The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

45 Years! Happy Star Wars Day (Orthodox)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> 45 Years! Happy Star Wars Day (Orthodox)!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: 45 Years! Happy Star Wars Day (Orthodox)! Reply with quote

1976, A long time ago...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that I'm a May the Fourth person now, though a friend reminded me of the anniversary by text (we missed synching up our SW game session by only a day).

That trailer is so old! lol I wonder what it would look like if they made one today, still using clips from the film.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late.
Busey days at the moment, but omg this brings back memories, and while I was not old enough for this one I was old enough for the next one.

I still remember this, is my first introduction to this wonderful galaxy
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember ever seeing the trailer when I was a wee lad, but I didn't go to the theater that much at that age. I know that Star Wars wasn't my very first theatrical experience, but I didn't have too many before it. I'm almost certain that it was my dad who was most interested in seeing Star Wars. Maybe he saw this trailer back then, because he was a movie fanatic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I will admit that I'm a May the Fourth person now, though a friend reminded me of the anniversary by text (we missed synching up our SW game session by only a day).

That trailer is so old! lol I wonder what it would look like if they made one today, still using clips from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55jkOtsEZZg&list=PLvXjubqkMdiAOTQxLU6tuVU7ADXczqbJQ&index=9
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go to the theater much when I was younger, either (I was 12 when SW came out). I'm pretty positive I never saw the original trailer back in the day.

@Barbarossa41: That was awesome! Reminds me of current trailers, where there's lots of clips from deleted scenes. I like how they used bits from the Special Editions, too, and love how crystal clear it is. I also think the fan-made Vader vs. Obi-Wan fight is fantastic, but it seems unfair to include it here.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Facts: i was born in May '75, the month George Lucas signed off on 90% of the concept art that defined the look of Star Wars!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Fun Facts: i was born in May '75, the month George Lucas signed off on 90% of the concept art that defined the look of Star Wars!

Cool. I'm a little older, old enough to have seen and remember seeing ANH in the theater. What I like to call being a "first generation Star Wars fan."

Fun fact: My wife wasn't even born when the first Star Wars came out, and she had never seen any Star Wars movies when we met in late 2005.

I showed them to her on DVD in chronological order. Even though she had thought Palpatine was shady and not totally trustworthy, she had no clue that he was the phantom menace until it was overtly revealed in RotS. She hated Anakin with a deep passion for his betrayal of the Jedi, and she was really disturbed while watching RotS until the birth of the twins, when she realized that Star Wars was a generational saga and there was hope for the future. RotS added a whole other dimension to her experience of ANH. When Vader held onto Leia while Alderaan was destroyed he was holding his daughter. When Vader shot at Artoo and Luke in the trench run, he was shooting at his former droid buddy and son. Although none of them knew it at the time, my wife did. I had been warned that showing the PT to my wife before the CT would ruin her experience of the TESB, but TESB turned out to be her favorite of all six films despite knowing about Luke's parentage before Vader revealed it to Luke, something she figured out was going to happen before it did. She was still affected by the melodrama of Luke's reaction to learning the news. And when Anakin returned to destroy the Sith in RotJ, she was even more surprised than us first geners were in 1983. She still hated him, but she was relieved that he finally did the right thing and she was satisfied with the conclusion of the saga.

Fast forward 10 years to our son watching the Lucas films (in the order of 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6), and TFA became the first SW film my wife and son had seen in the theater. I didn't say anything to my wife in advance but I was 99% sure Han would die in TFA. As soon as Han had walked out on the ledge to confront Kylo Ben, I became 100% certain and that it would happen in that scene. My wife was totally caught off guard and said out loud in the theater, "What the hell?!!" when Han got ran through. I guess that shock and drama really affected her. Just like with me, her first theatrical experience of Star Wars became her favorite SW film. The only difference is, I've lived through 10 subsequent SW movies that weren't as great as my first Star Wars, while she has only had to experience four subsequent lesser SW films to her first theatrical Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool. I'm a little older, old enough to have seen and remember seeing ANH in the theater. What I like to call being a "first generation Star Wars fan."

Fun fact: My wife wasn't even born when the first Star Wars came out.

Congratulations on robbing the cradle!!!! I'm jealous!! Laughing

Whill wrote:
I showed them to her on DVD in chronological order.

I'm glad she was able to have the roller coaster, even though some of the twists were pre-shown.

I'm a 1st Gen fan as well (age 8 in 1977).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ThorII, I love your Sig.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
@ThorII, I love your Sig.

I second that!

Prior to seeing RotJ in theaters, i saw ANH & TESB at screenings in the student union of the local university... It was also the year i first had an R2 birthday cake.
i had made a lightsaber out of cardboard tubes & plastic eggs, & brought it to the summer youth program often, like every day... i met my 1st girlfriend there. Best. Year. Ever.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Artoo cake for my birthday too one year. I'd have to dig up the photo album to remember which year, but I am guessing it was '78-'80.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: