The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

IRS (Imperial Reclamation Service)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> IRS (Imperial Reclamation Service)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: IRS (Imperial Reclamation Service) Reply with quote

IRS (Imperial Reclamation Service)
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Reclamation_Service

I've brought them back in my SWEU, as a part of COMPNOR, sometimes working with ISB, sometimes at odds...
The modern incarnation of the Imperial Reclamation Service (RecServ) is run by General Torran Valco & Inquisitor Zaku Imzer.

Character Templates: any Imperial, though COMPNOR & ISB are majority. Usually, when 'poaching' from other services, a request for transfer is made, with the individual's boss/commander either authorizing or denying the transfer. Rarely, a RecServ agent can convince one of their higher-ranking officers to force the transfer of an asset to override the boss/commander's denial of the transfer.
Non-Imperial Character Templates can be used at GM's discretion.

Character Equipment: any COMPNOR & Imperial gear as appropriate. Flame Projectors are popular in this branch...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something along these lines with my COMPNOR Expansion, as part of the Coalition for Improvements. Having them be part of COMPNOR, but under a different division than the ISB plays into your idea about having the two occasionally be at odds with each other.

If you haven't seen it already, I did a full rewrite of the COMPNOR Chapter from the ImpSB.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I did something along these lines with my COMPNOR Expansion, as part of the Coalition for Improvements. Having them be part of COMPNOR, but under a different division than the ISB plays into your idea about having the two occasionally be at odds with each other.

If you haven't seen it already, I did a full rewrite of the COMPNOR Chapter from the ImpSB.

Cool! I'll check them out when i can!
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i read the title, i thought it would be imperial salvage units... BUT archeological teams is much more fitting.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: COMPNOR Revised & Expanded; ={Dark Frontiers}= Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Okay, so i've been reading your COMPNOR Expansion, & i Like it! I think i am working it into my SWU, and already have a character idea:
Doctor Even Keel, (LtCdr.), Anthropology department, Advancement branch, Coalition for Improvements.
I envision him as a young, evil, Indiana Jones, played by a slightly unhinged Tobey Maguire. He will naturally be at odds with IRS/RecServ characters, since his department covertly does the same things IRS/RecServ chars do, but they do it overtly...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something worth considering is that the Imperial Reclamation Service existed 5,000+ years prior to the events of the films; it's from the Old Republic setting, when the Sith were more open and overt in their activities. And considering the intervening history, the IRS as an actual organization probably ceased to exist thousands of years ago. Anthropology performs a similar mission during a time when the Empire is ostensibly secular, as Palpatine never (so far as we know) openly declared himself as a Sith Lord to the general public. In fact, it would be highly uncharacteristic of him to do so.

So, the idea is, the mission performed by the IRS is still important to Palpatine, but because of how he has structured the Empire, he can't be seen openly proclaiming the organization as a Sith entity. Instead, he raises a new branch / bureau / whatever to perform the function covertly (with a broader artifact recovery mandate as a cover), and places it under the aegis of a branch of COMPNOR that handles things that Palpatine doesn't want publicly associated with the Empire. So it's recovery of Sith artifacts behind multiple layers of plausible deniability and secrecy.

Anthropology was also specifically written to provide an enemy in the event people wanted to introduce an Indiana Jones-style campaign into the SWU, with sinister Anthropology operatives and Inquisitors as the baddies.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Something worth considering is that the Imperial Reclamation Service existed 5,000+ years prior to the events of the films; it's from the Old Republic setting, when the Sith were more open and overt in their activities. And considering the intervening history, the IRS as an actual organization probably ceased to exist thousands of years ago. Anthropology performs a similar mission during a time when the Empire is ostensibly secular, as Palpatine never (so far as we know) openly declared himself as a Sith Lord to the general public. In fact, it would be highly uncharacteristic of him to do so.

So, the idea is, the mission performed by the IRS is still important to Palpatine, but because of how he has structured the Empire, he can't be seen openly proclaiming the organization as a Sith entity. Instead, he raises a new branch / bureau / whatever to perform the function covertly (with a broader artifact recovery mandate as a cover), and places it under the aegis of a branch of COMPNOR that handles things that Palpatine doesn't want publicly associated with the Empire. So it's recovery of Sith artifacts behind multiple layers of plausible deniability and secrecy.

Anthropology was also specifically written to provide an enemy in the event people wanted to introduce an Indiana Jones-style campaign into the SWU, with sinister Anthropology operatives and Inquisitors as the baddies.

Fair points...
Remember though, Jedi & Sith artifacts are illegal to own, transport, buy/sell, etc... so an agency dedicated to securing them should be not too surprising.
The existence of such an agency, should not be sufficient to out Palpatine as a Sith; we do have the Inquisitors, after all...
Having two such agencies, can suit his plans quite well...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Remember though, Jedi & Sith artifacts are illegal to own, transport, buy/sell, etc... so an agency dedicated to securing them should be not too surprising.
The existence of such an agency, should not be sufficient to out Palpatine as a Sith; we do have the Inquisitors, after all...

But one of those agencies is a direct descendant from a literal Sith Empire. Having Inquisitors in Imperial service right after the fall of the Jedi Order is not the same thing as outright calling them Sith Enforcers or something. Yes, there is precedent for Palpatine having multiple agencies with overlapping missions, but these are two different agencies from two different times, and Palpatine is too politically astute to resurrect an agency directly from an old Sith Empire and copy-paste it into his New Order. He'll find some way to disguise and redefine it so as to be more in line with his new government.

Considering the possibilities, if a separate agency exists in competition with Anthropology, it will almost certainly be a sub-set of either the ISB or Imperial Intelligence. The ISB makes the most sense for an overt organization, as it's very much the ISB's style to come in all heavy handed, so long as it's treated as a purely law enforcement matter, dealing with the fact that Sith and Jedi artifacts are illegal goods. Imperial Intelligence will be far more inclined to operate clandestinely.

If you're intent on going with two separate groups, I would suggest one under Improvements specializing in research and investigation of undiscovered artifacts or sites, while the other under the ISB focuses on items "already in circulation", as it were. The Improvements branch can be more bookish and scholarly, digging through manuscripts and scout logs looking for clues (ala an Indiana Jones crossover), while the ISB one focuses on oversight and "support" of local or regional law enforcement who encounter items like lightsabers, holocrons, etc.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

But one of those agencies is a direct descendant from a literal Sith Empire. Having Inquisitors in Imperial service right after the fall of the Jedi Order is not the same thing as outright calling them Sith Enforcers or something. Yes, there is precedent for Palpatine having multiple agencies with overlapping missions, but these are two different agencies from two different times, and Palpatine is too politically astute to resurrect an agency directly from an old Sith Empire and copy-paste it into his New Order. He'll find some way to disguise and redefine it so as to be more in line with his new government.

Considering the possibilities, if a separate agency exists in competition with Anthropology, it will almost certainly be a sub-set of either the ISB or Imperial Intelligence. The ISB makes the most sense for an overt organization, as it's very much the ISB's style to come in all heavy handed, so long as it's treated as a purely law enforcement matter, dealing with the fact that Sith and Jedi artifacts are illegal goods. Imperial Intelligence will be far more inclined to operate clandestinely.

If you're intent on going with two separate groups, I would suggest one under Improvements specializing in research and investigation of undiscovered artifacts or sites, while the other under the ISB focuses on items "already in circulation", as it were. The Improvements branch can be more bookish and scholarly, digging through manuscripts and scout logs looking for clues (ala an Indiana Jones crossover), while the ISB one focuses on oversight and "support" of local or regional law enforcement who encounter items like lightsabers, holocrons, etc.

Yes and no.
The beauty/irony is that, having not existed for more than a thousand years, is that aside from the Emperor & his Dark Side Adepts, only a handful of higher-ups & elites even know there was another IRS in the past. Most of COMPNOR is clueless as is the rest of the Imperial forces. The general populace is even more 'in the dark', figuratively & literally!

The anachronisms & other dynamics in my SWU work for me.
That they don't work for you is fine, you don't have to use them.
I am grateful you shared your Expanded COMPNOR with me! Incorporating it into my sandbox adds layers, and more opportunities!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: