The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Terminator Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Terminator Crossover Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder, what skynet's (or an AI like that) Computer prog/repair and (A) computer engineering skill level would be!!

Considering what droid tech is like in the SWU, it'd likely be above average, but not necessarily spectacularly so. But since it was originally built as a "defense network" AI, I'd probably make it a tactical genius, operating in secret via intermediaries and Infiltrator models equipped for etiquette and protocol.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in terminator lore (Terminator 3), it took over damn near every computer in the world, when it was 'unleashed'.. and even the best hackers couldn't stop it...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, in terminator lore (Terminator 3), it took over damn near every computer in the world, when it was 'unleashed'.. and even the best hackers couldn't stop it...

Terminator 3 lore has some conflicts, though. If you look at earlier lore, the breakthrough that allowed for SkyNet to be developed was hardware-based, developed from the CPU of the Terminator from T1. T3 changed SkyNet by making it software based, almost like a sentient computer virus. Honestly, T3 was where the film franchise went off the rails for me. I rather like Terminator: Salvation, but I select from everything else based on whether it fits or conflicts with the first two films.

Plus, the SWU doesn't have anything near the modern world's level of computer networking, so any SkyNet analog would almost certainly have to be a mainframe-scale droid brain in a bunker somewhere, not a software-based program in a network. So, yeah, it almost certainly has excellent Computer Programming skills, but the analogy doesn't carry across the boundaries between the setting.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
...T3 was where the film franchise went off the rails for me.

I agree completely.

Quote:
I rather like Terminator: Salvation, but I select from everything else based on whether it fits or conflicts with the first two films.

I have mixed feelings about Salvation. Overall I enjoyed it and it was part of my permanent collection. The thing I liked most about it others hated, and it is a technique that has been used since, especially in Star Wars, and that was the Digital Arnold. I loved that scene when he stepped out of the chamber, and you knew it wasn't really him - and I loved it because it marked a passage of something in my lifetime from science fiction into reality (in The Running Man they used a "Traveling Matte" in movie dialogue to map Arnold onto a stunt double to fake his death to the audiance, at the time this was pure sci-fi...)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Salvation. Overall I enjoyed it and it was part of my permanent collection. The thing I liked most about it others hated, and it is a technique that has been used since, especially in Star Wars, and that was the Digital Arnold. I loved that scene when he stepped out of the chamber, and you knew it wasn't really him - and I loved it because it marked a passage of something in my lifetime from science fiction into reality (in The Running Man they used a "Traveling Matte" in movie dialogue to map Arnold onto a stunt double to fake his death to the audience, at the time this was pure sci-fi...)

Interesting. I recall being really impressed with how much the T800 in Salvation resembled Arnold from the original, but hadn't really looked into how exactly they'd done it. That's a very cool connection. For me, Salvation works in that none of it (so far as I can tell) conflicts with the first two films. Marcus Wright is, IMO, believable insofar as being an experimental infiltrator variant (that would ultimately be discarded by SkyNet due to compliance issues), plus we get to see plenty of non-humanoid, mission-specific machines like the harvester and the moto-terminator. Yeah, the plot was somewhat muddled, and it doesn't really fit into the established story arc of the first two films, but it doesn't conflict with them enough to be truly objectionable, like the others.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the favorite terminators i saw in salvation, was that snake in the water...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the favorite terminators i saw in salvation, was that snake in the water...

Yup. Definitely good candidates for a fight in a moat or the sewers when the PC group tries to sneak into the AI's main base.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

While time travel is tough sell for the SWU as a whole (the last season of Rebels notwithstanding), there are some other tech options that could potentially have a similar aesthetic. Short version: I'm picturing a cloaked corvette or frigate, crewed entirely by Terminator-type droids, equipped with a teleporter from my WH40K stat crossover. So, the cloaked ship sneaks into range of a planet where one of the SkyNet analog's targets is, then teleports a single Terminator down to the target's general vicinity, then a standard Terminator scenario ensues. The teleporter ship itself could either move on to a new destination or remain in-system to monitor and report back the results, with orders to self-destruct if discovered and capture is imminent.

The tech isn't quite the same (the teleporter allows for the transport of personal equipment, so the subjects wouldn't have to arrive in the nude), but it's the closest thing in my headcanon and stats that allows a Terminator to simply appear out of thin air on a planet's surface in a manner similar to the films.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really been a fan of teleportational tech for SW.. In other genre's it may make sense, but not for Star wars...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never really been a fan of teleportational tech for SW.. In other genre's it may make sense, but not for Star wars...

I agree that ubiquitous, convenient teleportation tech (akin to Star Trek) is not a good fit for the SWU. However, there are indications in the EU that it's possible in specific roles.

In the case of my WH40K Teleporter Crossover, it's very uncomfortable (actually inflicts Stun Damage to those using it) and has a very real chance of either disintegrating the subject or horribly disfiguring them in some way.

I see teleportation being based on wormhole tech, creating tunnels from point to point that bypass intervening space/time and shoving a bubble of realspace through to the other side. It exists alongside hyperdrives as a manner of FTL travel, but is too niche to truly replace it. The only real FTL application would be discovering natural wormholes and using Babylon 5-Style Jump Gates to force ships through, with the proviso that it can only be used to travel to a specific location. Artificial wormhole generation (as used in teleporters) could target specific locations, but would only be usable at short ranges (i.e. from planetary orbit to surface, or vice versa, or similar ranges). I'm also keeping wormhole jump drives on the back burner for advanced races like Eldar and Necrons for my WH40K crossover concept.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, teleport via say a stargate, that's fixed from one place to another, THAT I might see.. Teleport ala star trek, or this sort of pad, is a little straining my "its SW" buttons..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, teleport via say a stargate, that's fixed from one place to another, THAT I might see.. Teleport ala star trek, or this sort of pad, is a little straining my "its SW" buttons..

Well, again, this isn't Trek style teleport, because it's nowhere near as safe or convenient. A WH40K style teleporter is really only usable for emergencies or combat, so it won't be anywhere near as ubiquitous or useful as Trek transporters. As far as general society in the SWU, teleporters would be rare, clunky and not hugely reliable, while other, more advanced societies (like Eldar or Necrons in my WH40K crossover concept) would have access to more capable versions.

As an aside, how do you see your Stargate crossover working without the teleport capability of the Asgard or the Ancients?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stargate like teleportation system of sorts I can see without the ancients and the Asgards.

Could this teleporting be limited and ancient, like Rakatan technology?

Maybe teleporting, not instant, but super duper hyperspeed like x 0,00000000000000000000000000000001, and only between worlds with these gates. maybe as something to explore and investigate, maybe some gates long forgotten, maybe even underground, and other things making a "jump" though them both risky and an adventure by itself.
it can be buryed underground on some worlds, and hidden away on others, this will let this terminator "time travel" or teleport if you will.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

As an aside, how do you see your Stargate crossover working without the teleport capability of the Asgard or the Ancients?

I'd just have the gate system.. no teleporter pads. No asgard beams.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd just have the gate system.. no teleporter pads. No asgard beams.

I prefer to keep my options open, with advanced teleportation tech being one of the potential tools in the bag of tricks used by advanced alien species.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: