammo: 20 (one magazine feeds both launchers)

Notes:
-The high Fire Control rating of the Medium Laser Cannon is dependent on the unique full-body turret design that is only operational when the ship's S-Foils are extended. The cannon can still be fired with the S-Foils in Cruise mode, but Fire Control is reduced to 1D (Fire Arc: Front). If the ship's gyro-system fails, the full-body turret is rendered useless.
-The B-Wing's gyro-system fails when it suffers heavy damage. In game terms, when the fighter is heavily damaged, the stabilization system fails on a roll of 1-2. All Fire Control codes are reduced by -1D (-4D for the medium lasers, which are locked in place and essentially useless) and Space falls from 6 to 2 (Atmosphere 225; 650kmh). In addition, all Starship Piloting rolls are reduced by -1D, due to the awkward flight characteristics of the B-Wing when the gyro-system is not functioning.

Capsule:
The B-Wing/E is an attempt to address the weaknesses of the original B-Wing model (specifically its vulnerability to other starfighters) while improving its already formidable anti-ship capabilities. The B-Wing/E features even heavier anti-ship cannon, as well as enhanced light weaponry for dealing with enemy starfighters. The battle-tested gyro-stabilization system has been redesigned to be more durable in combat and less likely to succumb to battle damage. The two-man crew's piloting and gunnery duties overlap, and cooperation is a must for operation of the new and improved B-Wing.

The most notable modification is the full-body turret concept. Combining the B-Wing's gyroscopic stabilizer system with the bearing mounted cannon system from the A-Wing allows the medium cannon mounted on the ship's S-Foils to engage targets at any angle, providing a formidable defense against enemy fighters that the original B-Wing lacked. With the full-body turret in use, the ship's pilot is free to concentrate on capital ship targets in his forward arc while the gunner fends off threats.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I basically retired this discussion when I posted my current version of the B-Wing stats in the Revising Official Starship Stats thread. I hadn't intended to bring it back up, but I stumbled across something that, IMO, merits some discussion here before I add it to the main stat.

Now, I am absolutely not a fan of the Rebels version of the B-Wing that turns the ship into a composite laser array minus the dish. However, something that did occur to me was to replace the heavy laser cannon and ion cannon at the end of the main wing with a composite beam laser dish.

I was skimming over the Auxiliary Components page for Star Wars: Squadrons recently and stumbled across a new item: Squadrons added the "Quarrie Composite Ion Beam", where before it only had the standard Composite Beam Weapon.

What I'm thinking of doing is combining the two into a single dish, with alternating laser and ion emitters spaced around the same dish, and the output of the beam being either laser or ion depending on which mode the pilot selects when firing.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For B-Wing fans, here's a short (11 second) video by Howard Day, featuring a pair of B-Wings dive-bombing (proton torpedoing, technically) and strafing what appears to be one of Fractalsponge's Procursator-Class Star Destroyers. This is officially more action than the B-Wings ever got in RotJ. Enjoy.

schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Coming in on this late, but I confess that I didn't care for the B-Wing: for me its only redeeming aspect was its firepower--'the Raid on Fara's Belt' pointing out the craft's lack of maneuverability didn't endear it to me either. While it looks cool, I'd take a Y-Wing instead given the choice.

...To me the rotating cockpit section is simply a Verpine influence (I remember the module Strike Force: Shantipole fondly), since the Verpine make use of such devices regularly (& as much of the most complex & complicated gizmos possible). The only practical side I can see, is that it allows it to fly through areas of varying width & dimension; it could also allow a pilot to train the weapons loadout on one point while in the midst of maneuvering--though this would be more of use if the craft was more agile. Also being able to land on its side would allow landing in the even of landing gear failure. Doubtful if these would justify the high maintenance demands, however. I could also see a bonus for attempts to sabotage such a complex feature.

...The later model B-Wings were an obvious improvement, though I dispute the increase in Hull dice: barring the use of more expensive construction materials, there's no real difference in the dimensions, yet it's being given greater durability than an X_Wing?! In the NJO period it's possible, but with new designs possible I question as to why.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back.

And I pretty much reached the same conclusion over the course of this topic. Even the "flying through areas of varying width and dimension" isn't all that special since plenty of fighters can do the same thing, just turning up on one wing to do it. The only solution I was ever able to come up with was to mount laser cannon on the "crossbar" s-foils, and allow them to rotate 360 degrees. Combined with the body spinning around the cockpit, this allows the laser cannon to engage targets at any angle, regardless of the line of travel of the ship itself. This, in turn, allows the pilot to focus on a target with his heavy guns and ordnance launchers while the gunner spins the ship around the cockpit bringing the laser cannon to bear against attacking enemy fighters.

And yeah, mounting a defensive laser cannon armament could've been achieved far more easily with a more conventional ship design, but the B-Wing is what the canon has presented unto us.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your version of the B-wing/E makes sense. The single-pilot B-wing just makes no sense without support craft.

I remember a time two of my players and I played out a 1v1 space battle scenario. I said they could each choose any single-pilot starfighter in the SW Sourcebook. One was highly skilled gunner and decent pilot–he chose the B-wing. The other was a hot shot pilot and decent gunner–he chose the X-wing. The battle didn't last long. The pilot character in the X-wing shredded the B-wing.

I've never been a big fan of the B-wings. Neither B-wing has appeared in my games too often. I've ran Strike Force: Shantipole for a handful of player groups and we always had fun with it, but in the final battle you have to put your best pilot in the B-wing. Plus the B-wing has support from the PC ship. That's the only way it'll work.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of capacitor modules to run the SLAM got my mind going on a few other things, particularly the B-Wing. It always seemed somewhat odd to me that the B-Wing's heavy laser cannon had to be mounted at the end of a long wing spar, but it wasn't something I found so objectionable that I had to come up with a reason or solution for. I've also been looking for ways to enhance / explain the firepower of the heavy laser and ion cannon, to make them more useful for attacking small capital ships.

It occurs to me that the long wing could be used as the housing for a large capacitor system that feeds into the cannon, allowing the pilot/gunner to feed extra power into either or both, depending on the combat necessities at the time. Maybe 2D of Power that can be split between the two (1D to each), or 2D to just one cannon, with the extra 1D causing a small chance of a blowout.

Thoughts?

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on my revision of starship combat for my game - and coming to the conclusion I may have to re-write a lot of ships - so this thread (and others like it) are interesting.

I can also understand that as gamers - we always have to balance out our need for "how does this work" in our beloved game of space wizards which clearly used "that looks cool" as a foundation for making choices on what to put on the screen, regardless of any conceivable technological use.

On why the cockpit spins - a practical reason?
- the first thing that came to mind for me was so the pilot does not barf during a full dodge (not sure how to write that as a rule).

Honestly - not sure I would even bother putting something in the rules on it - to me - that is just narrative fluff - a fun part of the story.

If I had to - I would say "Stabilized Cockpit - reduces any penalties due to maneuvers or dodging by one level when using targeting systems". or something like that.

Now - on the big wing capacitor idea - I like it - could add that is provides 1D aux power for WEAPONS only (not engines of shields) - but has to charge up etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
On why the cockpit spins - a practical reason?
- the first thing that came to mind for me was so the pilot does not barf during a full dodge (not sure how to write that as a rule).

Most of the pro / con arguments for the stabilized cockpit have already been made in this thread if you’re looking for more details. It’s questionable whether simply not spinning with the rest of the ship would matter in a setting with inertial compensators and pilots who are constitutionally able to handle the universe spinning around them. If anything, having the ship spin around the cockpit would make things even harder, as the positioning of the ship’s fuselage won’t be in a fixed position relative to the cockpit.

Trust me, there is no good answer.

Quote:
Now - on the big wing capacitor idea - I like it - could add that is provides 1D aux power for WEAPONS only (not engines of shields) - but has to charge up etc.

That’s the plan. My current headcanon gives all ships 1D of Auxiliary Power (with some exceptions) and attempting to route more than 1D into a single system can potentially damage it. Add-on modules like this or the SLAM would have to be hardwired into whatever they draw power from, using much stronger power conduits. Rerouting to other systems isn’t possible without extensive modification.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I came up with a (hopefully) plausible explanation for the strangeness of the B-Wing's armament. The theory goes something like this: On approach the heavy laser is tuned to output an effect like a spectrum laser or low power quarry beam. The purpose for this is to simultaneously "paint'' the target, and allow the B-Wing's sensors to get a good read on the target's shields. Then, the fire control computer modulates ion pulses along the shield which is already lit up in that local area, temporarily weakening it in that small location, adjusting slightly to hit the ideal position and angle by rotating the wing slightly. When the Torpedo from the main magazine gets there, it will impact on weakened shields and hopefully break through, or potentially bypass the shield entirely with some luck.

This absolutely requires the ship to fly a level and direct course while the torpedo is in flight (really just the one round usually), but the rotational aspect of the cocpit allows at least some limited maneuvering. The ship's cone of fire must maintain it's line, but the ship can spin about it, and we all know that spinning is a good trick, right? Functionally, I allowed the maneuverability dice to add to the difficulty of the gunners of the ship in a way similar to cover, but did not allow a normal "dodge" with a ship making that kind of run.

Anyhow, just my two cents for how all those weapons can be combined into a single strike. We really never used the B-wings outside the strike force shantipole adventure, but that's how I answered my players when they brought up the same issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: