The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Movement House Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Head canon" generally makes rounds 5 TO 8 seconds, to accomodate that sprinting issue...
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of those things that is probably best described as "a few seconds". Some games count a round as up to 10 seconds, which is a little goofy when you only take one or two actions a turn. Playing it out would be like watching a fight sequence with severe buffering issues!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
It is one of those things that is probably best described as "a few seconds". Some games count a round as up to 10 seconds, which is a little goofy when you only take one or two actions a turn. Playing it out would be like watching a fight sequence with severe buffering issues!

That's why you have the "or less". If the action in a round shouldn't take the full length for dramatic reasons, then it doesn't take that long and you move on to the next round sooner. Especially if everyone only takes one action and maybe a reaction.

The other thing is, for blaster fights (and some other things), I generally consider one game-mechanical "attack" to be three bolts. For dramatic reasons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:

That's why you have the "or less". If the action in a round shouldn't take the full length for dramatic reasons, then it doesn't take that long and you move on to the next round sooner. Especially if everyone only takes one action and maybe a reaction.

The other thing is, for blaster fights (and some other things), I generally consider one game-mechanical "attack" to be three bolts. For dramatic reasons.

For blasters, do you characters expend three ammo from their weapons for each shot or is the three shot description just for narrative effect?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:

For blasters, do you characters expend three ammo from their weapons for each shot or is the three shot description just for narrative effect?

It's for narrative effect, and actually I rarely ever keep track of blaster ammo anyway. I presume that blaster packs are recharged/replaced every opportunity so never require players to even tell me they are doing that. Now if they are in an extended time away from the ship I might keep track, and in those cases I still would only tally one shot for each rolled attack, even though the attack might be narratively described as "pew-pew-pew."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:

It's for narrative effect, and actually I rarely ever keep track of blaster ammo anyway. I presume that blaster packs are recharged/replaced every opportunity so never require players to even tell me they are doing that. Now if they are in an extended time away from the ship I might keep track, and in those cases I still would only tally one shot for each rolled attack, even though the attack might be narratively described as "pew-pew-pew."

That's one reason i often wonder, WHY blasters are listed with SUCH powerpacks... It seems often no one bothers tracking them... May as well have said "they are unlimited"..
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:

That's one reason i often wonder, WHY blasters are listed with SUCH powerpacks... It seems often no one bothers tracking them... May as well have said "they are unlimited"..

I track them in my games and there have been many times the ammo runs out at a bad time, forcing the players to change strategy. It is extra record keeping but has been worth it for my games anyway.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I track them in my games and there have been many times the ammo runs out at a bad time, forcing the players to change strategy. It is extra record keeping but has been worth it for my games anyway.

I usually save ammo running out for complications from 1 on the wild die. It more often might be that the ammo pack is faulty and had a slow blaster gas leak, etc., but I occasionally change it up and say, "Oops, you must have forgotten to replace your ammo pack." It's the same exact effect as it being faulty. And it is rarely ever drastic because I also hand wave every PC having a spare blaster pack on their person without the players telling me they replenish them, so they usually just might have to use an action to replace their ammo pack mid-battle. If someone doesn't have a spare for whatever reason, then they may have to call out to the team, "I need a pack!" and then another PC has to use an action to toss them their spare so they can reload.

There have also been plenty of times where they are using stolen blasters and don't have any spare ammo packs, such as escaping from being captured and grabbing their guards' weapons. Then the complications could easily be that they ran dry, and of course they may be forced to change tactics.

When I explain to any new players in my group how I prefer to handle blaster ammo, I warn them about possible complications.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great way to do it without bogging the game in another layer of minutae. I think I just have a problem getting too granular sometimes. I should try that instead.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to look up prior threads, we've had about ammo, and see what everyone else does..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've never understood the whole "Five sec" thing for rounds, especially with someone supposedly dashing 40 yards.. That's almost olympic level sprinting...

Not really. That comes out to 12 seconds for a 100 meter dash. I was able to do the 100m dash in 11 seconds flat in high school.

An Olympic runner is 10 or 9 seconds.

Olympic level runners haven't gone 11 seconds since the early 1900s.

I would say that All-Out move could not be done if:
Carrying anything
Over any ground that isn't Easy level of difficulty
Cannot be done by anyone over 30 years of their "racial" age. They must be considered "young" to do that.

Now some races may be designed to naturally be faster, just like a Cheetah is faster than a Lion. So those All-Out requirements would have to be adjusted for anything with a Move rating of GREATER than 10.

Or you could say that you can only move ALL-Out for one round, not for more than 1 round consecutively unless the above requirements or met.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I've never understood the whole "Five sec" thing for rounds, especially with someone supposedly dashing 40 yards.. That's almost olympic level sprinting...

Not really. That comes out to 12 seconds for a 100 meter dash. I was able to do the 100m dash in 11 seconds flat in high school.

An Olympic runner is 10 or 9 seconds.

Olympic level runners haven't gone 11 seconds since the early 1900s.

I would say that All-Out move could not be done if:
Carrying anything
Over any ground that isn't Easy level of difficulty
Cannot be done by anyone over 30 years of their "racial" age. They must be considered "young" to do that.

Now some races may be designed to naturally be faster, just like a Cheetah is faster than a Lion. So those All-Out requirements would have to be adjusted for anything with a Move rating of GREATER than 10.

Or you could say that you can only move ALL-Out for one round, not for more than 1 round consecutively unless the above requirements or met.

I like the idea of testing using the Running skill and just increase the difficulty one level per consecutive round moving at all-out speed. I do think Stanina should play a roll as well...

Alternately, you could require Running and Stanina skills checks for consecutive rounds running at all-out, which would incur a -1D MAP even though technically the character is only taking one action.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Stamina is needed for something as short as the 100 meter dash. It's over pretty quickly most times. 200 meters, yeah, probably 1 roll of stamina. 400 meters would be 2 rolls, and so on.

I could do the 200 meters in high school, but I was pretty much spent at the end, and my time wasn't as fast as my 100 meter x2.

I was once put on a relay team, and had to do 400 meter run as part of the relay. It was terrible. You could say I was dwarf-like. "natural sprinters! Not good over long distance."
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. I intended to recommend stamina after multiple rounds if all out speed, not just one round.
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I thought I'd share our house rules for movement which are very similar to Dr Bidlo's:

Movement Rules

Every character and creature has a Move characteristic: it's how many meters per round the character moves while walking (most humans have a Move of 10). Moving is an action, just like firing a blaster or dodging an attack. A character can make one move action per round. A running or walking character uses their running skill or Dexterity attribute. A swimming character uses their swimming skill or Strength; a climbing character uses their climbing/jumping skill or Strength. For unusual movements — such as swimming or climbing — the Move is normally one third of the character's Move.

Movement Speeds
While a character may only make one move action in a round, they may select one of four movement speeds.

Cautious Movement: This is a slow walk for a character, they move up to half their Move as a free action with no skill check required if the terrain is considered Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate. In Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic terrains, roll the character's running skill, but reduce the difficulty one level.

Cruising Movement: Normal walking speed for a character — they move up to their Move speed. Moving at cruising speed counts as an action, but the character can automatically make the move for Very Easy, Easy and Moderate terrains. A character must roll their running skill for Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic terrains.

High Speed: Jogging speed for a character — they move up to twice their Move speed, but the movement is spread over two action phases (does not need to be consecutive phases) during the course of the round. The character must roll their running for Very Easy, Easy or Moderate terrain. When moving at high speed, Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic terrains increase one difficulty level. Only one skill check is required and while the move is spread over two action phases, it still only counts as one action.

All-Out: Running at all-out speed for a character — they move up to four times their Move speed, but the movement is spread over four consecutive action phases during the round. Characters making all-out movement may not do anything else in the round, including dodge or parry. Increase the difficulty one level for Very Easy, Easy and Moderate terrains. Increase the difficulty two levels for Difficult, Very Difficult or Heroic terrains. Only one skill check is required and counts as a full round action.

Lunge
As long as a character has not opted to make a movement action in the round, a character may make a special lunge movement action once per round. This allows a character to move up to a fifth of their Move speed to engage a target in melee or hand-to-hand combat as a free action and in combination with an attack action. No skill check required if the terrain is considered Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate. In Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic terrains, roll the character's running skill, but reduce the difficulty one level.

I quite like this suggestion of capping all out at 3x movement. Will definitely give that some thought.

Deano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: