The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Roleplaying the Independent Class
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Roleplaying the Independent Class
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Roleplaying the Independent Class Reply with quote

So as to avoid hijacking DB 2.0's Campaign Log, I thought I'd start a separate thread covering the broader topic of how to run and play a campaign for the galaxy's upper crust.

For context, here is WEG's brief write-up from pg. 203 of 2R&E:
    The independent class is composed of those with vast wealth and the leisure time to freely travel among the stars. The reasons for their journeys vary — perhaps business, recreation or socializing — but these fortunate beings live on the wealthiest worlds, attend the best parties, know the most important people, and visit the poshest vacation worlds.

The independent class includes nobles and members of the ruling classes, those with rich inheritances, merchants, elite politicians, corporate leaders, talented artisans, and anyone else gifted with both great wealth and high social standing.

During the reign of the Empire, most members of the independent class were either part of the Imperial establishment or said just enough to be allowed to go about their business without much interference. Under the New Republic, many members of the independent class distanced themselves from the new government since it seemed to lack the will and the resources to coerce "proper" behaviors, as the Empire had.

While it may be impractical to allow player characters who are truly part of the independent class — after all, there's not much challenge when characters can buy their way out of any problems — those who strive to be part of the independent class yet lack limitless resources can be a challenge to play.
I think WEG misses the mark slightly here, in that having money doesn't mean you can buy your way out of any problems, unless you are an idle layabout doing nothing of value. Being a member of the upper class (with the means and influence that attend it) simply means that your problems have gotten larger and more sophisticated. Clandestine wars between noble houses, clandestine business deals, and kidnapping attempts for ransom (the characters are rich, after all) are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I think Lords of the Expanse is the closest we get to an official version of this, but the PCs and their gaming opportunities seem peripheral to the true upper crust, with few if any opportunities to break the glass ceiling, and little to no information about what they will experience if they do.

I'd like to hear some of your ideas about how to play at this level. I like DB 2.0's start, an adventure with a lot of hedonism thrown into the mix, but there has to be more to it.

I'm immediately reminded of Dredwulf's Stress & Stress Relief aka Vices topic. There's a lot of options in there for the kinds of trouble a character could get into if they have the resources to indulge in them.

Anyway, just wanted to start the ball rolling...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with Lando Calrissian as an example of an Independant. He certainly was not without his troubles and when he fell out of the Empire's graces, things got a lot more complicated for him...
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the portrayal of mon mothma in andor is another great example - showing while yes, of course - she would have no problems getting mundane supplies (clothing, data pads, speeders, etc.) - she was more focused on bigger issues - like financing ships and bases, or large quantities of fuel etc.

Also, the concept that higher profile people would be watcher more - and the suspense it entails - is another layer.

Finally, once that independent class citizen gets tagged as being affiliated with the rebels - they would lose all access to their known accounts etc.

This could make a fun character to play - one who is lost everything (or nearly so) as they had been supporting other rebel characters (this also ties in a backstory for starting characters). They would still have some contacts, and maybe some adventures would be using those contacts or isolated resources to aid the rebellion.

(side note: if you have not seen andor - one of the really great things about it is how we see the different levels of citizens fighting the empire - from the insurgents to the kingmakers and politicians).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both great examples. I definitely think the GM would have to be willing to run a deep immersion campaign to truly accommodate that sort of character.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...One of the things about such characters is all the baggage that being in such a position entails: innumerable meetings, envious rivals, the clear disconnect with the wealth gap, & the list goes on! Having such in any group is bound to draw undue attention, as well as other difficulties attached, might well make them a liability as opposed to an asset.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last regular game of out Holiday Campaign our parties main ship took Millions of credits worth of damage, because we where on a government job we just expended the repairs and told the yard to contact us when it was done so we could arrange for our people to pick it up when we where done and deadheaded first class births on the next diplomatic transport. my character after crashing his crippled fighter on to the flight deck of the enemy flag ship walked away and set it to Bomb mode, fully expecting a replacement for his quarter million credit fighter to be given to him.

then there is the Healthcare gap, Advanced Medpacks , Healing Stims and access to personal Medical Droids and personal Bacta Tanks. where other characters who get mortally wounded can take months to heal our party can from the time one of our personal service droids applies an advanced med pack till we get decanted from the bacta tank it's a few hours to a couple of days at most.

took us a wile to get what we needed but with a personal armorer droid we now have concealed body armor in the 1D/1D range, 0D+2 personal energy shields, we are now less concerned about our low Str scores. our F legality ranked Sporting Blasters after customization now have the output of R ranked Military blaster pistols.

Even without corruption Money allows our characters to fully enjoy their rights, Money and Political Connections gives us opportunities to enjoy those that others just don't have.

What do we have to do for all this money and freedom? for the most part not let word of out drug fueled orgies get out, make sure out Proxies paper work is up to date a couple of times a year, make nice as society events and eventually marry well. the more indiscreet we are the more errands we have to run on behalf of the family establishment. then there is all the K&R shenanigans and Vendettas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: