The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Andor [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Andor [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
In the last SWd20 there is a chapter about styles of play. One of them is immersive storytelling with an example of political turmoil in Senate. No focus on combat but on talking, developing in-depth personas, and character interaction. Basically whole sessions may pass without a single blaster being fired.

Now we have a ready tutorial for this: all the scenes with Mon Mothma (Senate, her house) and her interaction with Luthen. Perfect.

Sounds like Vampire: The Masquerade LARPing.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been looking into the old Fantasy Warriors game by Nick Lund. It came with two armies of minis: orcs & dwarves. I read about it in Dungeon in the early 90's and dreamt of getting something like that. So now I am tracking down the minis to paint and reading the rules. In it, you can upgrade as many members of a squad of troops to musicians as you want. This allows you to add like a drummer or bugler or whatever to make the models look more interesting and have it impact the game in some small way. So I was talking to my old marching-band-and-gaming friend and saying, I want to paint a marching band to deploy on the tabletop. Since I can upgrade a whole squad to musicians in this game! He said it sounded cool, but what good would a band be in combat? The very next day, the final season of Andor dropped and he texted me, freaking out about it. We saw what a marching band can do!

pakman wrote:

I could continue to gush - but dang, that was some very fine star wars.
While it is set a bit later than my current game (we are a couple of years earlier ) - it is a great glimpse into parts of life in the empire and my players and I all love it.

I'm officially saying for me, myself and I: the prison life in Andor, is Palpatine's vision for how all civilians will live in his 1984 endgame plan for the galaxy.

It was a really good show. Up there with Mandalorian Season 1. Hard to beat that season on sound design though.

I'm really enjoying Star Wars with no Force, no Skywalkers, no nothing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Death Star double as a telescope? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:
I was watching the end-credits scene of Andor and when those spider construction droids were assembling the superlaser dish, the mirrors were yellow and the same hexagonal honeycomb design of the mirrors on the James Webb Space Telescope. I can’t help but feel this was intentional. Theoretically could you use the Death Star as a telescope. I remember futurist Anders Sandberg said a Dyson sphere could be a powerful telescope. So could an imperial use it for a telescope or would it need to be reconstructed slightly?

Interesting.

I have seen a fan made Death Star serving the role of a Mega Carrier for ISDS and Dreadnaughts.

And with the size of the the thing I would thing it could serve some of these purposes as well as being a platform for the super laser.

This really irks me. I haven't seen the final episode of Andor yet, and I presume this Death Star related end credits scene is there. I moved this here and deleted Maximum7's thread because it was a vagrant violation of the spoiler policy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Well I hurried up and watched the final episode of Andor to not be further spoiled...

TauntaunScout wrote:
It was a really good show. Up there with Mandalorian Season 1. Hard to beat that season on sound design though.

I'm really enjoying Star Wars with no Force, no Skywalkers

Even if TM s1 has the best sound design, I feel Andor is still the best Star Wars TV series overall, for many reasons much more important than sound design. It's totally unprecedented in Star Wars. Andor is the nitty gritty of life in the Empire. How tyranny breeds rebellion. It's a brilliantly written slice of life of the Star Wars galaxy. And it doesn't contradict any canon that is important to me, which is a really nice bonus.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...Well I hurried up and watched the final episode of Andor to not be further spoiled...

TauntaunScout wrote:

I'm really enjoying Star Wars with no Force, no Skywalkers

Even if TM s1 has the best sound design, I feel Andor is still the best Star Wars TV series overall, for many reasons much more important than sound design. It's totally unprecedented in Star Wars. Andor is the nitty gritty of life in the Empire. How tyranny breeds rebellion. It's a brilliantly written slice of life of the Star Wars galaxy. And it doesn't contradict any canon that is important to me, which is a really nice bonus.

As a West End fan it's the best TV show. It's like they got the old adventure module writers and gave them their own show to direct.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Disney us, but saw Andor on Hulu. I watched it, but learned they only put episodes 1 and 2 on Hulu. Those first two episodes really intrigued me...

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two episodes were just building up to the third, which is action packed and exciting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I don't have Disney us, but saw Andor on Hulu. I watched it, but learned they only put episodes 1 and 2 on Hulu. Those first two episodes really intrigued me...

Putting only the first two episodes on other platforms was a huge error on the executives who made this decision IMHO - as those are mostly build up and setting up characters and story arcs for the 3rd episode - which is the conclusion of the first story arc.

One and two are a very slow burn - but come together very well in 3.

(andor is almost like a trilogy - with a 2 hour finale at the end).

I am glad you liked it - but a lot of folks I know lost interest in only one or two - as they thought there were too slow.

Overall, I think andor is the best star wars content we have ever had - and I am quite the snob when it comes to story telling, much less star wars.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

Get the Disney-Hulu bundle for like a month and binge all the SW shows. And new-Willow.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

Get the Disney-Hulu bundle for like a month and binge all the SW shows. And new-Willow.

Why pay more for a Hulu bundle?

Today you can get Disney+ for one month ad-free for $8. But December 8th the price goes up to $11 a month for ad-free viewing because they are introducing an ad option for $8.00 tomorrow.

The Disney-Hulu bundle rate is also going up tomorrow.

Arrow Last chance to watch Andor ad-free for $8.00 Exclamation
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:
Andor has a scene that shreds the notion that projectiles are useless against capital ships.

That scene shouldn't have worked because ships that size are suppose to have particle shielding that should be more than enough to stand up to a kinetic bombard at such close range. The only way it works is if you can headcanon something about the Cantwell dropping its shields to capture his ship.

You've seen Andor? Or just select scenes?

Seeing as it is my intention to canonize Andor into my SWU, then yes, that headcanon might help. It makes some sense that it might have dropped particle shields to pull the ship in. If a ship is trying to run they are not going to expect it to attack in any way. A captured ship will usually blow its engines trying to escape or give up and surrender.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You've seen Andor? Or just select scenes?

Just that one. I think it came up in discussion on the Fractalsponge Discord, to the effect that it shouldn't have been possible for it to happen. So, I watched the video just to see what the fuss was about, and I put some thought into it.

Quote:
Seeing as it is my intention to canonize Andor into my SWU, then yes, that headcanon might help. It makes some sense that it might have dropped particle shields to pull the ship in. If a ship is trying to run they are not going to expect it to attack in any way. A captured ship will usually blow its engines trying to escape or give up and surrender.

It makes for a very nice sleight-of-hand, and plays well with the "give up and surrender" choice, right up until the moment you're at point blank range.

Add to that that a purely kinetic weapon firing into a tractor beam will be much harder to detect on sensors, since there won't be much, if any, power going to the weapon itself, thus making it a lot harder for the target's sensor operators to realize what's coming.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my idea for escaping from a tractor beam that I shared on the previous page of this thread:

Quote:
My idea for one was to launch a torpedo at the tractor beam projector so the tractor beam would pull the torpedo toward the projector, and then the tractor operator would be forced to release the ship in hopes of steering the torpedo away from the projector.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Here was my idea for escaping from a tractor beam that I shared on the previous page of this thread:

I haven't been paying attention as I haven't seen anything of Andor apart from the scene in question, thus I had nothing to contribute.

Quote:
My idea for one was to launch a torpedo at the tractor beam projector so the tractor beam would pull the torpedo toward the projector, and then the tractor operator would be forced to release the ship in hopes of steering the torpedo away from the projector.

It's a good idea in general, but I don't think it captures the specifics of what we saw on screen quite as well. With the way I've gone with proton torpedo stats, they'd be particularly useful in this role, as they are both better equipped to withstand point defenses and penetrate shields, but the tradeoff would likely be that the launching systems would be more easily read as active and ready to fire than would a simple kinetic bombard. Thus, a targeted ship would have warning to be able to react. With the kinetic splatter attack, the sensor signature would be minimal.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:

It's a good idea in general

Thanks.

Quote:
I don't think it captures the specifics of what we saw on screen quite as well.

Oh, I wasn't trying to capture any specifics of what we saw on the screen. When I was watching the episode, just the general idea of escaping from a tractor beam reminded me of the idea I had. I wasn't suggesting any reinterpretation of what happened on the screen in Andor. I mentioned it again because it was on topic to the general idea of defeating tractor beams.

Quote:
With the way I've gone with proton torpedo stats, they'd be particularly useful in this role, as they are both better equipped to withstand point defenses and penetrate shields, but the tradeoff would likely be that the launching systems would be more easily read as active and ready to fire than would a simple kinetic bombard. Thus, a targeted ship would have warning to be able to react. With the kinetic splatter attack, the sensor signature would be minimal.

If that works for you, great. I don't think I need all that technobabble for torpedo tech in my SWU/game.

I'm thinking my idea is worth me exploring the possibilities. It isn't OP because most ships don't even have torpedoes or missiles, so it isn't going to be an option for too many ships. And the number of tractor beam projectors a capturing ship has available in that arc is also going to be a big factor, because one tractor beam project disengaging from the captured ship to steer a torpedo away isn't necessarily going to help if the capturing ship has many more tractor beams to bring to bear on the target ship. But a small customs inspector capital ship against a suped-up smuggler/rebel freighter with hidden illegal weapon system? Maybe there is a chance it could work.

Proton torpedoes and concussion missiles are film canon. I don't really have any motivation to bring the Haulcraft's trick into my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: