The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive? Reply with quote

I was reading A New Dawn and in it; one of the characters uses IED’s or Improvised Explosive Devices. They are basically explosives that can be made from makeshift materials on a scene and don’t have the punch that say Baradium has. What can I say they are made with? Does anybody know of a substance in Star Wars they could be salvaged and used as a bomb?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same things as normal world - except with sci-fi names perhaps.

The key is a material (i.e. chemicals) that rapidly combust and thus produce a rapid expansion of gasses/force - against a closed container.

I will refrain from more explanation, for privacy and security concerns.

They key here is you as the gm does not have to know, neither do the players - just their characters - a few skill rolls on demolitions and knowledge checks should be enough for them to improvise other materials.

That is - you don't need to list them - just make some rolls, have them go to the hardware and or grocery store....maybe have them take apart some weapons or datapads as well.

I would not overthink it, and I would not suggest googling it too much.

Best of luck in your game!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC in one of the Crakens books, you can do an IED (SW style), by linking 2 or more blaster power packs together, and causing them to overload..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think most blaster type weapons can be rigged to blow up
There is a set of wrist blasters that has this setting, ( possibly in cracken's field guide)
other than that is regular exploives placed in "anything" and I would say given the tech in star wars, most power sources I would think, and large ones are at least in games a way to use a IED type effect
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

...I would not suggest googling it too much.

Thank you! It would never be appropriate to discuss how to make real world explosives on this website.

pakman wrote:
They key here is you as the gm does not have to know, neither do the players - just their characters - a few skill rolls on demolitions and knowledge checks should be enough for them to improvise other materials.

That is - you don't need to list them - just make some rolls, have them go to the hardware and or grocery store....maybe have them take apart some weapons or datapads as well.

I would not overthink it...

This may be helpful to gamers but I'm not sure Maximum7 even plays this game. He is a fanfic writer and I'm pretty sure he is asking for Star Wars in-universe terminology for his stories. If so then this thread would technically be in the incorrect forum–General Star Wars would be more suiting. However, he usually asks questions and then doesn't engage in any discussion or even thank people for their replies, so I'll just leave it here in case anyone wants to discuss game rules for effecting MacGyver explosions in Star Wars.

Mamatried wrote:
There is a set of wrist blasters that has this setting, ( possibly in cracken's field guide)
other than that is regular exploives placed in "anything" and I would say given the tech in star wars, most power sources I would think, and large ones are at least in games a way to use a IED type effect
garhkal wrote:
IIRC in one of the Crakens books, you can do an IED (SW style), by linking 2 or more blaster power packs together, and causing them to overload.

Thank for these fully fictional, in-universe, game-related replies. Yes, the blaster power pack bomb is on p.76 of Cracken's Rebel Field Guide.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, in addition to Blaster Power packs, Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (1st Ed.) also mentioned a few other possibilities involving Power Couplers, Tibanna Gas Canisters, Droid Power Cells...I still cannot readily access my books to verify these. I would image a whole host of combustible chemicals can readily be found or synthesized in Star Wars/ I am sure they still have pipes which can be used to make pipe bombs. Flammable Liquors to make a Corellian Cocktail (or other suitable Star Wars named Molotov Cocktail)... I am sure fossil fuels are still in existence in parts of the galaxy. For improvised triggers a lot of things could be used ranging from Comm Links, Proximity Sensors, etc... to a Droid Restraining Bolt (limited ranged trigger).

If I had more time I could probably think of a lot more.
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
pakman wrote:

...I would not suggest googling it too much.

Thank you! It would never be appropriate to discuss how to make real world explosives on this website.

pakman wrote:

I would not overthink it...

This may be helpful to gamers but I'm not sure Maximum7 even plays this game. He is a fanfic writer and I'm pretty sure he is asking for Star Wars in-universe terminology for his stories. If so then this thread would technically be in the incorrect forum–General Star Wars would be more suiting. However, he usually asks questions and then doesn't engage in any discussion or even thank people for their replies, so I'll just leave it here in case anyone wants to discuss game rules for effecting MacGyver explosions in Star Wars.

Mamatried wrote:
garhkal wrote:
IIRC in one of the Crakens books, you can do an IED (SW style), by linking 2 or more blaster power packs together, and causing them to overload.

Thank for these fully fictional, in-universe, game-related replies. Yes, the blaster power pack bomb is on p.76 of Cracken's Rebel Field Guide.

I don’t write fan-fiction anymore. I am hoping to get some writing credits in SW someday when I finish grad school.

If you look back on my history; I shared a dream about a rabbit walker I had from Star Wars and thanked people and engaged in conversation.

I would also never ask how to build bombs. That is disgusting. I am merely thinking about something I read in a FICTIONAL setting.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re looking for hard sci-fi answers to your questions, that really isn’t our purview. I suggest trying the Fractalsponge Discord (Link). They love this sort of stuff.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If you’re looking for hard sci-fi answers to your questions, that really isn’t our purview. I suggest trying the Fractalsponge Discord (Link). They love this sort of stuff.

Awesome. I will keep that in mind. THANK YOU
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive? Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:
If you look back on my history; I shared a dream about a rabbit walker I had from Star Wars and thanked people and engaged in conversation.

I would also never ask how to build bombs. That is disgusting. I am merely thinking about something I read in a FICTIONAL setting.

I thought that might work to engage you. I remember the rabbit-walker thread. You thanked one of the four repliers who had said he loved the idea, and you said you would try to draw it. Did you? if so please post a reply in that thread.

Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness?

Above is your most recent post before today. Below are some more "post-and-ghost" threads:

What’s better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Do you remember this from either Legends or Canon?

Does hyperspace have any rules anymore?

Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars?

What can be done to improve navicomputers for Hyperspace?

Maximum7 wrote:
I don’t write fan-fiction anymore. I am hoping to get some writing credits in SW someday when I finish grad school.

Although you don't play the RPG, general (non-game-related) discussion of Star Wars is allowed at this site. Thanks for the personal update. So you are currently in between fanfic writing and professional writing. I wish you the best of luck with grad school and your future in writing Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: IEDs? What SW substances can be used to be explosive? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:

I thought that might work to engage you. I remember the rabbit-walker thread. You thanked one of the four repliers who had said he loved the idea, and you said you would try to draw it. Did you? if so please post a reply in that thread.

Is there any evidence that bacta can treat baldness?

Above is your most recent post before today. Below are some more "post-and-ghost" threads:

What’s better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Do you remember this from either Legends or Canon?

Does hyperspace have any rules anymore?

Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars?

What can be done to improve navicomputers for Hyperspace?

Maximum7 wrote:

Although you don't play the RPG, general (non-game-related) discussion of Star Wars is allowed at this site. Thanks for the personal update. So you are currently in between fanfic writing and professional writing. I wish you the best of luck with grad school and your future in writing Star Wars.

Thank you! I appreciate the well wishes. Sometimes I forget to thank people on forums and I admit I don’t always check my threads. I am a terrible artist so I never got around to drawing the rabbit walker

I played WEG roleplaying 14 years ago and migrated to FFG but didn’t like the system.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Maximum7, I must say, having been made aware of the nature of the many threads and questions posted and asked, I am more than a little irked that these are fishing for ideas to use in writing you hope to be credited for, or for use in your fanfics. I say this as someone who has been paid for written material and who is a relatively unknown writer. Rather than create for yourself or expand on research of existing sources, you are essentially asking a community of gamers and game masters to unwittingly be your ghost writers and create your material for you. To me, the ethics of this with the intent to be a hopeful credited writer using these provided ideas is highly questionable.

While I have shared many unpublished ideas for D6 rules from a defunct project here, I have done so willingly for the good of the D6 and SW D6 community. I would hate to see variations of material I shared show up in a for profit work credited to some one other than me, and this goes ten fold for non-rules based ideas I share. I would suspect I am not alone in this feeling either.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
@Maximum7, I must say, having been made aware of the nature of the many threads and questions posted and asked, I am more than a little irked that these are fishing for ideas to use in writing you hope to be credited for, or for use in your fanfics. I say this as someone who has been paid for written material and who is a relatively unknown writer. Rather than create for yourself or expand on research of existing sources, you are essentially asking a community of gamers and game masters to unwittingly be your ghost writers and create your material for you. To me, the ethics of this with the intent to be a hopeful credited writer using these provided ideas is highly questionable.

While I have shared many unpublished ideas for D6 rules from a defunct project here, I have done so willingly for the good of the D6 and SW D6 community. I would hate to see variations of material I shared show up in a for profit work credited to some one other than me, and this goes ten fold for non-rules based ideas I share. I would suspect I am not alone in this feeling either.

As a novice writer who had & has aspirations of being a paid writer in games & other media, i am in strong agreement with this sentiment. I have had a personal betrayal, years ago when i had taken someone into my confidence to fine tune a book i was working on. The company i was writing it for published a different book on the same subject with many of the same elements and enough differences i couldn't cry foul. My 'confidant' had a minor credit in that book & was involved in a number of subsequent books published by that company.
I did not get that job, and i have been less enthusiastic about trying, after the huge amount of work i'd done being for naught.

It was not my intent to make this manner of post; it was my intent to offer some help in answering your query, but in light of context, i've changed my mind.
I'll however forgive you and offer this advice instead; do your own research, honestly, tried & true. Your writing will be the better for it.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: