The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GR 75 Medium Transport Variants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> GR 75 Medium Transport Variants Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The few times in games i've seen someone do a combat retrofit of sorts, was to add 2-4 tractor beams, and a bunch of missile tubes.

Nice! This mod... I Like it! ANOTHER!!!
I have found the perfect ship for some evil droids! Perfect for smuggling & odd bits of piracy!

I think some done up as system or sector-based search & rescue ships.
Others used as ore-haulers.
I can even see some used by CIS & Separatist Holdouts, & eventually folded into new Rebel groups...
Maybe mod one for STAR TOURS...
Didn't the RAW do stats for the StarSpeeder 1000 or 3000? The pilot droids too?
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Looking at that, it almost makes it look like it could carry an at-at or two..

It certainly has the room, although I can't imagine circumstances where an Alliance-exclusive transport would be hauling one.

Maybe to Capture it.. Swoop down on top of it, mag clamp it, and fly up!
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It certainly has the room, although I can't imagine circumstances where an Alliance-exclusive transport would be hauling one.

Maybe to Capture it.. Swoop down on top of it, mag clamp it, and fly up!

Walker Heist! Sky Walker!! Sky Walker Heist!!!
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't want to chance that unless Alliance ground forces had already captured it. I could see it for a one-off if you needed the AT-AT's main guns for something like a heist or some sort of unconventional assault, but the Alliance doesn't have much use for something like an AT-AT.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while the three images I have access to are far too big to imbed in a post, I can at least include some links:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I love how you repurpose Republic and Separatist ships and vehicles for the Alliance, but something I don't recall you dealing with much is the realism that the Alliance would also repurpose any Imperial tech it could use too. I'm not suggesting the Alliance should have AT-ATs specifically, so this is just a general reply.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I love how you repurpose Republic and Separatist ships and vehicles for the Alliance, but something I don't recall you dealing with much is the realism that the Alliance would also repurpose any Imperial tech it could use too. I'm not suggesting the Alliance should have AT-ATs specifically, so this is just a general reply.

In general, I see Alliance Ground Forces focusing on mobility, with any heavy firepower being mounted on fast, light, tank-destroyer type platforms. They'd also need to be operationally and strategically mobile (as in, able to be quickly loaded and unloaded on their transport ships), unless they have somewhere decent to hide on their objective planet. From that perspective, walkers like the AT-AT fail on almost all counts.

My reasoning is that, at least pre-Endor, the Empire will always be able to - eventually - mass enough firepower to overcome anything the Alliance might be able to field. As a result, their ground operations will take the form of guerilla warfare (obviously), maneuver warfare with fast, mobile vehicles, or lightning raids where heavier vehicles are deployed in close proximity to the objective so that they can be immediately evacuated (or abandoned) if an Imperial reaction force shows up.

I don't at all mind making use of Imperial equipment that fits those criteria, but I just don't see the AT-AT as a good fit for the Alliance's modus operandi.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about using the AT-AT as a bomb? Pick one up, and fly it over the enemy garrison, then drop it! Cool
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How's about using the AT-AT as a bomb? Pick one up, and fly it over the enemy garrison, then drop it! Cool

I mean, if you had literally nothing else available to do the job, sure, but a proton torpedo will be better in every respect.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I mean, if you had literally nothing else available to do the job, sure, but a proton torpedo will be better in every respect.

i 9/10 agree!
my 1/10 dissention is this; Lift said AT-AT to sub-orbital position over the target then let it go. Gravity will accelerate it as it falls, increasing its energy. When it hits, that energy will be released, in a rather formidable explosion.
Same as a proton torpedo, it is not.
Impressive, most impressive, the Boom!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Lift said AT-AT to sub-orbital position over the target then let it go. Gravity will accelerate it as it falls, increasing its energy. When it hits, that energy will be released, in a rather formidable explosion.

But at that point, you're better off poaching an asteroid from somewhere out-system and using that for the attack. It'll pack more mass for equivalent volume (AT-ATs are basically hollow shells for carrying troops, after all), and will have more predictable ballistic characteristics, especially if you're going for the kinds of velocities associated with a meteor strike. That's in addition to the fact that asteroids don't fight back if you try to capture them.

Honestly, the "drop an AT-AT" trick seems best suited for an improvised attack to take out the AT-AT itself, not using it as an improvised weapon. IIRC, the Orks in WH40K use basically the same approach.

EDIT: Or just pack a standard container with high explosives and equip it with a heat shield to protect it during re-entry. In that case, the cargo bay is already equipped with the standard grappling equipment used to handle the containers.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Lift said AT-AT to sub-orbital position over the target then let it go. Gravity will accelerate it as it falls, increasing its energy. When it hits, that energy will be released, in a rather formidable explosion.

But at that point, you're better off poaching an asteroid from somewhere out-system and using that for the attack. It'll pack more mass for equivalent volume (AT-ATs are basically hollow shells for carrying troops, after all), and will have more predictable ballistic characteristics, especially if you're going for the kinds of velocities associated with a meteor strike. That's in addition to the fact that asteroids don't fight back if you try to capture them.

Honestly, the "drop an AT-AT" trick seems best suited for an improvised attack to take out the AT-AT itself, not using it as an improvised weapon. IIRC, the Orks in WH40K use basically the same approach.

EDIT: Or just pack a standard container with high explosives and equip it with a heat shield to protect it during re-entry. In that case, the cargo bay is already equipped with the standard grappling equipment used to handle the containers.

Good points! All of it! No it isn't the best strategy, but as an improvised tactic might be the best option in a menu of bad ideas...
Depends on the situation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Good points! All of it! No it isn't the best strategy, but as an improvised tactic might be the best option in a menu of bad ideas...

Sure, as an improvised tactic, it works for sheer audacity and cinematic effect, especially if the GM has the storytelling chops to pull it off. It sounds exactly like some of the harebrained schemes Han pulls off in the Brian Daley trilogy novels, or some of the other stories about him. It works because it's so unconventional and unexpected that nobody ever considered a counter for it.

But in any other situation, where you have even a modicum of resources and planning, there will certainly be better options.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Sure, as an improvised tactic, it works for sheer audacity and cinematic effect, especially if the GM has the storytelling chops to pull it off. It sounds exactly like some of the harebrained schemes Han pulls off in the Brian Daley trilogy novels, or some of the other stories about him. It works because it's so unconventional and unexpected that nobody ever considered a counter for it.

But in any other situation, where you have even a modicum of resources and planning, there will certainly be better options.

Yes!

In other news, my dad's being an insufferable @$$, so i'm channeling my RAGE into making a tuna boat gunship/mini-dreadnaught, crazy fast @ space 12, Hull 4D, Ablative Armor 5D, Shields 3D, insane firepower.....
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars is a great release from the stressors of life, indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: