The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

(15 BBY) "Bad Lando" or "BLando"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> (15 BBY) "Bad Lando" or "BLando"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: (15 BBY) "Bad Lando" or "BLando" Reply with quote

After seeing some alternate art of Lando, ideas for Imperial riffs on Lando began percolating in my mildly feverish brain...
An evil, moustache-twirling Imperial Lando. Or Anti-Lando.
I'm thinking COMPNOR, maybe hybridize the Imperial Morale Officer, COMPNOR Military Liaison & Imperial Smuggler templates?
Can anyone suggest any other templates i should check & where to find them?

This also brought me to an irritating issue;
Canon Lando, Born c. 43 BBY,[2] Socorro[3]
EU/Legends Lando, Born 31 BBY,[3] Socorro[1]
So 28 or 16 in 15 BBY/4 EY?
Bit much of a difference, eh?
How do i reconcile this?
Do i just ignore it?
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: (15 BBY) "Bad Lando" or "BLando" Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
After seeing some alternate art of Lando, ideas for Imperial riffs on Lando began percolating in my mildly feverish brain...
I'm thinking COMPNOR, maybe hybridize the Imperial Morale Officer, COMPNOR Military Liaison & Imperial Smuggler templates?

Interesting concept for a character. I don't have any further template suggestions but I was wondering, will the character have any relation to Lando? His estranged brother perhaps? You could work up an appearance based on Billy Dee Williams photos in the ballpark age of the character (adding the twirlable mustache). That would really help sell the 'evil Lando' concept to the players, unless the idea is just for your inspiration and you don't want the players to know 'evil Lando' was the base concept.

Quote:
How do i reconcile this?
Do i just ignore it?

How do you reconcile the Solo film with the Ann Crispin Han Solo Trilogy of novels? You don't. Canon and Legends don't have to be reconciled with each other. They are intentionally different. If you mean, which do you choose for your SWU, you can choose but you don't have to. If Lando's age is important to your game, then you can decide how old Lando is. But it may help your decision to look at the difference between canons.

For some odd reason, the EU made Lando much younger than Billy Dee Williams when he filmed TESB and RotJ (8 and 10 years younger, respectively). The Canon age is based on the age of the young Lando actor when filming Solo. That actually dominos to bring the character's age much more in line with Williams' age in TESB and RotJ (slightly older), and TRoS (slightly younger, because Abrams didn't set the DT far enough in the future of RotJ for any classic character ages).

So if Solo is canon in your SWU, then I would suggest accepting the Canon age or something close to it. And even if Solo isn't in your personal SWU, the Canon age is still closer than the EU age.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: (15 BBY) "Bad Lando" or "BLando" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

Interesting concept for a character. I don't have any further template suggestions but I was wondering, will the character have any relation to Lando? His estranged brother perhaps? You could work up an appearance based on Billy Dee Williams photos in the ballpark age of the character (adding the twirlable mustache). That would really help sell the 'evil Lando' concept to the players, unless the idea is just for your inspiration and you don't want the players to know 'evil Lando' was the base concept.

No, i wasn't planning on having them be related. That has been done with Thrackan Sal-Solo.
But i am making him Socorran.

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
How do i reconcile this?
Do i just ignore it?

How do you reconcile the Solo film with the Ann Crispin Han Solo Trilogy of novels? You don't. Canon and Legends don't have to be reconciled with each other. They are intentionally different. If you mean, which do you choose for your SWU, you can choose but you don't have to. If Lando's age is important to your game, then you can decide how old Lando is. But it may help your decision to look at the difference between canons.

For some odd reason, the EU made Lando much younger than Billy Dee Williams when he filmed TESB and RotJ (8 and 10 years younger, respectively). The Canon age is based on the age of the young Lando actor when filming Solo. That actually dominos to bring the character's age much more in line with Williams' age in TESB and RotJ (slightly older), and TRoS (slightly younger, because Abrams didn't set the DT far enough in the future of RotJ for any classic character ages).

So if Solo is canon in your SWU, then I would suggest accepting the Canon age or something close to it. And even if Solo isn't in your personal SWU, the Canon age is still closer than the EU age.

While i freely admit i am strongly biased in favor of the EU/Legends, as i loved the Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures & Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures series.
i also thoroughly enjoyed seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story on the big screen with my friends. Solo: A Star Wars Story is the best of the Disney SW. It underperformed at the box office through no fault of the cast or crew; it was timing...

i suppose, my SWU is canon-agnostic, being mostly EU/Legends but also discarding some EU/L, & cherry-picking a few good ideas from the new canon...
i suppose i consider the novels canon to my SWU but i can be a bit flexible with the timeline to make things fit better..
I had suspected something like what yu had suggested, regarding the character's age..
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have researched actor and character ages. Billy Dee William's ages when filming TESB and RotJ were about 42 and 45, respectively. The charater's EU age was way too young in the first place. The main story of Solo (the part with Lando) takes place 13 years before TESB. Do whatever works for you.

Solo also made Han a little older which does increase the age difference between Han and Leia, but despite the increased creep factor it actually works to make the character closer to Harrison Ford's age in the CT. So I adopted the canon update for Han's age as-in, so his ages in Solo, ANH, and TESB in my SWU match the DU (but not RotJ because I have an altered film timeline). For Lando I chose something in between the two canons because I didn't want Lando to be 11 years older than Han. Yes, Lando is still definitely older, but I have reduced the difference to 7 years, making Lando's age in TESB exactly match William's real world age when he filmed it. Donald Glover can pass for a few years younger than his age when filming Solo.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have researched actor and character ages. Billy Dee William's ages when filming TESB and RotJ were about 42 and 45, respectively. The charater's EU age was way too young in the first place. The main story of Solo (the part with Lando) takes place 13 years before TESB. Do whatever works for you.

Solo also made Han a little older which does increase the age difference between Han and Leia, but despite the increased creep factor it actually works to make the character closer to Harrison Ford's age in the CT. So I adopted the canon update for Han's age as-in, so his ages in Solo, ANH, and TESB in my SWU match the DU (but not RotJ because I have an altered film timeline). For Lando I chose something in between the two canons because I didn't want Lando to be 11 years older than Han. Yes, Lando is still definitely older, but I have reduced the difference to 7 years, making Lando's age in TESB exactly match William's real world age when he filmed it. Donald Glover can pass for a few years younger than his age when filming Solo.

So, Born c.36 BBY then? I think that works for me.
I am editing the stat block for "BLando" & setting him as Born c.47 BBY, making him 32 in 15 BBY/4 EY, and he wouldn't be the first to lie about his age, nor the last...

Whill, roll 1D6 for me & post the result, please?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
So, Born c.36 BBY then?

If Lando was 42 in TESB he would be 39 during the Battle of Yavin, so he would have been born in 39 BBY (in the official timelines). Incidentally, he was born 4 years before TPM in my personal SW timeline, but I have added three years to the timeline between AotC and Solo.

Quote:

http://rpetras.com/d6_data/dice_roller_graphical.html
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
So, Born c.36 BBY then?

If Lando was 42 in TESB he would be 39 during the Battle of Yavin, so he would have been born in 39 BBY (in the official timelines). Incidentally, he was born 4 years before TPM in my personal SW timeline, but I have added three years to the timeline between AotC and Solo.

Ah! Ok then! Yes i was working off the dates Wookiepedia gave the Landos...
So you give the Clone Wars six years, not three?

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

https://g.co/kgs/xy6zXc

Oh, that's neat! When did they add that?
And thank you for being the co-maker of R4-H13, the astromech inflicted upon "BLando"....
Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
So, Born c.36 BBY then?

Sort of. I add two years to the Clone War (the primary singular conflict) in between AotC and Rots. Then I add another year after RotS, which means it is 10 more years to Solo instead of 9 (and RotS to ANH is 20 years instead of 19). During that post-RotS extra year, there are early Empire "clone wars"; multiple smaller conflicts that are all won within a year. This serves to explain the shift from the singular "war" to plural "wars" between the PT and the CT. And I add a final extra year between TESB and RotJ. So by adding two years to the timeline both before and after RotS, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader still have the original balance of years he spent in each persona (which as important to Lucas).

I don't like to use B/ABY. Year Zero in my calendar is the year of TPM. In my SWU, this became the official in-universe calendar that the Emperor mandated at the start of the Empire, so it recognizes the era of Palpatine's leadership of the galaxy. Since three of the four years I added are before ANH, that makes all the in-universe dates WEG published for events around and between ANH and TESB work out exactly right for my SWU.
    0 TPM
    10 AotC
    15 RotS
    25 Solo
    35 RO/ANH
    38 TESB
    40 RotJ

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
So, Born c.36 BBY then?

Sort of. I add two years to the Clone War (the primary singular conflict) in between AotC and Rots. Then I add another year after RotS, which means it is 10 more years to Solo instead of 9 (and RotS to ANH is 20 years instead of 19). During that post-RotS extra year, there are early Empire "clone wars"; multiple smaller conflicts that are all won within a year. This serves to explain the shift from the singular "war" to plural "wars" between the PT and the CT. And I add a final extra year between TESB and RotJ. So by adding two years to the timeline both before and after RotS, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader still have the original balance of years he spent in each persona (which as important to Lucas).

I don't like to use B/ABY. Year Zero in my calendar is the year of TPM. In my SWU, this became the official in-universe calendar that the Emperor mandated at the start of the Empire, so it recognizes the era of Palpatine's leadership of the galaxy. Since three of the four years I added are before ANH, that makes all the in-universe dates WEG published for events around and between ANH and TESB work out exactly right for my SWU.
    0 TPM
    10 AotC
    15 RotS
    25 Solo
    35 RO/ANH
    38 TESB
    40 RotJ

Interesting. Is there a thread where your timeline & calendar are discussed?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
I add two years to the Clone War (the primary singular conflict) in between AotC and Rots. Then I add another year after RotS, which means it is 10 more years to Solo instead of 9 (and RotS to ANH is 20 years instead of 19). During that post-RotS extra year, there are early Empire "clone wars"; multiple smaller conflicts that are all won within a year. This serves to explain the shift from the singular "war" to plural "wars" between the PT and the CT. And I add a final extra year between TESB and RotJ. So by adding two years to the timeline both before and after RotS, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader still have the original balance of years he spent in each persona (which as important to Lucas).

0 TPM
    10 AotC
    15 RotS
    25 Solo
    35 RO/ANH
    38 TESB
    40 RotJ

Interesting. Is there a thread where your timeline & calendar are discussed?

It's come up in other threads, but I haven't made a dedicated thread about it yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: