The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper Armor and Protection reversed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stormtrooper Armor and Protection reversed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Stormtrooper Armor and Protection reversed Reply with quote

Having watched enough star wars tv shows, read comics and watched various animated series, I have noticed something in regards to the armors.

Much like earh armors, like a balistic helmet they are designed to resist one primary type of damage, be it shrapnel, a bullet or in case of a motorcycle helmet, impact at a high speed.

I have then noticed how the stomtroopers are easily knocked out from melee/physical trauma, in some cases with the armor oblitierated like we see in the Boba Fett and Mando seies.

Given that the Stormtrooper armor is designed to absorb/dissipate energy damage, I have a hard time seeing how it is more protective vs Physical ( the 2D Physical, 1D Energy), with looking into the construction we have the plastiod shell with a energy dispersing mesh and then paddings for fitting and comfort, this of course in addtion to the electronics.
Nothing in the hlemet construction is deidcated Phyiscal Trauma Protection, and we can argue the paddings fits this role, but then why is not a padded tunic or another padded helmet given a massive 2D vs physical?

So I suggest flipping the numbers, plastoid with mesh and paddings over a bodyglove will offer some physical protection and 1D is not overly much while as designed the armor focus is energy damage dispersal, offocerin the 2D to energy. since this is what the armor is designed for.

To me this matches more what we actually see the stormtrooper armors do, than what the stats indicate in the game.

Stromtrooper Armor: +1D vs Physical +2D vs Energy -1D to Dex and DEX based skills

I actually prefer that swapping of the numbers here
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stormtrooper Armor and Protection reversed Reply with quote

I edited your thread title because it wasn't spell checked. Please add "stormtrooper" to your application's dictionary.

This didn't need its own thread. You at least could have just posted this in your On the bucket heads again thread...

Mamatried wrote:
So I suggest flipping the numbers, plastoid with mesh and paddings over a bodyglove will offer some physical protection and 1D is not overly much while as designed the armor focus is energy damage dispersal, offocerin the 2D to energy. since this is what the armor is designed for.

To me this matches more what we actually see the stormtrooper armors do, than what the stats indicate in the game.

You cite a little evidence for the stormtrooper armor not being very physically protective to justify the switch, but ignore a lot more film evidence for the armor not providing protection against energy damage. If it was designed for energy protection, then the designers really blew it. The armor seems to be designed more for psychological effect than protection.

We've already discussed this extensively in other threads, such as Soaking Blaster Bolts. TM and TBoBF have very little influence on my view of stormtrooper armor protection, but this movie does. I'm not upping my stormtrooper armor from +1 energy damage protection because the probabilities in my damage system are based on it, but perhaps my stormtrooper armor's physical protection is too high. Maybe lowering that from +2D to +1D would be appropriate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: