The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Social Media & Image Galleries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Social Media & Image Galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Social Media & Image Galleries Reply with quote

For about 12 years now i've been using enjin as my main site for gaming & archiving pics as it is used by many guilds & most of my friends in SWTOR & STO (Star Trek Online)...
Since the covid pandemic began, i've been archiving more & more content on twitter.
There is now mounting evidence of both platforms nearing their respective ends.

While i have facebook i personally hate & detest the service for its hyper-aggressive capitalism & atrocious way of running their image galleries (excessive coding creates issues).
I had MySpace & will be seeing if my account still exists, what setup it has for galleries it has.
I'll be checking out https://guildtag.com which a good friend uses & highly recommends.
i have discord, but discord & fb both tend to be a greedy drain on the computer's resources, & with my current pos risks a crash.

Any recommendations?
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question. Does your image gallery have to be posted on social media? Would eliminating the social media requirement give any more options?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Social Media & Image Galleries Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
For about 12 years now i've been using enjin as my main site for gaming & archiving pics as it is used by many guilds & most of my friends in SWTOR & STO (Star Trek Online)...
Since the covid pandemic began, i've been archiving more & more content on twitter.
There is now mounting evidence of both platforms nearing their respective ends.

While i have facebook i personally hate & detest the service for its hyper-aggressive capitalism & atrocious way of running their image galleries (excessive coding creates issues).
I had MySpace & will be seeing if my account still exists, what setup it has for galleries it has.
I'll be checking out https://guildtag.com which a good friend uses & highly recommends.
i have discord, but discord & fb both tend to be a greedy drain on the computer's resources, & with my current pos risks a crash.

Any recommendations?

Have you considered Classmates? Maybe an IRC chatroom?

But seriously, why not just Onedrive or something similar?
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go old-school - external HD, writeable CD/DVD. Hell, even a USB drive or memory card. Why are you jumping through hoops trying to keep it online?
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, i need to:
- stay connected with friends
- have image galleries online to share with friends, link art/photos into posts such as here in the Pit but not limited to that, and physical media has failed me far too often..
- OneDrive is a subscription-based service, which i presently cannot afford.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
...link art/photos into posts such as here in the Pit...

That alone wouldn't need social media. You could just need something that can share public direct jpgs that are 750 pixels wide or less....

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
In short, i need to:
- stay connected with friends
- have image galleries online to share with friends, link art/photos into posts such as here in the Pit but not limited to that, and physical media has failed me far too often..
- OneDrive is a subscription-based service, which i presently cannot afford.

Thanks for answering. That makes sense why you want social media. From what I've seen they all have their issues. Facebook makes sharing images outside of Fb extremely difficult.

While I certainly won't endorse Twitter in general, I will say it is easy to share public jpgs there and it is easy to share direct images from there here. A lot of the memes and other images I share in posts here are from Twitter. I almost never comes across them on Twitter. When I find them elsewhere I do a reverse image search and then choose the Twitter images of the right size because they are usually shareable here.

I doubt Twitter will completely die. But it certainly may change a lot.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, most of the image hosts I used to use I no longer have an account on. Mostly I abandoned them due to changes in TOS I found underhanded, unethical, or impractical - often giving the company that owned the image host the rights to my images and the right to republish, even for profit, often in "collections" without my written consent or any compensation to me. Others either did away with hot-linking all together, or made it a paid feature. Even Deviantart (which I used to be able to hotlink to my works on) got rid of hotlinking to "protect Artists rights" even if it is the artist himself who wants to hotlink the image.

So, at the end of the day, I would love to find an image host that I could hotlink to who isn't trying to subvert my own rights or ownership to my own images as well. I would especially like this for sharing images here, such as scans of my old maps and some of my artwork for SW and use in SW games.

One Drive does have a free plan, with 5gb limit, but that is still a lot of images (unless they are really large images). I do not know if they can be hotlinked and haven't tried using it since they broke the links between it and the Xbox One accounts and ability to upload direct from the console. Also I just do not trust Microsoft. Too many bad experiences with Xbox support and deceptive practices with subscription expiration times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: