The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Str 7D Esoomian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Str 7D Esoomian Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Yes. average physique is 2D, just like every other Attribute.
Strength is a skill under Physique, and yes, it contributes to melee damage etc.

It is almost just like doing a search and replace - replace the Attribute Strength with "Physique" and the skill lifting with the skill "strength".

Copy.

Can it be improved, and at what cost?

pakman wrote:
Now, in my game I also use the common house rule where weapon damage is 1/2 STR skill bonus, but that is a different topic.

Is that for melee/brawl? Or for ranged combat too?

pakman wrote:
But that breaks immersion for me, and is treating a symptom rather than the root cause.

How is it breaking immerson, if NO film examples of the characters, have ever been seen WITH armor, to then say "this race, can't wear it, as a cultural thing"...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

For me - I would rather fix the core issue (IMHO - making the same stat that soaks damage be the stat on how much you can bench press) than a symptom of it.

This is not what the Strength attribute actually represents, and perhaps naming it Strength was an unfortunate choice as it leads to this perception of it. The Strength attribute represents a characters physical build, muscle density, bone density, resistance to injury, overall base stamina, ability to withstand disease and toxins, environmental adaptability, and so much more. This is explained in 2nd Edition R&E on page 58. All of these are the base of a character, which is then modified by Skills. Lifting is what actually determines a characters bench press and carry weight. This is the abstract nature of the D6 Attribute and Skill system.

Quote:
Again, once you have wookies with the same damage resistance attribute (Physique) as other party members - the problem solves itself.

This would then be counter intuitive to what is clearly seen on screen in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi - where there are several scenes where it very clearly looks as if Chewbacca easily soaks blaster hits with no effect. I would also find it much more immersion breaking to give everyone the same damage resistance ability regardless of species or attributes.

Wookies + Armor -
I have seen this argued every which way possible for both pros and cons. I would need to read up on Ensoomians, and Barrabels, but in the case of Wookies, evidence indicates that they do not wea a lot of clothing or protective gear at all - for whatever reason. Is this a matter of pride, a cultural issue, or something else. While there was EU material that had a ceremonial armor made for Wookies, it was described as extremely rare and expensive, and not readily available. While there is no solid reason a Wookie cannot wear armor - how readily available is armor for a Wookie? It would need to be special order, custom made, and expensive. Most Humannoid species are much easier to cater too. IMHO, someone going that far out of their way to armor up a Wookie is trying to be a tank and min max. A gamemaster that allows a Wookie PC to stack 1D or 2D of armor on 5D Strength is asking for the problems that brings. Even so, armor for a Wookie should not be easy to acquire or cheap.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recall which scenes? I do not reme.ber seeing Chewy absorb blaster shot, so would've to check it out myself.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Do you recall which scenes? I do not remeber seeing Chewy absorb blaster shot, so would've to check it out myself.

I do, but they are different in the Special editions and depending which set you have. The Detention Level Breakout and Trash Compactor scene in Star Wars. In Empire it was in the fight in the Carbon Freeze Chamber, which now does not even have the Stormtroopers shooting and is much shorter than in even the CBS video releases from the 80's. In ROTJ it was several scenes on Endor, one in particular involving Chewie exchanging fire with Speeder Bikes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Is this a matter of pride, a cultural issue, or something else. While there was EU material that had a ceremonial armor made for Wookies, it was described as extremely rare and expensive, and not readily available. .

Maybe their ceremonial armor, was just FOR things like wearing for visiting dignataries, or awards/honors..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gharkal asked; Can it be improved, and at what cost?

EXACTLY like any other attribute. 10x the die code etc.

The damage from the Strength Skill, that applies to anything that uses Strength now (primarily melee weapons).

Saying they can't wear armor breaks immersion for me because we are having to make a fictional justification to cover up what I consider a game design oversight.
Calling it rare does not work for me either - as my player would just say "um, I have the armor skill, and take some metal and leather..." or "I pay the armorer to make me some armor".
Again, searching for thematic justifications for mechanics issues.

Likewise, a minor narrative edit takes care of the "honor" on the claws -"the structure of their hands is especially adept at gripping bark and other rough surfaces, giving them advantage in climbing". simple.

Regarding what we may or may not see in the movies....

We can NEVER model exactly what we see in the movies - and have to remember that between cinematic license and plot armor - our hero's regularly do things which cannot be reliably interpreted into game mechanics the vast majority of the time. (I mean - what would the damage resistance be on trooper armor from the movies - adds damage?).

In my game, we did the following;
* Strength is renamed Physique.
* wookies do not automatically get 5D in it.
* There is a skill called Strength under Physique, that any "Strong" race gets a bonus in.
* This strength skill is the basis for melee weapon damage (I use 1/2, same as whil's damage house rules - which is the same as later editions of D6).

For me, this 100% fixes the "wookie problem".
No need to invent anything - simple.
My players like it, and it makes sense to us.

HOWEVER - if other groups want to come up with narrative based reasons for things - knock your socks off. what ever working in YOUR game....works in your game.

may the dice be with you....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post was clearly taken out of context an distorted. I was not saying those species could not wear armor, I was offering difficulties that large and more inhuman sapient might have finding armor off their home world. I also pointed out in the case of wookies, even on their home world they are unlikely to find it based on official sources, materials, and depictions. Another reason Wookies might not wear a lot of armor and protective garments is all the fur. It is not hard to imagine it getting caught in joints, pulling, chafing, and being uncomfortable in general. Given the volume and length of said fur, I do not see how that can be easily resolved in a design capacity for armor. Can't speak to the other alien species mentioned, haven't read up on them or looked into them.

I believe I did mention that they could pay to have it custom made which you also throw out there more casually. Custom making armor requires finding someone with the skill and willingness. Given much of the weapons and armor in Star Wars appear to be mass produced it is not really likely that a PC will walk into a factory and get them to retool the assembly lines. Typically custom made anything can be 100 to 1000 times base costs.

Sure Players with the Armor Repair skill could make it themselves, but this will not only take money, time, and materials, but require spending CP per the rules in various books regarding increasing die codes of equipment (from 0D non existent to whatever they are attempting). If a PC is that determine and has the CP to spend so be it.

From your response pakman I get the impression you not only hand waved off any information in posts that go against your intent, but as a GM I think you likely hand wave away a lot of rules or story elements to make things to simple (as by your post you state just throw down credits or build it themselves which leaves a lot of details and elements out). As you said though, whatever works for YOUR game. You were not the only person I was providing the information or ideas I did for.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ignoring anything - and if I reduce a large amount of text to what I feel is a salient point (i.e. a lot of words being a narrative justification) just giving my perspective. Not trying to be rude - just brief.

(side note: as crafter and person who has metal fabrication and manufacturing experience - there is a difference between re-tooling a factory line to make 1000 sets of armor, and taking an existing set of armor, and modifying it to fit someone taller).

I am already reworking many of the rules in my game - and one of my goals is to treat what I feel are core issues - rather than symptoms - but some of these changes may be too extensive for others - who have different solutions - and if those work for them, that is a great

Not everyone wants a ton of house rules. To each their own.

May the dice be with you.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand both sides of this discussion, and have dealt with a number of Power Gamers and Min/Maxers over the years myself.

My son plays one of our two venerable, experienced characters in the PC party. He's a Barabel and the 'muscle' of the group, and he definitely is a tank. He is outstanding at combat (and is also a weapons dealer, so not just a one-trick pony). His DEX is 4D and his STR is 5D (and also has natural armor that gives +2D against Physical and +1D against Energy).

Early on, we came to understand the "Blaster-Proof Wookiee" problem. So I came up with a house rule that has mitigated this for us greatly. The Dazed condition (which stacks with Stunned). So it becomes quite easy for that big tough character to be neutralized in a fight, especially with numerous other foes (even smaller ones).

Dazed Characters

Characters who are hit in combat, but who succeed on their Strength roll to resist damage, are considered to be dazed. A dazed character suffers a penalty of 1D to skill and attribute rolls until the end of their next action. A character hit multiple times in this fashion can be dazed twice (or more), but they are not “affected” beyond that. Being dazed does not count as being stunned, but it is cumulative with stunned results. It also does not apply to Brawling attacks where the defender’s Strength is double that of the attacker.

I realize not everybody wants house rules. But for me/us this works to keep that high STR character from being a problem. Want to put a couple of extra dice in STR as opposed to things like KNO? Feel free, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to have blaster bolts bouncing off of you like Superman.

Also, I've seen each of the OT movies many, many times (ANH literally dozens). I don't recall ever seeing Chewbacca shrug off a blaster bolt. Perhaps a very specific instance could be spelled out?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY time i've seen him even HIT by a bolt, was in the force awakens..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty late to the thread but I've played a 7D strength Esoomian character for a few years and while he was able to shrug off blaster bolts to a large degree there were always situations that were able to appropriately threaten him.

Surprisingly melee combat was an issue. Parry skills were dex based and there are a fair few melee weapons that are Strength +2D damage or more so that a strength 4/5 character was a challenging opponent.

Space combat was of course always an issue. A high strength doesn't help with explosive decompression at all.

The main thing that kept him in check was that the game master ruled that Esoomians were an illegal/prohibited species and were not permitted to leave their home world. This meant he had to always be in disguise and try not to draw attention to himself. He didn't always succeed but it stopped him from hulking out at every opportunity.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I recently watched The Book of Bobe Fett and the wookie in that must have been hit directly by at least 12 blaster shots and lived. Sure he wasn't blasterproof, but they all just seemed to wounds him - no matter how any hit. I am not sure if this group takes into account the more recent shows are support, however. There were a few things in that particular series that I really did not like (silly teen Cyberpunk gang on matching rainbow speeder Vespas are at the top of that list).
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I recently watched The Book of Bobe Fett and the wookie in that must have been hit directly by at least 12 blaster shots and lived. Sure he wasn't blasterproof, but they all just seemed to wounds him - no matter how any hit. I am not sure if this group takes into account the more recent shows are support, however. There were a few things in that particular series that I really did not like (silly teen Cyberpunk gang on matching rainbow speeder Vespas are at the top of that list).

Plot armor.

That and....

Shows without armor - bad guys just miss.
Shows with characters that have armor - all the shots hit the armor....

There is a battle in the street near the end of one episode - where we see the wookie get hit in his small armor patches multiple times - it was so obvious I started laughing when watching it.

Movies and shows are made to be cool - not base consistent game mechanics off of. (unless you want to design blaster attracting beskar....).
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Movies and shows are made to be cool - not base consistent game mechanics off of. (unless you want to design blaster attracting beskar....).

Well... the entire purpose of the roleplaying game is to simulate the excitement and situations portrayed in the movies, so...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

Yes, we talk about and consider more recent movies and shows here. Personally, I cringed at Krrsantan just taking over a dozen blaster bolts and other attacks but staying conscious and keep fighting. (If those were all wounds, than they were -1 pip wounds and he can take over 4D worth without moving down to incapacitated!) I also cringed when Mando just soaks a barrage of blaster bolts. I know it is a step up from stormtrooper armor, but come on.

Evidence you say? From your history in this thread, it seems to me that you are arguing that these Mandoverse shows support having "Blasterproof Wookiee" PCs in Star Wars D6.

Even if Disney Canon is accepted as your personal canon, Mando and Krrsantan are not PCs. As Pak said, their exploits are scripted. They would only be NPCs in your game, and NPC abilities do not support game balance concerns about PCs. And if you do run a game where players play those characters as PCs, then their exploits are no longer a scripted narrative and the players risk altering the scripted canon.

At best, I see these cases as evidence supporting why PCs should not be allowed to play characters with these abilities. But the Mandoverse is not in my personal canon anyway, so very little in these shows has any influence on my game. Extreme soak certainly doesn't. It is best to not get hit in the first place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: