The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Str 7D Esoomian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Str 7D Esoomian Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly ninja.. Solo play DOES change the game significantly, as you don't HAVE party members to worry about/try to save..
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up though my thoughts on the 7D Esooman, could he be played in group? Yes. Does he present a challenge to the group? Yes. I see it no more fundamentally different then playing Super heores and you have JLA style group together. (Which I do play and GM).
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a jedi I. A group of non jedi is far more unbalanced. That was what inspired me to run a jedo only group in the times of Tales of the Jedi several thousand years before ANH.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I have found a jedi I. A group of non jedi is far more unbalanced. That was what inspired me to run a jedo only group in the times of Tales of the Jedi several thousand years before ANH.

This is what I've been trying to fix with the Force Attribute and Adding Dice to Force Powers House Rules: simultaneously decrease the rate at which Force users increase their power level, while also allowing them to start several rungs further up. That way, they're more useful as starting characters, but their power creep is curbed, which at least delays the issue of them unbalancing the party.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I independently started a system similar to what I have heard, with the Force skills as attributes and/or Advanced skills, but I left it in the almost finished state. I am not running and force users, but I do hope to use for Force using NPC's as both allies and opponents I. The future. I will try out anything you propose certainly.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

I’ve done the same thing with the TotJ too. 😁 And I am also playing with the Force Attritbute Dice from CRMMcNeil.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE min/maxing in D6. Unlike in D&D, the system balances things out. This comes down to the fundamental differences between D6 and D&D.

I'll give a few examples of crazy characters and then I'll explain the theory. Feel free to skip ahead if you want.

The first extreme character I played was a Barabel in 2D armor, coupled with their 2D/1D+2 natural armor gave me a 8D+2 resistance to blaster fire. 5D STR, 4D DEX, 4D PER, 2D MEC, 2D KNO, 1D TEC. Started with a Dodge of 6D. IF something could hit him he could soak pretty much anything. Ridiculously fun character to play, great at everything in personal combat, lousy in space. With a 4D Perception he was useful in RP environments too. Though I was usually the only non-human in a bigoted Imperial setting.

Played a 6D Dex Meri. 8D Blaster and Dodge at character creation. I don't think I missed a shot the few times I played him. Useless outside of combat except for his medical skills.

5D TEC Verpine, with the 2D bonus. 4D PER. Played him as a starship thief, turned Rebel saboteur. Awful in ground combat, mostly I hid, or found ways to help the team escape. Decent in space combat. Pimped out our team's starship.

I ran a game where Tim played a 6D STR Wookiee with 1D KNO. Tim knows about as much about Star Wars as I do, and is my normal GM. He kept coming up with ideas, elaborate, brilliant ideas and then I'd say, "Roll your tactics." He'd roll, far too often a botch, and then I'd say, "Your character doesn't know that." Both of us had a ball in that game. After GMing for years he reveled in a toon that just let him not think.

I could talk about my Transformers games, I use a D6 system that allows for some of the most egregious min-maxing you're ever likely to see. It's great. Played a Dinobot that was stronger than Metroplex. Swat did not help much when we were figuring out the Decepticons latest plots, but once the fight started he was invaluable.

So, as a min-maxer you have to accept that you're going to be AMAZING at what you're maxxed at and LOUSY at the minned stuff. Your toon is going to be worthless for part of the adventure, if not most of it. If you don't enjoy this style of play, roll up a toon with 3D in all stats and have a ball. As a GM, most of my players go the 3D route, as they always want to be contributing. My adventures tend to be not as combat intensive and more story driven.

D&D, by design, is a combat focused game. First edition is solely a dungeon crawl, XP is given out for the amount of gold you recover. Your focus is finding monsters, killing them, and getting their gold. That the Roleplaying genre of games came out of D&D was a happy accident.

SW D6 is a roleplaying game. It was built to make a game out of telling stories. You can run entire sessions without combat and it can be just as fun if not more fun. You get XP for roleplaying and making the game more fun. While you can get xp for completing missions, you do not get more xp for each enemy killed.

The point I'm driving at here is that being great at combat has less impact on D6. Completing the mission, fun, and RPing is rewarded, so you're not getting rewarded for killing more stormtroopers or acing TIEs.

In D6, being good at Perception or Technical can be more valuable to your party than combat. It balances things out.

Also, a high STR toon is easy to deal with. Have the NPC adversaries learn to stay at range. Your super-Esoomian is not going to have an amazing DEX, they max out at 3D+1. They have to close to use their amazing skills, and NPCs should be smart enough to learn that. Your character can get a reputation, and soon the entire underworld/empire will know not to get close to the giant elephantine strongman. To be fair, that should be obvious by looking at him.

Yes, there are weapons to deal with him, but there's also the stun rule. Every time you get stunned you take a 'stun counter.' When the number of stun counters equals the number before the D on your STR attribute, your toon is unconscious for 2D minutes.

Dex is even easier to control. So the starting toon is almost as good a shot as Boba Fett of Han Solo. Max out his blaster's damage at 5D. A normal human npc villain in 2D armor would be resisting at 4D. 5D vs 4D is not a guaranteed kill shot. Same is true for MEC, the damage is based on the weaponry.

In my games a 1D knowledge is going to hurt you significantly more than 7D STR will help. But those are my games, every GM is different. And my players are generally my age, and tend not to be "murder hobos." And the big, scary Esoomian getting ripped off every single time he tries to haggle is always funny.

There is something incredibly joyful in being able to punch out 7 adversaries in a couple rounds. You're the big guy in the group, enjoy yourself.

I could get more into the different versions of D&D, and how they don't run like D6. 3.0/3.5 is the closest, but that's because WOTC was directly borrowing from WEG D6 when they made 3.0. Long story and I've rambled enough.

Final thought: we are gaming to have fun. If everyone at the table is having fun, you're doing it right.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

D&D, by design, is a combat focused game. First edition is solely a dungeon crawl, XP is given out for the amount of gold you recover. Your focus is finding monsters, killing them, and getting their gold. That the Roleplaying genre of games came out of D&D was a happy accident.

I wanted to Address this. This statement is a misconception that could not be farther from the truth - though it is how 1st and 2nd edition are commonly seen. It is true that so many gaming groups ran 1st and 2nd edition AD&D this way, but it is also true that so many of the "Dungeonmasters" of said groups often either did not own the Dungeon Masters Guide or did not bother to really read it. I say this as a long time Dungeonmaster and Gamemaster who not only extensively played AD&D first and second edition but ran it, ran premade adventures for it, and owned (and still own) the Players Handbooks and DMGs for both editions as well as numerous other books for both. Most pre-written adventures and campaigns had story awards and awards for accomplishing specific goals - though often I ran into DMs who left thos out because they did not fit his style. The DMG for both editions has entire sections denoting XP awards for different classes for different acts, as well as non-combat XP. Both also had the charts to create new classes and balance the XP needs, and to balance the XP of new monsters created. This was in addition to a whole lot of other chapters about running narratives, time and movement, campaigns and characters age, dungeon design, and so much more. It is really a shame so many people ignored the DMG as unnecessary and it led to the combat heavy dungeon crawl trope.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Kytross wrote:

I wanted to Address this. This statement is a misconception that could not be farther from the truth - though it is how 1st and 2nd edition are commonly seen. It is true that so many gaming groups ran 1st and 2nd edition AD&D this way, but it is also true that so many of the "Dungeonmasters" of said groups often either did not own the Dungeon Masters Guide or did not bother to really read it. I say this as a long time Dungeonmaster and Gamemaster who not only extensively played AD&D first and second edition but ran it, ran premade adventures for it, and owned (and still own) the Players Handbooks and DMGs for both editions as well as numerous other books for both. Most pre-written adventures and campaigns had story awards and awards for accomplishing specific goals - though often I ran into DMs who left thos out because they did not fit his style. The DMG for both editions has entire sections denoting XP awards for different classes for different acts, as well as non-combat XP. Both also had the charts to create new classes and balance the XP needs, and to balance the XP of new monsters created. This was in addition to a whole lot of other chapters about running narratives, time and movement, campaigns and characters age, dungeon design, and so much more. It is really a shame so many people ignored the DMG as unnecessary and it led to the combat heavy dungeon crawl trope.

I don't see how it is possible to play AD&D 1e without the DMG.

Yes, I got out my DMG (p.84+) and it says you get XP for killing monsters too, not just treasure. It also says you get XP for otherwise defeating monsters without killing them, requiring some judgement from the DM.

I do still agree with Kytross that the emphasis on D&D was on killing monsters, but I disagree with the statement that roleplaying coming from D&D was an accident. It was a organic evolution. D&D arose out of tabletop miniature wargaming, and other games added more roleplaying to D&D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I LOVE min/maxing in D6.

Welcome back to the surface, Kytross! It had been a while since you've posted.

Quote:
So, as a min-maxer you have to accept that you're going to be AMAZING at what you're maxxed at and LOUSY at the minned stuff.

But it isn't only the player of the munchkin that has to accept it. Everyone else has to accept it too, or be unhappy because one character far outshines the others in certain ways.

Quote:
Your toon is going to be worthless for part of the adventure, if not most of it.

As GM, I don't get into worthless PCs. In a mixed group of PCs without munchkins, everyone will still have their strengths and weaknesses, sure. But no character should just be on the sidelines.

I'm a fan of putting interstellar travel and space combat into almost every adventure because I like to keep the "Star" in Star Wars. I don't like running groups where any PCs have nothing to do in a space battle. Sure, some PCs will have high Mechanical and some will have low. Some will have more skill dice in Mechanical (usually the higher attribute ones) and some will have fewer. But everyone should have something to do in a spaceship. I've GMed multiple PCs with 2D in Mechanical but 4D in one skill, covering the one thing they do in space combat (shields, etc.). I always have modified PC ships with enough stations for everyone to handle their role in space combat. In recent years I've played as a player in games where some PCs do nothing in space combat. Boooring.

Quote:
If you don't enjoy this style of play, roll up a toon with 3D in all stats and have a ball.

I'm reading this as false dilemma fallacy. There is a big happy medium between munchkins and PCs with the median 3D in all attributes. In my game most PCs have a variety of attribute codes ranging from 2D to 3D+2. And some may also have an attribute higher than 3D+2, up to 5D. Non-munchkin games can still be far from all strait 3D characters.

Quote:
As a GM, most of my players... always want to be contributing. My adventures tend to be not as combat intensive and more story driven.

Sounds good to me that your players want to be more well-rounded and not be sidelined. And the co-creation of a story is the true purpose of roleplaying.

Quote:
SW D6 is a roleplaying game. It was built to make a game out of telling stories. You can run entire sessions without combat and it can be just as fun if not more fun. You get XP for roleplaying and making the game more fun. While you can get xp for completing missions, you do not get more xp for each enemy killed.

The point I'm driving at here is that being great at combat has less impact on D6. Completing the mission, fun, and RPing is rewarded, so you're not getting rewarded for killing more stormtroopers or acing TIEs.

In D6, being good at Perception or Technical can be more valuable to your party than combat. It balances things out.

I love combat. Over the decades of running this game, I have ran a few action-light games, but these are few and far between. No, you are not rewarded directly for killing enemies. Yes, completing the mission is the objective. But there is usually action, including the killing of enemies, at some point along the way of completing it. I love a good plot and roleplaying, but action is also a fundamental of the game.

So in my experience, it isn't the case where Star Wars has little action as part of the story, but rather the case that munchkins with beefed up Dexterity and Strength (and Perception) overshadow the other characters (thus why the term "unbalanced" is used). And munchkins strong in other areas with extremely minimized combat abilities are a liability to the group.

Quote:
...Final thought: we are gaming to have fun. If everyone at the table is having fun, you're doing it right.

This is a good point. If everyone at the table is having fun, then great. In my experiences playing with power-gaming players with munchkin PCs (which have only happened when I was player), I and some other players didn't have fun. The inverse of your statement is largely true as well. If everyone is not having fun, then you are probably not doing it right.

As I already stated on the first page, munchkins are the path to power-gaming. Powergaming is the dark side of roleplaying, and I despise it with with a passion. In my experience, it is selfish. Powergamers rely on their munchkins for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves. Their jollies are more important than the co-creation of a good story and everyone at the table equally having fun. And even good gamers can still be tempted by power gaming, so my prohibition against munchkin saves players from giving in to the dark side.

And all the apologetics provided for why munchkins aren't bad because there are ways for the GM to deal with them, describe an opposition between the GM and players, where the GM is required to come up with ways to challenge and defeat the munchkinism. I despise this "Vs" mentality. The GM version of a power gamer is called an Evil GM for a reason. I reject the dark side and this dark premise for roleplaying games. I reject the selfishness. I make it very clear to all new players my style of gaming and my zero tolerance for power gaming. That leaves only players with the same goal as me, making a story that is good for everyone.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I LOVE min/maxing in D6. Unlike in D&D, the system balances things out. This comes down to the fundamental differences between D6 and D&D.

I'll give a few examples of crazy characters and then I'll explain the theory. Feel free to skip ahead if you want.

The first extreme character I played was a Barabel in 2D armor, coupled with their 2D/1D+2 natural armor gave me a 8D+2 resistance to blaster fire. 5D STR, 4D DEX, 4D PER, 2D MEC, 2D KNO, 1D TEC. Started with a Dodge of 6D. IF something could hit him he could soak pretty much anything. Ridiculously fun character to play, great at everything in personal combat, lousy in space. With a 4D Perception he was useful in RP environments too. Though I was usually the only non-human in a bigoted Imperial setting.

SO how was that guy, ever challengable? With his high Per he's also relatively good vs force.. Which is often one of the down sides normally, for high str foes..

Kytross wrote:
Played a 6D Dex Meri. 8D Blaster and Dodge at character creation. I don't think I missed a shot the few times I played him. Useless outside of combat except for his medical skills.

SIX D DEX?? What the hizzle? Just looked them up, and 6d dex, is outrageous.. Again, how could a dm realistically EVER challenge someone like that..??
Kytross wrote:

Also, a high STR toon is easy to deal with. Have the NPC adversaries learn to stay at range. Your super-Esoomian is not going to have an amazing DEX, they max out at 3D+1. They have to close to use their amazing skills, and NPCs should be smart enough to learn that. Your character can get a reputation, and soon the entire underworld/empire will know not to get close to the giant elephantine strongman. To be fair, that should be obvious by looking at him.

IT does no good to shoot at range, if they will STILL SOAK damn near every shot.. AND WHAT makes a threat against HIM, will be lethal to everyone else!

Kytross wrote:

Final thought: we are gaming to have fun. If everyone at the table is having fun, you're doing it right.

BUT is it really 'fun' to be almost invincible? Especially if what has to get thrown AT YOUR uber 'Toon", can run roughshod over everyone else on the table??

Whill wrote:
But it isn't only the player of the munchkin that has to accept it. Everyone else has to accept it too, or be unhappy because one character far outshines the others in certain ways.

AND can you imagine, being the character who DIES< because one of the 'uppped baddies', that was put in to CHALLENGE said munchkin, SHOOTS ME INSTEAD?? Or being on a ship where i am useless, and dying because the enemy BLEW UP OUR SHIP< all because the munchkin in ship combat, had a bad die day??

Whill wrote:
I'm reading this as false dilemma fallacy. There is a big happy medium between munchkins and PCs with the median 3D in all attributes. In my game most PCs have a variety of attribute codes ranging from 2D to 3D+2. And some may also have an attribute higher than 3D+2, up to 5D. Non-munchkin games can still be far from all strait 3D characters.

Exactly. I've had fun with characters, who were say 2d+1 in two stats, 3d in two stats, one at 3d+1, and one at 4d. So he could be usable in many areas..

Whill wrote:
And all the apologetics provided for why munchkins aren't bad because there are ways for the GM to deal with them, describe an opposition between the GM and players, where the GM is required to come up with ways to challenge and defeat the munchkinism. I despise this "Vs" opposition. The GM version of a power gamer is called an Evil GM for a reason. I reject the dark side and this dark premise for roleplaying games. I reject the selfishness. I make it very clear to all new players my style of gaming and my zero tolerance for power gaming. That leaves only players with the same goal as me, making a story that is good for everyone.

Nicely said.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread - what I like the most about it is that is has not degenerated into the type of back and forth we are used to seeing in other areas of the net. A testament to the community here!

As a player and a gm I have seen my fair share of ....special...characters like these - I have nothing to add other than what has been said.

But I CAN say - the perspectives of the other players (ones not playing special characters) and the GM often vary ....greatly ...from that of the player of the special character.

While I am overall lucky that my players are mostly mature (especially after explaining how it impacts party dynamics and challenge scaling) I have made a few changes to my game to help prevent this specific type of abuse ...although I designed it for the "wookie" problem.

Later editions of D6 (specifically adventure d6) call that stat Physique, and Strength is a SKILL in it. Physique is used for soaking damage, just like in our beloved and antiquated star wars, but no races get any bonuses in it - or start higher. All races get up to 2D of skill bonuses - and wookies get +2D to strength.

The strength or quantity of a being's muscles really should not impact its resilience to blaster fire.... (plot armor non-withstanding).

Oh, and CRM - in regards to the power scaling and balancing of force powers and users - I have finished my force attribute and force power revisions - I just need a few more edits and can share - but that, as they say - is another story....

be well my friends, and may the dice be with you!
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we could ask a few questions about a blaster hit, regardless of your STR Dice.

It seems blaster bolts have some form of kinetic damge, this should IMO be calculated in with a tyoe of "critical hit" with makes sense in combat and to a degree will lessen the issue of the "blaster soaking Wookie" or the 7D Rce in this case.

I have long argued that regardless of house rules and "interpretations" the black and white writing of rules states that a Player Character is giver 6D to hiss attribute dice in ADDTION to his Species where humans as to the attribute range represent the average, and is why the books allow 17D dice races like Twiælek and even 20 and 91D as well as races with as low as 14D in the total, with the human and average being 18D

Enought digression, and back to the kinetic damage.

A simple and amke sense rule is to look at amount of damage delt, if this is higher than AVERAGE of Strenght Dice you roll Stamina, and can be knocked out, but Not recived the stun condition unless damage delat is high enough.

So a Human with 2D in strenght, and a 1D armor will have an average of toughly 11-12 and any damage delth that is then higher than this prompts a Stamina roll.....while still high, this can fail when rolled enough times.

the failure is "knocked out, not acting, but not -stun condition-"
Much like we see in the mandalorian with the Black Wookie soaking some shots, taking damage by some and being staggered back by others that do not damage, do not stun him but they do prevent his immate action.

I think the Mando Scene there is a good way to analyze the wookie and the "blaster proof".

Have we seem an armored wookie, even one with a helmet? I then can not see that that a +/- 1D to a "common" weapons damage is in no way problematic.

Another aspect since this goes onto powergaming, and that is that the "cut above the rest" is often reduced by GMs for "challance and balance" rather than allowinf the cut above the rest to be that.

The NPCS with 18D to Attributes +Force Dice and the most heroic "hero" and "cut above the rest" is reduced by 1D to 3D in comparison.

Now I can see that the Wookie is an issue, you can not kill the 5D str or 6D str wookie comapted to the others who becuse of force or other ( silly) penalties are reduced from a cut ABOVE the rest to WELL BELOW the rest.

And yes as to a 7D STR Species, is not an issue, a Heavy blaster ( han solo) deals 6D damage, give it a little bit of TLC and it deals 7D+2

no need to get out the E.web and the death stars.

then comes difficulties, how difficut is something and should everytning be rolled, this is connected, becuse yes tou will take damage, if not bleeding then enevntually enough kinetic damage to go down. all ar not equal, and to me the biggest mistake a GM does is balance a world that is and is meant to be unballnced .
Like in many Level based RPGS, we have the issue of someone having MAX, becuse how can a hero be a hero without haing to struggle with that otherd do easy?
Or could it be we mistake how difficult of easy things are how things makes snes more than require rolls,

I can with any rifle (5D easily upgrade with the RAW provided I make the rolls, a weapon that deals damage well into the 7D range and more. as well as Adding full dice to the skill roll and still I am well within the rules as written for jury rigging, modifications and the like.

Is like how the -1D to aiming a gun is becuse of balance to the armor
where as I have fired a gun in armor and had no issue aiming...not warrnting a -1D to the overall stat and all skills.

trhis is where thinking and being creative and being "reasonable" comes in.
and to be fair a min max which is related to this topic has weaknesses, and many of that, however they tend to outshine too much in what they are good at.

I played a Super strong and Super fast Fighter in D&D maed in Dex and Strenght and Con, I was strongest , fastest and could take the most damage in combat......When we were in combat, and ewhile not a drooling idiot outside combat the overall stats and skills did not allow me to know much more than to tie my own soes with some help, having reduced intelligence, wisdom and charisma.........weaknesses...however if the camaogna ONLY is one long fight with nothing other than comabt then I would have been the suoerior one n everthing always, but as min maxed I had the terribel weaknnesses that in many cases mae me close to hadicapped.

The worst thing I know is the GM that reduce PCS to basically "30 yer old todlers" reducing skills attsibutes and the like, and then calinning they are heroic......some use the "journey" but that is never about the baby that is bullied and only by sheer luck reaches puberty, but the focued and ofthern "min maxed" person that tries to be the best at the things he/she love to be best at.

A skiier that is bad at skiing makes no sense even if a high skiiing skill would pose this so called balance issue....the balance issue is ONBLY with the GM and always there
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Interesting thread - what I like the most about it is that is has not degenerated into the type of back and forth we are used to seeing in other areas of the net. A testament to the community here!

I will second that cudos..

pakman wrote:

Later editions of D6 (specifically adventure d6) call that stat Physique, and Strength is a SKILL in it. Physique is used for soaking damage, just like in our beloved and antiquated star wars, but no races get any bonuses in it - or start higher. All races get up to 2D of skill bonuses - and wookies get +2D to strength.

So everyone has a base 2d "Physique", and their Str (which i take it is used for DEALING damage brawl/melee) is separate?
Also, can they increase their Physique? If so, at what cost?

Mamatried wrote:
Have we seem an armored wookie, even one with a helmet? I then can not see that that a +/- 1D to a "common" weapons damage is in no way problematic.

Which makes you wonder, SHOULD wookies be ALLOWED to wear armor? Same as Essomians/barbel etc..
That alone, may make those high Str races less problematic.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

pakman wrote:

So everyone has a base 2d "Physique", and their Str (which i take it is used for DEALING damage brawl/melee) is separate?
Also, can they increase their Physique? If so, at what cost?

Yes. average physique is 2D, just like every other Attribute.
Strength is a skill under Physique, and yes, it contributes to melee damage etc.

It is almost just like doing a search and replace - replace the Attribute Strength with "Physique" and the skill lifting with the skill "strength".

Now, in my game I also use the common house rule where weapon damage is 1/2 STR skill bonus, but that is a different topic.

I have no racial attribute modifiers in my game - just different minimums and maximums - but a wookie (or whatever) gets the same attribute dice to start as everyone else.
(all races have different skill bonuses and some background options to account for physiology and social/cultural variances).

garhkal wrote:

Which makes you wonder, SHOULD wookies be ALLOWED to wear armor? Same as Essomians/barbel etc..
That alone, may make those high Str races less problematic.

But that breaks immersion for me, and is treating a symptom rather than the root cause.

For me - I would rather fix the core issue (IMHO - making the same stat that soaks damage be the stat on how much you can bench press) than a symptom of it.

Again, once you have wookies with the same damage resistance attribute (Physique) as other party members - the problem solves itself.

The wookie can wear armor just like the bith, or mando, or corellian etc.

Like I said - different species get skill bonus to represent racial differences - wookies can get +2D to Strength skill - that way an adventurer wookie with a Physique of 3D still has a starting strength of 5D - which is pretty strong - especially compared to the average human of 2D.

This also means that wookies have more dice to be more things - diplomats, technicians, pilots, spies, scouts, etc. or even jedi. the don't have 5D dedicated to one attribute from the beginning.

However, everyone has to decide what is the best way to play their game - what works for my game, my not work for others and vice versa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: